Are you guys as excited as me that Dodge is taking 2008 orders?

06blackviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree. The styling was changed in a very noticeable way with simply the hood. Add all the mechanical differences (pretty much the entire drivetrain, etc.) and it is a new car. Just look at the folks that changed from a Gen I RT/10 to a Gen II: Cosmetically it was pretty much a hood change only, but the engines were different - 50 HP in that case. With today's Viper you add all the different exterior and interior colors, wheel options, etc. the 2008 is very different from what you had in 2003 - not to mention a full 90 more horsepower.

The styling is fine and the new hood enhances it even more. If a body style change is your criteria for a new Viper and the performance secondary, don't hold your breath: The first two body styles of the Viper (GTS & RT/10) were produced for eleven years. That would put the next Viper in 2014. And with the current gas prices climbing and the conservation folks dead set against cars like these, this may just be the prime to buy the best American sports car ever made.

Or you could put off buying that '71 Hemi Cuda (convertible or not) to see what 1972 will bring (a detuned 340 was it), or maybe 1975 for a new design of the car (discontinued entirely). You will still be kicking yourself 36 years later and telling your children and grandchildren about that time you almost bought a Hemi Cuda right off the showroom floor.

Or that time you almost ordered that 600 horsepower Viper before the new federal administration killed the muscle car shortly after taking office in 2009. ;)
this is so very true. placed order yesterday with bill at woodhouse. i feel like im 6 years old waiting on christmas to come. this will be a nice addition to my 06 convertible

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quote

before the new federal administration killed the muscle car shortly after taking office in 2009. ;)[/quote]

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:
This crap better not happen:nono: . Don't we elect the people for these positions.:rolleyes:
Maybe we better make sure we don't elect the wrong people to the power positions.:mad:
Does this mean they should kill all racing because of horsepower gas guzzelers:evilmad:
On another note does anyone feel like we are getting royally screwed by the oil companies???:omg: They are making all time record profits in the history of the world but lets have all of the people drive little sh t boxes like a toyota precis(spelling?)and the politicians continue along in their limos and private jets. Gas jumped today from 2.95 to 3.18 what a bunch of sh t.
I paid on Jan 25,2007 $1.93:grumble: :grumble: :curse: :curse:

sorry for the rant I just got on a roll maybe this is in the wrong thread if so feel free to move it Thanks!

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Y2K,

I agree with you this HP war is quickly nearing the end. Your 1971 to 1972 Cuda comparison is right on target but lets add one more factor to the mix that didn't exist in the early 1970 gas crisis. It's GLOBAL WARMING, I think it's for real and so do a lot of other pretty smart folks. I think governments around the world are going to act and act quickly to try to reduce automotive emissions. I don't think we have the technology to build 600 HP green cars yet? New CAFE mileage requirements along with emission restrictions could be enacted quite soon. If Bob Lutz is considering canceling the Camaro project that is very significant in my opinion.

I ordered an 08 from Woodhouse yesterday as well. Unfortunately I won't be alive in 36 years to see the bidding frenzy for Vipers at Barret Jackson but rest assured the Viper will be the car everyone wants in the future. Handbuilt monster big block with limited electronic driver aids lots of factory and private racing history manufactured in small numbers. Can't miss.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys left out the best part other than 600 hp! New versions of "Sublime", "Plum Crazy" and "Go Mango" classic colors. Is there going to be an "Top Banana?"

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I admit I would love to have one of the new 600 HP monsters. If I ever sold my 96 GTS to get one, I do not think I would be taking a back seat with the new one even though the 96 is highly regarded as the first GTS. It would be nice to have them both though.:rolaugh: :rolaugh:

OP
OP
V

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Y2K,

I agree with you this HP war is quickly nearing the end. It's GLOBAL WARMING, I think it's for real and so do a lot of other pretty smart folks. I think governments around the world are going to act and act quickly to try to reduce automotive emissions. I don't think we have the technology to build 600 HP green cars yet? New CAFE mileage requirements along with emission restrictions could be enacted quite soon.

I agree that the governments are gonna try to reduce automotive emissions . But I think that global warming due to our part is blown way out of portion. Ive done some research into it and will share some info so bare with me .......:)

The warming of our planet started thousands of years before SUVs began adding their spew to the greenhouse.

The North American ice sheets reached their largest expanse about 18,000 years ago and then began to recede. Within 5000 years they had pulled back considerably but still reached south as far as central Ohio. After another thousand years, however, the U.S. was largely ice-free.

Logic and chemistry say all CO2 is the same, whether it blows out of a Porsche tailpipe or is exhaled from Al Gore’s lungs or wafts off my compost pile or the rotting of dead plants in the Atchafalaya swamp.

Nature generates about 30 times as much CO2 as does man. Yet the warming worriers are unconcerned about nature’s outpouring.They are just worried about the 3.2 percent caused by humans.

They like to point fingers at the U.S., which generated about 23 percent of the world’s anthropogenic CO2 (caused by humans) in 2003, the latest figures from the Energy Information Administration. In fact, it’s a minor contributor to the greenhouse effect when water vapor is taken into consideration. All the greenhouse gases together, including CO2 and methane, produce less than two percent of the greenhouse effect, according to Richard S. Lindzen of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Lindzen, by the way, is described by one source as “the most renowned climatologist in all the world.”
When water vapor is put in that perspective, then anthropogenic CO2 produces less than 0.1 of one percent of the greenhouse effect.
If everyone knows that water vapor is the dominant greenhouse gas, why do Al Gore and so many others focus on CO2? Call it the politics of the possible. Water vapor is almost entirely natural. It’s beyond the reach of man’s screwdriver. But when the delegates of 189 countries met at Kyoto in December 1997 to discuss global climate change, they could hardly vote to do nothing. So instead, they agreed that the developed countries of the world would reduce emissions of six man-made greenhouse gases. At the top of the list is CO2, a trivial influence on global warming compared with water vapor, but unquestionably man’s largest contribution.
In deciding that it couldn’t reduce water vapor, Kyoto really decided that it couldn’t reduce global warning.

As for the BS of CAFE .... . It does nothing to reduce fuel consumption short term . Because the standards only affect vehicles yet to be made. By making driving less expensive it will encourage more driving . I will drive more with a more fuel effecient SUV. CAFE laws do nothing to foster public transit . The Cafe laws put the entire burden of fuel and CO2 conservation on cars and ignore the industry sources , home energy use , airlines , agriculture , trucking ,locomotives ect. Americas total energy consumption is about 100 quadrillion BTU's in 2005 . the vehicles affected by CAFE only account for 18 percent of that total. CAFE puts the burden on the automakers to make vehicles people don't necessarily want.

A run of 800-1000 08 Vipers = 500-600 garage queens 20 years from now.

Who could ever keep the 2008 in thier garage for that long and hopefully they do so by then I can buy a fresh one after mine is worn out :2tu:

I agree. Regardless of whats underneath the skin, it needs more than slapping on a new hood from a styling point of view. The 600 hp number is kinda cool for magazine bragging rights and benchracing, but there have been 600 to 1600 hp vipers around for a while, just not from the factory!! I am hoping that the 08 it will at least shut up the Zo6 owners for a lil bit though haha

Kind of cool for bragging rights are you kidding me its in amongst cars that are worth 5 times as much ........ You can upgrade a neon to have 1000 hp but its still a neon . This is 600 HP from the factory ,backed by dodge, so if anything goes wrong (which it probably won't ) take it to the Viper tech and will be fixed under warranty .

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've also heard that the temperature change on Saturn (with no life) is very similar to that of planet Earth. One more thing: I believe that God created this wonderful world of ours and has far more control over our environment than we are sometimes willing to admit. Hmmmm. If you can conserve energy and help the polution level more power to you, but for saving the planet - I believe that is beyond our grasp.

May God bless you all - drive those snakes carefully!

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. Regardless of whats underneath the skin, it needs more than slapping on a new hood from a styling point of view. The 600 hp number is kinda cool for magazine bragging rights and benchracing, but there have been 600 to 1600 hp vipers around for a while, just not from the factory!! I am hoping that the 08 it will at least shut up the Zo6 owners for a lil bit though haha

There have been 600 to 1600hp Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes around for a while now too. What's your point?

We're talking about warranty'd 600hp that Dodge knows we are gonna punish at the track. I'm talking several hours of 30 minute sessions doing road work, not a few seconds down a dragstrip. This 2008 Viper will be awesome.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 1970 Hemi Challenger SE with most every option, except for the 8 track player, had a MSRP of $5600, $29,745 in todays dollars. The Hemi option was about $650, $3452 in todays dollars.

For about 12% of the total price the purchaser received 35 more hp over the 440 6 pack (tri carb setup), could not order factory AC and had a 12 month/12K mi. warranty.

Unlike our Vipers Hemi cars were heavy, had crappy handling, and were impracticle for southern climates.

Is it fair to compare present day Vipers which most would love to own but cannot afford with the vintage Hemi car era when few could afford or even wanted the cars?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad