Blower belt popped off

Ted Bigham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The serpentine belt that runs everything (including my Roe S/C) popped off the other day when I was moving my car in the driveway. I noticed it immediately when my steering lost power. Luckily I wasn't going anywhere.

Can someone tell me if this is the kind of thing that can "just happen", or does something else have to be wrong for a belt to come off. Less than a week ago, I actually had the hood open and noticed the belt was tight. I might not be a good judge of how tight it's supposed to be, but seemed as tight as any other serpentine belt I've ever messed with.

Of course, I'll check all the components the belt touches and make sure they're all still firmly attached, and rotating normally. I'm just wondering if this is a warning of something else, that other people have seen.

I also noticed a while back that the belt was a little chewed up. I think an entire rib came off all the way around. Someone told me that was pretty normal, but I'd like a second opinion on that, if anyone has one.

Thanks

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That rib coming off is not normal on a Roe and your stock pullies. It is normal on a centrifical. Check the crank pulley to make sure it is secure and the balancer bolt is tight (was your balancer pinned ?) and check the power steering pulley...it's plastic. And be sure and check the power steering bracket that is between the pump and the drivers side head.....they tend to break. If all is good, slap a new belt on and see what happens. Oh yea...double check the power steering bracket ;)

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I would say that it is a good chance that your power steering bracket or pulley is either loose or is about to break. A few months ago, my power steering pump bracket broke which caused the belt to come off. If it is the pulley, replace with a march pulley instead of another plastic one. If it's the bracket that's broken, replace with an aftermarket bracket that Doug Levin sells which is stronger.....Good Luck!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lost mine when the power steering pulley broke (cheapo plastic) one week after I bought the car and I was driving. That sucked. Spent half a day on a Saturday on the side of the road waiting for a flatbed to pick me up.

Casey 111

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a rule for how much slack to leave on the belts? Iv heard 1/4 in. before but i believe it was for something else.

OP
OP
T

Ted Bigham

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think i've heard 1/4 in for chains before. I'm pretty sure belts need be be tighter than that.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That rib coming off is not normal on a Roe and your stock pullies. It is normal on a centrifical. Check the crank pulley to make sure it is secure and the balancer bolt is tight (was your balancer pinned ?) and check the power steering pulley...it's plastic. And be sure and check the power steering bracket that is between the pump and the drivers side head.....they tend to break. If all is good, slap a new belt on and see what happens. Oh yea...double check the power steering bracket ;)

I have had 3 centrifical blower and 1 roots type car(s) and never had a belt pop off. Any belt popping off is not normal!

vd..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte