Camber adjustment bolts

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

I had an alignment done a few years ago and was told one of the cam adjustments had broken it's weld and would need to be replaced before I got another alignment done. The tech at that time went ahead and welded the lobe to the bolt of the one that was broke.

Yesterday I went for an alignment (not tracking anymore and want to get more milage from my tires) and now all 4 bolts have broken their welds.

Is this normal? I would assume not but all 4 at the same time? I haven't hit any curbs or anything to break stuff. Is it possible I had too agressive of a camber setup originally and that caused the problems? I don't want to replace these ($330.00) and find out something else is causing this.

Just curious...Thanks
Todd

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what i remember our bolts look like this:

You must be registered for see images

So your saying the lobe at the head of the bolt has come loose?

Can it spin completely around?

All of my bolts have a slight amount of play in the lobe that slides over the threads. This is annoying for fine adjustment and marking positions as the head of the bolt can be turned a couple degrees before the end lobe picks up the slack and turns. I think this is normal.

Last edited:
OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes that's them. I watched the tech turn the bolts all the way around and the lobes weren't moving. I'm refering to the lobes as those "washers" in your picture. I don't have them off yet so I don't know if the bolt has notched out or the "key" in the washer, lobe piece has rounded out.

I do know on the previous repair that the tech welded the lobe on the head of the bolt back to the bolt. I think this is what has happened to all of them this time also.

Todd

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Steve...only problem is the shop I took it too would only replace parts that they purchased. I told them I'd go to Dodge and get them but no-go. I even told them if they had to buy them look into Dodge Dakota parts (been there) I'd already paid them for the alignment and they did offer to refund that but I figured if they were gonna buy'em and replace them...go for it. They told me the cams were $45 a PIECE X4 plus labor and my contribution to the uuummm...Government entitlement programs... for a total of $330. It's 97 degrees outside and I've got fly fishing to do anyway.

I can only think hitting rumble strips at tracks caused this...but..who knows?

Thanks
Todd

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yank the car out of that shop and do it yourself. Very easy to do. Never go back. You are being targeted for Viper gouging...............:mad:

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99' I hear ya..I didn't price them from Dodge but I figure that's probably in the ball park. I have the car, they were able to get it close to neutral (spec). According to them the only ones available are in Orlando FL. I've never had Dodge do any work on my car..I hear horror stories about the pricing for an alignment. Previously I was taking it to a speed shop and paying, as I recall, around $225 VS Dodges APP $895.

i was actually in a tire store to buy front tires that were toasted from the track alignment, I inquired if they could even do an alignment i.e. previous comments.
I won't mention the chain until this episode is over..I will say I had to go to a different store that had a lift that came up from underground.

I know installing the cam bolts would be easy...still gotta be aligned..Unless I can spend $200 in gas to drive to your house and you align it. :) we could have some southern wiskey :)

Todd

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a full set of used bolts, Would ba happy to send them to you. That way you don't have to buy the over priced Midas parts..........................:D

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ha ha...close but just a little outside!!..if it were a strike out it would start with a K ..BUT I've had great service from 1 location, only problem..couldn't get the car on the alignment rack..so another location had a rack that is flush to the deck that I could drive up on.

Used bolts? You think I want to go through this S**t again? I still can't figure out how all 4 of the ones I have are jacked!?!?

Got any ideas?

Todd

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Todd, Once you get the old bolts off i would very much like to see detailed pictures of them.

Also, a Tip for everyone:
After getting an alignment done Mark the positions of the bolts with something(i use a paint pen). This way, if you ever hit a nasty pothole or just have tracking issues you can jack the corners up and pop your head under there to see if any of the bolts slipped. And if they did slip. You are able to DIY and put back rather than spend $$$$ to realign at a shop.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you hit something hard enough to turn a cam bolt, you likely bent something as well. Turning the bolt may get you close again, but get back to the shop and have it checked. Most shops offer a Lifetime alignment so this shouldn't be an issue anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I haven't hit anything other than the rumble strips at probably Road Atlanta turn 3.

I'll get some pics when the shop calls me to let me know the bolts are in.

The shop does have the Lifetime Alignment deal but thats a good tip for a quick inspection!

Thanks,
Todd

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yours do look different than mine...Mine look like Dom426hs pic.
And I noticed that when they were doing my alignment they lifted the car
so not to bend the ears flanges that the cam bolts adjust on dont get bent.
If the weight is on the front end while you adjust them I could see that happening.
Then your cam bolt wont make any adjustment.

I guess they will both work but i would get the factory bolts.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is pretty common, more so on track cars that have many alignments done. You might consider changing to shims like we use on the race cars (Comp Coupe and ACRX). They are sold by Dodge Motorsports and most likely available through the VPA.

boman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Follow the instructions in the service manual. After loosening the cam nuts, the ears on the frame must be pried out before turning the cam bolt to make the adjustment. This is to disengage nibs on the face of the bushing. Otherwise the cams will break loose when the bolt is turned to make the adjustment. The nibs bite into the ears to prevent the adjustment from slipping.

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll keep this in mind if/when I need to take it back in for an alignment.

I do have to say that with the current alignment, this car is WAY easier to drive on the street. With the track alignment it would grab every rut or groove in the pavement. I sometimes felt that the car was driving me instead of me driving the car. Now there are no sudden jerks of the steering wheel. I'm back in control! It's truely like a different car!

Todd

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62