AVOID THIS VENDOR HE CAN'T BE TRUSTED don't delete people need to know !!!

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: AVOID THIS VENDOR HE CAN\'T BE TRUSTED don\'t delete people need to know

Anyone who thinks the vendor is resopnsible for a shipper error is not living in a real world. Once the product is released to DHL UPS etc. the Vendor has completed his part of the transaction. If the buyer wants to insure the shipment for more than the shippers min. it is up to the buyer to request and pay for the additional insurance.

I disagree. Unless the Seller clearly states that the product is FOB, in my opinion he has an obligation to deliver the product, and bears the risk until receipt and reasonable inspection.

Not making a comment on this situation, since I have no facts to work from, but simply making a general observation.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When a claim as this is made, it is between the customer it was shipped to and the shipping co. Not between the seller and the freight company, nor between the seller and the customer. I can see the customer thinking otherwise, but I had a situation with an item I shipped, and it was damaged, they took this up with the customer, no part in this was I to play. I think the customer should fight it out with DHL. I really can understand someone thinking otherwise. I'm sure some companies would just send you out another product, and deal with the shipping co. them selves, but those companies are self insuring the item. Litlle guys like VB550 and my self could never afford this risk. If I as a vendor shipped an item, and insured it for the customer at his request, I'm not insuring the item, I'm only providing him with a service that is only possible by way of the vendor. If I sell you a car and set you up with an insurance company, and you or even I wreck the car, I'm not responsable to settle your claim. I only provided you with a company to insure it with.

What's up with DHL, I use them a lot, and if they ever do this to a customer of mine, especially my Viper buddies, I'll drop them in a heartbeat.

The freight company probably thinks they are being conned. They can't imagine tires for a car costing as much as these do. There getting a bargain. I'd make them pay full replacement cost. There has to be more to this story. If the tires were insured for x amount of $$ and they were lost, this should be so cut and dry. Are we not hearing the full story. It's so easy to prove what these tires cost, and even show what they were sold for. What am I missing here. Seems DHL would pay the claim rightaway, no questions asked.

Id like to hear what DHL really had to say. They could tell the rest of this story I'll bet.

As for that shrink wrapped bumper, well I can tell you this much, most freight companies will not pay a claim for such poor packeging. No way I'd send such a fragile item as the bumper cover wrapped in shrink wrap only,

Skip White

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: AVOID THIS VENDOR HE CAN\'T BE TRUSTED don\'t delete people need to know !!!

Many, many good points made in this thread. The buyer thought he had insurance on the item. Apperantly, so did the seller as points out it says "insured" on his original bill of lading. The buyer states it does not....

I went throught something similar with my project car.... unfortunately, I was the shipper (shipping parts to Ed, the fellow working on my car). When the package did not arrive, I found out that I SHOULD have insured it for the FULL VALUE.... I was able to get UPS to agree to pay out their standard insurance.... $100. So was it isnsured? Yes, and No.... It all worked out in the end, as the package we thought was lost was found... and they actually found a package that was lost (that I did not know they lost). They did not have to pay the $100... and all the goods arrived OK.

If VB did not insure the shipment for the actual amount, verses the standard "base rate" insured amount... all that is claimable is the minimum, which is what it sounds like happened based on the $200 payout. From the original posters comments, he thought he was getting it insured for the full amount, which seems a very reasonable assumption if he was told "It'll be insured".

Fred is right also, if the customer is arranging FOB freight. The customer owns it once it leaves teh shippers dock. That is how the business I work for gets its incoming parts. Once They leave the supplier, the parts are ours... but we are arranging and paying for the freight, insurance, etc. Most big businesses do this.... but most consumer businesses do not.

I just got a new computer from Dell, if it did not arrive.... was I responsible to pay for it? My Vote is a big "No Way". If the shipper can provide proof of delivery to me? "Yes Way".

My four post lift ships Friday. If it does not arrive (the trucker "loses it"), do I still have to pay for it? I certainly hope not........ but I'll ask just out of curiosity and let y'all know.

Bottom line. Make sure any item is insured for it's actual value (which you have to declare to calculate the insurance cost).

Having seen many fraud schemes occur over the years I might add:

Do not:

accept personal checks

accept payment "over the amount" via certified bank check (it is likely a counterfit check).

pay via Western Union, EVER (It is for all practical purposes "Cash")

pay "up-front" for services or merchandise

Do:

use escrow sevices if possible

use local Viper friends to evaluate purchases you cannot see first hand.

use credit cards for merchandise

use trusted suppliers

Side notes

Be careful:

Using credit cards for services as some do not refund for services as it is tough to "prove" the service was not done/provided.

with COD as you must check the "Payment via certified check only" (or something like that) box or the delivery person can unwittingly accept bad checks, fake checks, etc.

Finally:

Absolutlely do not take pocession of a car without a title.

Just my humble opinion(s)

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: AVOID THIS VENDOR HE CAN\'T BE TRUSTED don\'t delete people need to know !!!

I fully see Jay's point, but I can tell you one thing for sure, these big companies are not paying to insure anything. They are self insuring the item.

This really is something small vendors are trusting the freight companies with, and paying outragious rates to cover an item. This is a good topic. I think it should be made clear from the begining, if you purchase an item from us,(the vendor) and you request insurance, and are willing to pay for such, we will insure it, but if their is a claim to be made, it's between you and the freight company. The customer is insuring it's safe arrival, and putting up money that is paid 100% to the shipping company, not the shipper. He doe's not make one dime on this. Why should a vendor be held responsable for the product after it leaves his hands. No way in this world would I expect this if I'm buying a product that doe's not have this built into it's selling price. This is so cut and dry.

Skip White

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When a claim as this is made, it is between the customer it was shipped to and the shipping co. Not between the seller and the freight company, nor between the seller and the customer. I can see the customer thinking otherwise, but I had a situation with an item I shipped, and it was damaged, they took this up with the customer, no part in this was I to play. I think the customer should fight it out with DHL. I really can understand someone thinking otherwise. I'm sure some companies would just send you out another product, and deal with the shipping co. them selves, but those companies are self insuring the item. Litlle guys like VB550 and my self could never afford this risk. If I as a vendor shipped an item, and insured it for the customer at his request, I'm not insuring the item, I'm only providing him with a service that is only possible by way of the vendor. If I sell you a car and set you up with an insurance company, and you or even I wreck the car, I'm not responsable to settle your claim. I only provided you with a company to insure it with.

What's up with DHL, I use them a lot, and if they ever do this to a customer of mine, especially my Viper buddies, I'll drop them in a heartbeat.

The freight company probably thinks they are being conned. They can't imagine tires for a car costing as much as these do. There getting a bargain. I'd make them pay full replacement cost. There has to be more to this story. If the tires were insured for x amount of $$ and they were lost, this should be so cut and dry. Are we not hearing the full story. It's so easy to prove what these tires cost, and even show what they were sold for. What am I missing here. Seems DHL would pay the claim rightaway, no questions asked.

Id like to hear what DHL really had to say. They could tell the rest of this story I'll bet.

Skip White

Skip, for shipping damage, you are correct (the package did arrive). Unless..... the packaging did not meet the requirement of the shipper... shippers need to be double careful with UPS on this one. EVEN IF YOU DO INSURE FOR FULL VALUE, if the item arrives damaged, UPS often states that the item was not packaged per their requirements and tries to wriggle out of payment :( .

UPS packing requirements They leave lots of room for "interpretation" with this statment:

"Make sure all items are separately wrapped and cushioned with sufficient packing material"

UPS insurance is inexpensive:

Overview
Each UPS domestic or international package shipment is automatically protected by UPS against loss or damage up to a value of US$100. For protection above US$100, shippers may declare a value up to certain limits.

Shippers may not declare a value, and UPS does not provide declared value protection for packages or letters having an actual value in excess of US$50,000 even if a lesser amount is specified in the declared value field
International air shipments may be governed by the Warsaw Convention, including its liability limitations

Domestic Services (per package)
Declared Value Charges
$0.00 - $100 $0.00
$100.01 - $300 $1.20 minimum
$300.01 - $50,000 $0.40 per $100 of value

International Services (per shipment)
Declared Value Charges
$0.00 - $100 $0.00
$100.01 - $300 $1.20 minimum
$300.01 - $50,000 $0.40 per $100 of value
Shipments greater than $50,000* Multiply Declared Value by .004
* $50,000 maximum declared value per package

I shipped one of the giveaway items Vis UPS, had the supplier carry it to the UPS store, had the UPS store package it, and insure it.... it arrived broken. The winer did deal directly with UPS, and they paid to fix it.... nice thing about having UPS do it all, nobody to blame but themselves :)

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Now that were all learning some really important things on this post. Listen to this one. I sold an 85lb stereo amplifier, that cost $6,000.00 new, to a customer overseas, and before I shipped it, he asked if I had the original packeging it came in new. I did not, but promised to box it very well. He was and audio dealer, and said, there's no way he would purchase it without the orig. box. He said if the shipping co. damages the unit, and finds it not to be in the orig. carton, they will not pay for the damage on such an expensive and heavy amp. He said he has seen it over and over. He even said he would pay half of the $85.00 price for the orig. carton from the factory. He did not doubt I could wrap and box it safely, he knows it's going to be a problem with the freight company. I shure learned a lot talking to him.

The bumper cover above, was really asking for it. Freight companies are brutal on freight, now we know why products come so well packaged from the factory.

Skip White

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have to say the way that fascia was wrapped is ghetto.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why should a vendor be held responsable for the product after it leaves his hands. No way in this world would I expect this if I'm buying a product that doe's not have this built into it's selling price. This is so cut and dry.

Skip White

I don't know that it's "cut and dry"

My experience: With a damaged Fedex shipment, Fedex's policy was to only work with the shipper for the damage $$$$. I believe this would also be their policy on lost items......if true, then the buyer/customer has NO choice but to rely on the shipper/seller to deal with the shipping company. Bottom line, the tires should have been insured for the full amount....were they ?? Doesn't look like it.... there is no way in hell I would accept less if they were insured in full.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I buy something from a company, and the item never arrives, I will stop any payment pending (credit, etc.). I do not care how big the company is. Period. Not cut and dried for me.

Example - I order a TV from Best Buy. I never state insurance or anything (can't even remember that question). If it does not arrive I call Best Buy first. If they do not have a pleasing answer I call Visa and stop the payment. Now that is cut and dried. I am not paying FOB your dock. That is a normal business practice but not a normal retail practice.

Now if I buy from a person (say via Ebay) the story is different. Then it is my responsibility to request and pay for insurance. If the item does not arrive or is damaged I deal with the shipping company.

Any business that comes on here and acts against the best interest of the customer will not be getting my business in the future. Now that is cut and dried.

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score

i have to say that bumper cover is our "warehouse" fault, we sold the bumper for them, and told them to package it in a box...which they didn't, and we had full insurance on it again......plus the customer got the full refund in NO time.....we got the cover back, and still got it here, and insurance is still has NOT pay us yet....so is there anyting else we can do on that??? be real...sometimes you just can't make everyone happy in this world, no matter what you do....

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ron, I think you misunderstood me when I said, big companies such as, Best Buy, etc. They are self insured, and yes I would expect them to be responsible for damage or loss, and no mention if insurance is needed. If you read my quote again, what you are saying exactly what I'm saying, Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why should a vendor be held responsable for the product after it leaves his hands. No way in this world would I expect this if I'm buying a product that doe's not have this built into it's selling price. This is so cut and dry.

It's the small companies that a clear understanding should be made, that the customer is to be offered ins. and if he accepts and pays for it, he should also handle any claims resulting from damage or loss. When I said buying products with the ins. built in, such as from companies like Best Buy, Dell, of course I would hold them responsible, as I know these products have built in coverage, from the seller. Big companies are wise to take the risk and self insure. The only small companies that self insure, are those that sell very inexpensive items.

How in world did they loose a set of tires? What may have happened was, that the Viper tires are oversize and will not fit on the conveyer belt, and the could have put them aside, as they have to be handled by hand. That's a pretty big item for an employee to be stealing, (a full set of tires)

I shiped a set of these tires, and DHL told me they don't like items this wide, because of the belt they run on. They actually charged me an oversize fee.

Skip

Mike-Tampa

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am kinda new to the forum and I really like the way us Viper owners have a little pull and power when we all stick together. As far as the lost tires go and w/o taking sides I showed your post to my wife who is a real estate attorney here in Fla. If it was real estate she could give a better answer but she said the legal argument would be this: Who has in writing that the tires were to be insured if not delivered..... and who paid for this guarantee?
If the shipper (in writing) said the tires were insured then he needs to follow thru w/ his end. If the buyer was responsible for insurance then it's his deal
to follow up. Either way she says here in Fla you can file a claim with several departments against the vendor for non-performance. The Department of Consumer Affairs is a good one. And the Consumer Fraud Department in another. Remember you need to be able to back up your claim in writing or you are wasting your time. The vendor sounds like a good guy from all the posts so there could be more to this story w/ DHL. The way it sounds though, I would really be hot about the tires. Good luck and I hope this is all resolved.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why should a vendor be held responsable for the product after it leaves his hands. No way in this world would I expect this if I'm buying a product that does not have this built into it's selling price. This is so cut and dry.

Thats laughable. You are saying that if you purchased goods from a company and they are lost by a carrier, and the vendor told you "oh well, you didn't request insurance to cover the loss" you would accept that and take the loss? Are you serious????

Any business that is not operating on a shoe string out of their bedroom that uses carriers like UPS or Fedex insures their orders to end users. For the minimal fee they charge you would be nuts not to. I have been selling on the Internet since '97 and taking credit cards for 25 years.

1. Unless it is expressly written AND agreed to by the customer that his shipment is leaving the vendor uninsured (and the vendor has proof it was agreed to), and it is the customers responsibility to pay for insurance, when the customer does a chargeback on his card for undelivered goods you the vendor WILL LOSE. The vendor will lose any and all money paid by credit card from that customer. No gray area here.

2. The idea that the customer is in any way responsible for filing a claim or laying out any additional money is totally wrong. How is the customer responsible for it not arriving? The VENDOR selected the carrier and the vendor sold the goods and it is the vendors responsibilty to see to it the goods arrive to the consumer. We consider the goods OUR responsibilty until they are delivered to the end user, NOT just to after it leaves our loading dock. Any reputable company would do the same. This is just common sense business practices. Do you want to STAY in business??? We have had shipments of thousands of dollars lost by UPS. After the tracking is confirmed that the shipment was lost we duplicate the order and resend it immediately. Then WE go after the carrire, not the customer. To put the customer in the middle is nonsense. The vendor lays out the money to duplicate the order...period.

3. If a vendor is so small time and so cheap as to make insuring a product an option, RUN away. It adds virtually nothing to the shipping costs and should not even BE an option.

Again, always use a credit card. This whole situation would have never occured as the credit card comapny would have sided with the consumer and VenomBlue would have lost all the funds. Sounds to me alike a bit of a shoestring operation at best anyway.

Had VenomBlue just reshipped the order, took the loss or what ever funds he could recover and moved on he would have been getting PRAISE here from the customer. Instead he is getting thrashed. Was that worth the $600.00 loss?? Next time he will insure the goods, unfortunately there may not be many next times now.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why should a vendor be held responsible for the product after it leaves his hands. No way in this world would I expect this if I'm buying a product that doe's not have this built into it's selling price. This is so cut and dry.

Skip, I just bought a set of your exhaust tips and am very satisfied with the transaction. Had I seen your above comment on this post prior to ordering from you I wouldn't even have considered it. Like I said earlier the customer is responsible for delivering the payment, the vendor is responsible for delivering the product.

The good part of this thread is that vendors who think there responsibility ends at the point of shipment are revealing themselves for potential customers to consider in making their decisions to purchase. :usa: :usa:

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I would guess that he doesn't accept Credit Cards. Come on Venomblue, step up to the plate and give this guy his money back.

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have ordered the more than a few of his products and recently ordered HIDs. Unfort, when they arrived one of the ballasts was bad. He promptly sent me a brand new set. I shipped him the old ones back and he sent me a paypal for my shipping expense. Great products and great to do business with.

Somehow DHL has to pay for this.

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds like R and J are pretty good to refund $400.00 for a shipper losing the tires.

Why blame R and J for DHL losing your tires?

Did you pay for shipping insurance? If not you lose and it is not R and J's problem!

Are you for real? I see you always comment in these kinds of posts. Let me ask you this...

If you purchased say 10 shirts from LL Bean, paid with a credit card, and the shirts never arrived. What would your expectation be? Would you expect LL Bean to send you new shirts or refund your money? I certainly would.

Additionally you chose to read this persons post and not acknowledge that he states he was told it was ship insured.

It is the seller's responsibility to make sure that the product gets to your door. Whether they want to play insurance games or not.

Another point in the above is that he is a reseller - he buys at wholesale - thus he is out an amount LESS than the retail cost of the tires. Although his response fails to account for that. That being said...its a moot point. He's response for getting to the customer's door.

If a credit card was used the credit card company would ask for PROOF OF DELIVERY from the seller, not proof of shipment. They would not be able to provide it - as such it would be immedicately reversed.

A word of caution to all. I had my business switch to DHL and had nothing but problems. Multiple lost shipments, long ship times and big losses for almost $5k. I quickly switch back.

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Businesses use FOB from the shipping point quite frequently. So Fred is correct if the "customer" is a business and the sales contract is written clearly FOB ship point. However, retail customers cannot be expected to have business relationships with the trucking industry and other shippers. Thus in most cases retail customers shipments are FOB delivery point. That is the customer does not take ownership until receipt of the goods.

Sorry for the losses but the vendor has the responsibility to ensure the goods are delivered.

Absolutely right on. BtoB FOB ship point. Retail FOB delivery point. Period.

BTW ..I'm a Platinimum Powerseller on Ebay and the Powerseller community operates the same way. Most folks have realized even with Ebay auctions that have the buyer pick or choose whether they want insurance is too risky because any credit card company or Paypal will immediately side with the buyer should the seller not be able to show proof of DELIVERY.

Now shipping damage is not as clear cut though...

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"When a claim as this is made, it is between the customer it was shipped to and the shipping co. Not between the seller and the freight company, nor between the seller and the customer. "

Skip, this is not an accurate statement. I think you may be confusing a damage claim with a LOSS claim.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The point should also be made that there are different kinds of purchases being discussed here. We can't be confusing individual to individual purchases, or Ebay to individual purchases as the all have different stipulations and tend to be check or Pay Pal type payments with more of a "buyer beware" factor involved. My point was an actual established retailer to consumer. Not a side job off the books type of business.

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

bottom line, he got cheap and it cost him

VIPER COLIN UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi, just thought I would tell you about my dealings with Ron. I bought among other parts 3 Viper headlights, I knew that they were pre owned but was told by him that they were in good condition and I paid good money for them. When they arrived here in the UK all of them are broken, the black plastic parts for bolting them to the car were all broken off, and one looked like the lense had been sand blasted. Totally useless. When I phoned to complain, Ron said that that's the best he could do, even though he had told me they were perfect. I got no money back.
He also shipped me a wrong part and initially was not going to ship the correct part as it would cost him alot of money?? for his mistake??? But eventually he did send it.
I won't be using him again, I got the feeling that because I lived in the UK I didn't matter

TomSlick

Viper Owner
Reaction score

be real...sometimes you just can't make everyone happy in this world, no matter what you do....

This is a lame excuse. I've been in the retail business for over 20 years, and that's not the attitude to have if you're going to be around very long.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

First let me say I have dont ALOT of businessw ith Venomblue and he has always been on the ball with me.

Heres an example tho..

Just the other day I orderd a "sneaky pete" logo from Neil UK and it got here in 3 days (from the UK thats pretty fast) and they were damaged, So I send Neil a Pm and let him know, know what his response is?? "ohh ok I'll get a new set out to ya tomorrow" NOW keep in mind Neil will not let me pay until I recive and LIKE the product. BTW this is not the first time I have orderd and judging by his business practices it will not be the last.

P.S. after reading this thread I will NOT be buying from Skip white lol

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In Venomblue's defense I think hes looking at it as a person to person deal where both parties are "equal" (for lack of a better term) where its like "ok deal went south because of shipping lets split the loss" rather then a business to customer deal where the business would eat the loss.

I know I explained it a little weird but I THINK hes looking at it this way.....

example: im selling a TV to someone local and me and him are carring the TV into his house and we drop it whos fault is it? we both had a hand in to so we split the loss, thats how I THINK he may be looking at it, I may be wrong.

Again not saying if its right or wrong im just saying this is what I believe hes thinking. no I did not call Miss Cleo (shes in jail anyway she'd have to use her 1 phone call to call me and it would be collect....

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just curious about the insurance with DHL. Was it insured for retail value or wholesale? Otherwise, I think DHL could be sued (or at least never use their services again).

Sounds like a bad deal for both sides. That's why I ALWAYS use a credit card for those types of purchases. By law, you don't have to honor a credit card charge for something (goods or services) that you never received.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I side with the original poster as well. A collections problem with a shipper is not the customer's fault nor responsibility. When I order something and it doesn't show up, I don't pay - and I really don't care WHY the vendor didn't deliver, thought I might consider it when contemplating future purchases.

Me, too. Give the buyer his money back. This is outrageous!

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Off topic, but make sure you use a credit card for air travel. Once, I bought several thousand dollars worth of airline tickets for a trip my wife and I were taking, several months in advance. A week before our departure the airline went bankrupt and canceled all flights. People who had paid by cash or check, lost their money. I bought tickets on another airline, and upon our return, was credited back by the credit card company, the full amount of the original tickets.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In Venomblue's defense I think hes looking at it as a person to person deal where both parties are "equal" (for lack of a better term) where its like "ok deal went south because of shipping lets split the loss" rather then a business to customer deal where the business would eat the loss.

I know I explained it a little weird but I THINK hes looking at it this way.....

example: im selling a TV to someone local and me and him are carring the TV into his house and we drop it whos fault is it? we both had a hand in to so we split the loss, thats how I THINK he may be looking at it, I may be wrong.

Again not saying if its right or wrong im just saying this is what I believe hes thinking. no I did not call Miss Cleo (shes in jail anyway she'd have to use her 1 phone call to call me and it would be collect....

What does is matter if he delivered to you ok. In this instance he is ripping off the customer. Put your self in those shoes, I think most seem to agree Venomblue is responsible to refund entirely and get compensated from the shipping company.

Prime example is I purchased many expensive items from ViperMed at Elite Motorsports, all of which were great!!! I received everything I was supposed to in a timely matter. But on the other hand it appears not everyone else was as lucky. It sure makes me think twice about doing business with folks like this. For me personally I will not take my chances or support vendors who rip fellow viper owners off, NO WAY!!

SNKBITN

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Stugots, if venomblue was just someone that was selling a set of tires from one VCA member to another, then your analogy would be correct. But that's NOT the case here. Venomblue is a VENDOR, doing business as a VENDOR, and a recommended VCA VENDOR (VENDOR - someone who promotes or exchanges goods or services for money.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi