Buying a Gen IV Viper next weekend, need help!

czu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everybody, after many years of admiring Vipers I am finally ready (and able) to get one. I am looking at a red convertible 2009 from an individual who lives in Harrison Township, MI (near Detroit). I have a few questions and would really appreciate some advice:

1. Car was involved in an accident (right front impact). Apparently, the car ran off the road and it hit a utility pole, the damage was reported to carfax and autocheck as a "minor accident". I believe the fender was replaced but I'm wondering if there is anything specifically I should be concerned about?

2. Since this car will likely require inspection from an expert, does anybody know of a Viper technician in that area?

3. I continue to read comments about Viper owners who avoid driving on the rain.. Is there a particular reason, other than the risk of having an accident due to the power of the car?

4. I live in Scottsdale AZ, it gets hot and I am planning to use this car as a DD. I average 8-10k miles per year and generally against traffic. Anything I should be concerned with?

Again, I appreciate everybody's help and look fwd to interacting and contributing to the VC forums!

SRT101969

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO (considering I live in Mexico City, heavy traffic). Viper is not a DD car, worst vs traffic. These cars are made for speed. "driving in the rain", as you have rear traction with huge amount of torque, if you don't know what you're doing car control can be lost easily if pushing throttle with wet floor. These is not particular for the Viper but for anyother car with rear transmission+ huge torque.
"Gets hot" it will get hotter as exhaust heat gets into your cabin, again IMHO this is not a DD car to be taken with traffic in a city. YOU WILL ENJOY THE CAR in roads or tracks, specially if you learn to take control over it.

OP
OP
C

czu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes perfect sense. I plan on driving daily but I hardly ever face traffic (that's what I meant by "against traffic").. Luckily it doesnt rain very often in AZ, and I dont have to drive it when it does.. I was just curious. I appreciate the reply.

If anybody can assist me with any known techs in Harrison Township I'd really appreciate it.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To anyone who isn't aware.

LEE HAS NOT AND WILL NOT RESIGN! In fact, he has now removed from office and banned anyone who has been actually having open discussions with anyone else. This includes Randall, Maurice, and probably Tony by the time I write this. He is cleaning house of anyone and everyone who knows his shady dealings, instead of stepping down like he originally said. NOTHING will be changing at the VCA except the fact that the VCA is OVER. Lee has gone completely rogue and is doing everything possible to shut anyone up who knows anything. The problem is, A LOT of NEW information is flowing on the other Viper sites. After these current moves, you can be 100% sure that there are some really bad things that they cannot afford to have known, and the relationship with Chrysler/SRT is 100% dead (I'm sure they have already been made aware of Lee's latest dictator moves).

I URGE YOU TO CONTACT YOUR LOCAL PRESIDENTS IMMEDIATELY AND GET THE FULL STORY (OF WHAT HAS BEEN RECENTLY DONE) AND TELL THEM THAT YOU 100% EXPECT THEM TO WITHDRAW FROM THE VCA AT THIS VERY MOMENT! There are already additional directors and founding VCA officers resigning and cutting ties (and not with very good language to Lee either).

Please check the other sites and see for yourself. If anyone needs to reach me after this, I go by the same user name on the other sites. Something tells me I will not have access to this site within a few minutes of posting this.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am on the bandwagon TD

Czu, accidents are rarely minor in a Viper so ask for lots of documentation from body shops, insurance co. etc. Besides having it checked out by someone capable.

Driving in the rain is not a problem as long as you realize that it hurts traction so will have to go easy on the gas. Our big tires will also hydroplane much easier than a skinnier tire so will have to pay very close attention to standing water and flooding roads. I have driven in torrential rains all the way from Salt Lake City Utah to Las Vegas (400 miles) and again in South Carolina and made it but really was wishing I didn't have to at the time.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CZU, many do not drive in the rain to keep their car pristine and some have the rain baffle removed on the intake. Its not due to the power as that is controllable, hopefully. Look elsewhere for your Viper purchase IMO as there are many to choose from without damage history. Look at the classifieds here plus check with Viper dealers such as Tomball Dodge Viper Exchange and Woodhouse Dodge as they both usually have a great selection and are very knowledgable.

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dangerous to drive these in the rain although some people do it. Most others like myself choose not to drive it daily or in the rain in order to keep it in pristine condition.

I have a Gen IV with high flow cats which helps tremendously with the cabin heat problem, and once the temperature gets above 75 outside, the air conditioning doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the heat generated by the engine and exhaust coming in from the pipes in the sills. If it gets to 85 or above, it tends to get rather toasty and sweaty in the cabin of the car before long, and if it is 95 or higher outside, you will sweat off 5-10 pounds every time you take the car out for a spin as it becomes a moving sauna despite the best efforts of the A/C system blowing cold air at you. Problem is that the seats heat up and the side and floor heat up, so it feels hotter than it should.

Therefore it is not a DD in my honest opinion in a very hot place like Arizona, nor is it a car that you want to drive with in the rain if you care about the future condition of the car or your safety while driving the car. Best to use these cars as a weekend fun car, or a supplement to a DD that you use on nice weather days. I'm sure some may disagree with me about this, but we all enjoy our Vipers differently so that's to be expected. Best luck to you on your purchase!

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoboken, I live in houston, many hot days. I almost always drive with the windows open and A/C on fan speed 3. With the windows up the cabin gets cold. Make sure you have it set in recirculate mode.

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it's because my car is a vert and the sun really has a major effect on the temperature of the roof as a result. All I know is that my car now blows ice cold A/C and it still gets pretty hot in the car when it gets warmer outside.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driving in the rain now and then hurts the pristine condition of a car?
What does it do exactly that can't be cleaned up, the same as when a car is washed.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Convertible vipers just plain **** when it's raining......it's boring!...wipers r slow....crack the window and the rain likes to roll in from the corner of the windshield. I love driving mine, but I'm also glad I don't have to drive it everyday. It doesn't matter what others say, you have your mind set, so go spend the cash and enjoy the car

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it's because my car is a vert and the sun really has a major effect on the temperature of the roof as a result. All I know is that my car now blows ice cold A/C and it still gets pretty hot in the car when it gets warmer outside.

I am going to have to disagree with you on this. My car is also a vert and have logged over 17k now. The AC blows plenty cold to keep the inside temps comfortable even when toasty outside. The roof is also water tight and has never leaked a drop. Not sure why you would want to crack the windows when it is raining?

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am going to have to disagree with you on this. My car is also a vert and have logged over 17k now. The AC blows plenty cold to keep the inside temps comfortable even when toasty outside. The roof is also water tight and has never leaked a drop. Not sure why you would want to crack the windows when it is raining?

Same here with my 09 vert. It can be 95 degrees outside and the cabin is cold enough to chill a keg of beer. Have no leaks to speak of either. MtnBiker might be right about recirculate mode.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ya i dont understand cabin being hot. You've got some problems if this is your case. It could be 100here with 120 humidity and my car always stayed confy with the AC on.

HobokenViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider yourselves lucky if you don't have problems with your Vipers cooking you. Like I said, mine just tends to heat up and can't seem to keep up entirely with the heat outside once it is above a certain temperature. It's really the seat, inside sills, and floor that heat up the most, and by the time I get where I'm going, the back of my shirt is usually a little sweaty. Not terrible, but it's a bit uncomfortable and not a car I'd drive every day as a result. I have just 3,300 miles on the clock and everything works perfectly. Car was just at Chuck Tator's for an oil change and service, and all checked out perfectly.

As for driving in the rain.....there are clearly 2 schools of thought here. There are those who drive their Vipers very often or even daily, and in any and all weather conditions or just have no issue driving in the rain, and there are guys like me who will never drive their cars in rain, or when there is even a hint of water on the ground. Neither way is right or wrong, it's just how we all choose to enjoy our cars.

Personally, I may fully wash my car once a year very carefully, and otherwise it's a pure maintenance job with waterless washes and detailing sprays, wax, and keeping a cover on her in the garage. Driving in the rain kicks up and sprays water and dirt into the engine bay and undercarriage where it would not have gotten otherwise, and can cause certain exposed surfaces to age or deteriorate earlier than they would have if not driven in those conditions. Some of those areas are extremely difficult to wash or clean. Again, I keep my car primarily as an occasional cruiser and a show car, so I'm probably a bit more anal about the cleanliness of my car than most are. What I need is a 2nd Viper to use more often that I won't care as much about getting dirty and for track use...and I'm sure I will get one at some point. All I can say is that if I do ever sell my Viper one day (which is highly unlikely), it will be one of the best examples in existence for that year. I'm sure that most buyers would prefer to buy a car that was meticulously cared for and never driven in the rain, than a car that was raced and driven daily or taken out in the rain.

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree with the others on the AC. I have a 08 vert in south Louisiana! AC will chill the inside! Not a DD but got caught in rain a few times( almost impossible not to down here), no problems if you use your head!! No fun watching others blow by you on wet interstate though!! Feels like torture!!

SLViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2010 Vert No heat issues, I have idled in traffic 98F and sunny for extended lengths of time, AC keeps it quite cool. Engine temps normal.
All my other Vipers engine heat would rise and AC would cool but not nearly as cool as the 2010!

ohiotj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would be very hesitant to buy one that was wrecked. You have to get a great deal on it, get it inspected, and be ok if it's not perfect. I would wait for another one if it were me.

OP
OP
C

czu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I really appreciate everybody's advice, you are a great group of people. I spoke to the GM from the collision center that performed the repair and he idicated that the impact was minimal and the car is in outstanding shape. I also sent the repair paperwork to another expert and got the same message. I am picking it up this weekend, you have no idea how excited I am about buying this car. Hopefuly I will meet those of you who live in AZ at some point.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! :2tu:

I think we may have a little bit of an idea about how excited you are. Been there, done that :D

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congratulations and good luck with the Gen IV. I have two and they are amazing. The only caveat is to go slow, get used to the car and don't get on the loud pedal hard unless your wheels are pointed straight ahead and you are in a safe zone. Take care and enjoy! There's nothing else like the Viper.
Guys, I really appreciate everybody's advice, you are a great group of people. I spoke to the GM from the collision center that performed the repair and he idicated that the impact was minimal and the car is in outstanding shape. I also sent the repair paperwork to another expert and got the same message. I am picking it up this weekend, you have no idea how excited I am about buying this car. Hopefuly I will meet those of you who live in AZ at some point.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CZU, good luck with your purchase. You're fortunately to have Eddie Martin from Bill Luke Dodge close by. If you buy that one or any other viper, make a date with Eddie to look it over. He's one of the best viper tech's there is and is a straight shooter and will help you maintain and/or improve you viper. Best wishes, Mike

rukcus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The viper has been my DD for the last 3 years except when its winter. If you don't mind the awkward getting in and out of the car then you are fine. I feel bad for people who buy these cars and don't drive the piss out of them.

OP
OP
C

czu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great information! I will make sure and contact Eddie next week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper