Brake torque spec

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok changed my brakes last night. Doesanyone know the torque spec of the 2 bolts that attach the caliper to thespindle?

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rotors, yes. I guess I read it as he was just changing pads. I'll probably change my rotors and refinish my calipers again this winter.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does everybody else have fried dust boots.........or is it just me?.......I have two full sets of calipers, so I will be doing somthing about it this Winter, curious what others are doing. :dunno:

Longdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember that 996 Porsches that used the same (or very similar) calipers, with identical bolts, specified 60 ft/lbs. You were also supposed to use brand new bolts every time you took your calipers off (I don't think so).

On my 09, I tested the bolts with the torque wrench first time I changed the rotors (even though I am not the first owner, I do not believe calipers were ever taken off) - they loosened up around 70 ft/lbs.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did a rotor changeout about a year and a half ago and asked Chuck "the Viper Wizard" Tator the same question. His answer was 85 ft lbs.

Reaction score
Allan,

This is for the two large hex head bolts that attach the calipers, are you talking about the bolts that hold the hub on instead?

Not to question, but my service info says 55ft lbs. We are talking about the caliper mounting bolts, right? This is an 11mm x 1.5 bolt into aluminum. -am I under torquing?

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a timely thread, as I changed my pads and rotors this weekend as well.
Unfortunately, NTB had over torqued a lugnut when they put on my new tires and the stud broke when I went to remove the lugnut.
MY QUESTION:
Isn't there supposed to be a divit behind the hub so yuo can get the old stud out and the new stud in? I cannot find it for the life of me!

Reaction score
You don't want to "pull" a new stud in anyway, you need to pull the hub off and press them in and out, then re install the hub. If one was bad I would suggest doing them all at the same time because chances are good the rest are also stretched.

This is a timely thread, as I changed my pads and rotors this weekend as well.
Unfortunately, NTB had over torqued a lugnut when they put on my new tires and the stud broke when I went to remove the lugnut.
MY QUESTION:
Isn't there supposed to be a divit behind the hub so yuo can get the old stud out and the new stud in? I cannot find it for the life of me!

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks MJorgensen.
I knew it could'nt be as simple as it would be for an "ordinary" car. I'm bringing it down to a professional in the morning.
And I will definitely have him check the rest.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't want to "pull" a new stud in anyway, you need to pull the hub off and press them in and out, then re install the hub. If one was bad I would suggest doing them all at the same time because chances are good the rest are also stretched.

Yup, happened to me at the old Viperdays event, stretched one so Archer did them all at the track on that hub.

OP
OP
A

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry guys yes I was talking about the 2 hex bolts

Had to change my rotor hats

Running Mintex up front, brakemans - its an amazing set up. I only wish my race cars brakes felt as good as the Viper's brakes