Bleed Down Lifters

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone outhere knows what good after market lifters I can use that wont bleed down like the OEM on my 02' creampuff?

I'm installing a set of p&p heads with a high lift cam and I've been told that the factory lifters will not work with the new springs on these heads due to they will bleed down once I hit 4500 rpm.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Does anyone outhere knows what good after market lifters I can use that wont bleed down like the OEM on my 02' creampuff? Any suggestions?
Thank you,

PartsRack

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be interested to know if their is any truth to this. I like the idea of a bleed down lifter with a long duration cam, as it helps boost low end torque normally lost with the longer duration. How much seat pressure and open pressure are we talking about with those springs? Most standard hydraulic lifters may experience lifter pump up with excessive RPM. Now your making me wonder. Anyone with real life Viper 00-02 lifters experience this? What are the spec's on this cam? Duration @ .050, lobe center, lift?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems to be the first I've read about anything different regarding creampuff lifters.. I'll have to keep an eye on this thread :)

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Currently I'm changing the heads/headers/rockers...and non bleed down lifters with the stock creampuff cam...so I'm waiting to see the results on the dyno compared to a car with a 708 cam and the same mods.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Currently I'm changing the heads/headers/rockers...and non bleed down lifters with the stock creampuff cam...so I'm waiting to see the results on the dyno compared to a car with a 708 cam and the same mods.

It'll be impossible to isolate the actual HP loss/gain due to lifter type doing it all at once though..

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a thread a few months back re: the 708 cam in 00 and later cars. Chuck Tator said that the lifters are definitely different. He knows part numbers, etc.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a thread a few months back re: the 708 cam in 00 and later cars. Chuck Tator said that the lifters are definitely different. He knows part numbers, etc.

I am aware that the 2000+ cars use a different lifter(bleed down type), but that doeas not mean that you can't use the later lifter style. My real question is if this stated high rpm bleed down actually occurs with heavier valve springs or if it's a sales tactic.

OP
OP
F

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I know is that the person that did my heads is probably one of the most knowledgeable individual for viper cylinder heads around and he is well known on this site.

I'm refering to none other than Greg Good! He has warn me about using the 00' thru 02' bleed down lifters on his heads. As a matter of fact he recommends to use the OEM pre 99' lifters instead. But I am looking to see who made the OEM lifters for Dodge.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the 00-02 lifters are made to bleed down at low rpm for a smoother idle (like Rhoads lifters) and pump UP at higher rpm for max cam lift, but don't?

Is that the problem with the newer OE lifters or?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just thinking...seems like one definite thing not to do is to use used lifters on a new cam.

Reaction score
I don't know all I would like to about the lifter situation. There have been a good number of aftermarket lifters that have failed. This info comes from several tuners going back several years. Axles coming out is the usual culprit. Right now I don't trust any of the aftermarkets so I tell people to get a low mileage set of OEM 96-99 lifters because they have a good track record. The 2000-2002 Creampuff bleed down lifters IMO aren't good for anything other than use with the stock camshaft and stock spring pressures.

I realize that an aftermarket company supposedly sells to Dodge, but there is an inconsistency in durability between what Dodge puts in their Viper engines and what the tuners are getting. I "think" the quality control is better on the lots going to the OEM. Just a guess. My info is that componies like Clevite and FM source their parts from various third party manufacturers then package/sell them. If so, then when they change vendors, they could be getting a wholly different lifter, quality-wise.

The Viper is supposed toshare lifters with the 360 Dodge Magnum. At least they show the same part number in the aftermarket catalogs. Crane Cams offers a top shelf lifter for the 360 Dodge Magnum (which oils through the pushrod like a Viper). It's expensive, but it may be a good alternative to rolling the dice on an FM or Clevite.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg, anything else you recommend when rebuilding an 01 to forged? that post was really helpful.

Reaction score
Yeah. Get a set of custom pistons. Set the pistons up with "0" deck, meaning the piston is flush with the deck. Then run a Cometic .040" gasket. The engine will be a lot less likely to detonate, and it will have more compression without cutting a bunch off the heads.

I haven't checked a creampuff engine, but the 96-99 cars have the pistons .035" in the hole. Using a stock gasket they end up with about .085" quench. Your target quench is .040"-.045". You can do it with zero deck and a .040" Cometic gasket, use have the pistons madee so that they are .010" out of the hole with a stock gasket.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I
... (which oils through the pushrod like a Viper).

What does that say for hardened pushrods (like I put in my SRT-10)? They were solid, as I recall ...

Also, I too am wondering about lifter options for an SRT-10 ... I'm thinking of going to a behive spring (and maybe Titanium valves), and wondering if I need to change out the stock lifters?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960