Chuck Tator Featured in Wards Dealer Business Magazine

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What a story !! This one deserves to be on Larry King !

This story shows how weak Dodge marketing is.
This type of business could be used in commercial tv adds during major sport event to boost sale.

People want to buy dream cars that make them dream and have history. Tator is part of history but history doesn`t make money. However It is a great marketing tool. And marketing makes money ....

Chrysler can push as much as they want dealers but they will fail if they don't provide them marketing tools.

Chuck will go on with his successfull business no matter what but Dodge will loose a big marketing value. In this story only Dodge will loose .... If I was Chuck I would turn to business image consultants, they could give a could hand to the lawyers.

Sort of what I was thinking while reading all these pages on Corp. ********. Why would Chrysler/Cerebus/Dodge ruin one of their best assetts? Antiques and restorations are Baby Boomer interests. Most people are interested in History and to try to shut down the LAST of the original Dealerships seems extremely stupid. Chrysler's ashamed of their corporate history? They want to dump or cause severe hardship to one of their oldest pieces of their history? The pic in the article looks like it's from the early 1900's, except for the quality. I've never -in my life- heard of a more appreciated Dealership.

Could it be that Chrysler wants to stop any of their Dealers that aren't ONLY interested in making the almighty dollar? Stomp on the good guys?

After Cerebex/Chrysler finishes off Tator's ... are they going to come after ME next? I'm a little guy and I like to help for free, when I can. I'm the one at the races that taught my kids to say, "Chevy *****" as soon as they could talk. I'm the guy that used my hundreds of Dodge products to prove that my kids were smarter than all the Chevy guys there. I'm one of the guys that showed customers why they should switch from GM and Ford to Dodge in the first place. Guess they'll be trying to ruin me next?

Should I switch to Ford? That'll be tough until I sell all the 26 Mopars in my yard, then all the spare parts in my 4 garages.

If they screw you Chuck - call Ford and be their advertizement.

Ted

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
OMFG! I can't beleive this sh*t!

Let me tell you, Chrysler Financial Services, just how much I hated the last Dodge Dealer' service Dept. It was a so-called "5 star" dealer, and their efforts were absolute CRAP! Nobody at the dealer cared about their customer's problem at all, they were also unconcerned about the customer's time and frustration. The service writer was incapable of listening, and the problem didn't get fixed right, not at all. They had no communication, and craftily skirted the issue. I finally decided to never, ever go back there. THats what I think about the "5 Star award". Its like a warning sign.

In contrast-

Then there is Chuck + Co, honest, deterrmined, loyal, helpful, friendly, a cornerstone of the VCA, a beacon, an asset, an icon, an international goodwill ambassador for the Dodge brand. You're lucky to have a fine individual like Chuck represent your product with his sweat and talents. And you want to put the screws to him? Unfking believable!

Shame on Chrysler!

8AV8

VCA Member
Reaction score
Petition signed, Chrysler should be benchmarking a dealership that has managed to stay in business for so long. Customer service seems to be a "lost art" for so many companies. Chuck should be a consultant to Chrysler on service and satisfaction. We wish you the best Chuck, the Viper nation will stand and fight with you.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's sad to say but I don't think it's possible to save a small dealership. Chrysler/Cerberus is under so much financial pressure they have to cut any and all costs possible.

Chuck has helped me many, many times and tirelessly answered all my questions. He's a great asset to the Viper community but just because he won't be a "dealer" doesn't mean he can't remain in the community. He will always be "the wizard" and hopefully for a long time.

It sounds like most if not all of his business revolves around Vipers. Even when mass production ends (and it will) there would still be enough out there that will require his services.

93VIPERBOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any person buybg a Chrysker product should not finance with Chrysler Financial. And when asked why tell them they are tyring to hurt our friend Chuck.

SuperBird4404BBL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an outrage. :curse:

Chrysler should be lobbying the government to have TATOR DODGE recognized as a National Historical Site. :usa:

I've called Chuck with problems, he could not have been more helpful. I can't say enough good things about him and his Dodge dealership.

I signed the petition today.

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really believe that Jay Leno would have a sincere interest in helping our friend Mr. Tator :) Jay loves history and Vipers. His collection is full of antiques and he absolutely loves the history behind each one of his vehicles. Hence the reason I think he would be a huge supporter of the oldest Dodge dealer in existance. :2tu:

I suggest that the Viper Club of America members write a document explaining the situation and mail it to Jay Leno. The document could contain the following:

Title Page

CERBERUS PUSHING TO CLOSE DODGE'S OLDEST DEALERSHIP - TATORS DODGE!

The Members of the Viper Club of America need your help!

This page to document exactly what Cerebus is attempting to do. Chuck Tator to provide the specific details.

Historical Page

This page to document the complete history of Tators Dodge. Include pictures of the dealership.

Explain why Vipers are so important to the Tators Dodge. Definitely outline what The Viper Wizard has done for the Viper Club of America members.

Support Page

Here is where the Viper Club of America members show their support. Could be in the form of signed petition.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It's sad to say but I don't think it's possible to save a small dealership. Chrysler/Cerberus is
under so much financial pressure they have to cut any and all costs possible.

My question would be - how much liability does a 3-employee dealership have to Chrysler?
I mean, sarcastically speaking, how many millions of dollars a year does it lose in South
Salem for the privlage of keeping Chuck on the list?

It would seem to me that a 100yo fairly well-known dealership is worth more in PR than
30-seconds of superbowl advertising.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tell ya what - if Chrysler truly intents to rip a major piece like Tators out of the viper world, then the rumors might be true - the Dodge Viper we all know and love might in fact be coming to an end.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's sad to say but I don't think it's possible to save a small dealership. Chrysler/Cerberus is under so much financial pressure they have to cut any and all costs possible.

WHAT costs? According to Chuck, he's been profitable for Chrysler. Maybe not super profitable compared to other large dealers, but it doesn't cost Dodge a thing to keep him in the game. This is just scare tactics to consolidate their control over all dealerships, forcing them to be a sales-driven ONLY model, instead of one that focuses on customer service.

While this may generate some good initial numbers (good enough to be sold off to a potential sucker).... long term, it does more harm than good. Penny wise, pound STUPID.

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have spoken to Chuck about Cerberus. If you really want to know who "Cerebus" is and what their intentions are, call Chuck. Let's just say that Cerebus is not a very friendly owner. :omg:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but money given via the "donate" link that pops up on the petition goes to supporting the petition web-site, not Tators.

Scammers id say... what does that petition do other than collect a bunch of names for junk email in the future? Do they know who to send the petition to? Or is this just an excercise in futility?

I'd think we're better off finding the right person to address... and have all of us mail the guy a penny with a note saying that's the last penny they'll get from us if they mess with Tator's.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A "Tour for Tator" We get giant door size stickers made up, and we all drive from everywhere, block as many streets as posible, and converge at the oldest and greatest Dodge Dealership around. No cost to Chuck. THe club and the members pick up expenses. Everything gets catered, hire help, set up on the lawn.....no disruption to business, except fopr a few hundred cars. Not only Vipers.....trucks, and anything else Dodge. After all, Chuck services us all.

AC

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that makes me mad.:mad:

I thought it was going to help out tator. I got suckered.

If you paid via Paypal, you may be able to cancel the transaction. It is definitely an attempt to scam people out of money. I signed the petition, but luckily noticed the donation wasn't for Chuck, so I didnt donate anything.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A "Tour for Tator" We get giant door size stickers made up, and we all drive from everywhere, block as many streets as posible, and converge at the oldest and greatest Dodge Dealership around. No cost to Chuck. THe club and the members pick up expenses. Everything gets catered, hire help, set up on the lawn.....no disruption to business, except fopr a few hundred cars. Not only Vipers.....trucks, and anything else Dodge. After all, Chuck services us all.

AC
I'm in!:headbang:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scammers id say... what does that petition do other than collect a bunch of names for junk email in the future? Do they know who to send the petition to? Or is this just an excercise in futility?

I'd think we're better off finding the right person to address... and have all of us mail the guy a penny with a note saying that's the last penny they'll get from us if they mess with Tator's.

Scammers? The petition is FREE and they ask for a donation (granted, if ya don't read it's easy to make the assumption that the donation is going to Tators, but they DO tell you what it's for). They don't take responsibility for sending it to anybody, we have to do that, they're just a web-site to collect names...period. I set up the petition, so I'll make sure to push it into the field of view of as many folks at CFSA and Chrysler as I can.

IMO, better to send a link to, or a printed copy of the petition than have 1000 people send letters or emails that won't get read after they figure out that "penny in envelope" means "throw in trash".

RayG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,
Is there such a thing as just having a parts account? (or a service account) It sounds like you don't need Chrysler except for Viper parts. Have them agree to give you a parts account and you don't need to take the rest of their BS. If people want to buy a car from you, you could be a broker for them. Get the car from another dealer, take a small piece for yourself and not worry about the expense of inventory on hand. Then you don't have some corporate ******* who gives you a hard time for not bying enough Calibers, etc. I know there are some great Corvette dealers out there that have nothing to do with GM. Could this work for Chuck? If so, you might be better off.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you paid via Paypal, you may be able to cancel the transaction. It is definitely an attempt to scam people out of money. I signed the petition, but luckily noticed the donation wasn't for Chuck, so I didnt donate anything.

Same here...you do NOT have to donate to have your name considered on the petition.
Thank you, Chad, for pointing that out...I wanted to previously...I did NOT get the # though that others said they got? The # of the signer at that point...and I signed 2, one for me and one for Mike. Didn't pay the donation. ~juli

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scammers? The petition is FREE and they ask for a donation (granted, if ya don't read it's easy to make the assumption that the donation is going to Tators, but they DO tell you what it's for). They don't take responsibility for sending it to anybody, we have to do that, they're just a web-site to collect names...period. I set up the petition, so I'll make sure to push it into the field of view of as many folks at CFSA and Chrysler as I can.

IMO, better to send a link to, or a printed copy of the petition than have 1000 people send letters or emails that won't get read after they figure out that "penny in envelope" means "throw in trash".

You don't have to donate, but they sure make it easy for you to "accidentally" donate... "marketing" they will call it. I've worked with enough internet companies to know how button placements and wordings are never accidental. They intended to trick people into donating to them. If 1 out of 100 gets tricked... that's still a lot of money. I'm not faulting you for setting it up... I'm just calling their scam for what it is.

And since they take no responsibility to sending the message, whats the point? Don't our website have polls and such that can also gather names?

I think a thousand pennies...even if most are thrown away... creates a bigger impression than a plain txt document with 5000 names. Names can be easily added and falsified because it's basically free to do so... snail mail and prop mailings are not free and will get more attention. If a note is included, I guarantee the first 2 WILL get read. The rest is a nagging reminder, whether trashed or not. This tactic has been used pretty effectively... it might not actually change the course, but it can't be ignored. An email attachment with a bunch of names? Trashed and forgotten.

A couple years ago, over 10,000 bricks were sent to congressmen to remind them to secure our borders. The effort got a lot more attention than any online petition. Perhaps a larger object than a penny?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/31/washington/31immig.html?pagewanted=print

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave