Coming Soon...

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it would be fun to show the developement of the all new trunk top that is underway. After the unexpected success of the orignal, the market has given me confidence to re-invest in a good product and make it the best it can possibly be in regards to styling and craftsmanship.

For starters, check out the clay model for a styling preview. I wish photos could capture how good this really looks, but they don't. The integrated flush design really works to get rid of the "after thought" effect seen on our rt/10's. I am not a double bubble fan, so the shape is such that it provides as much headroom as possible without going that route (those with a sharp eye will notice Comp Coupe inspiration here).

That's it for now. Comments welcome.

Enjoy.

www.trunktop.citymaker.com

Jeff

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the flush mount. That's so much better looking than the "hat".

Will you be making any without the scoop?

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That looks awesome!!!......I would also like to see one without the scoop for the total smooth look...
Maybe someone can photoshop it painted, with and without scoop....
Cheers,

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool!

One question.

Are you taking the original version back in on trade, or are those who supported you on your first run just screwed because they bought the original one before the really cool one was shown to the marketplace?

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice Jeff!

Will you also offer that top in one piece??

Much smoother look over the OEM design, looks great..

RikRok

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am very interested, but only without the scoop.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could live with the scoop if it was functional.
If so, can air flow be turned off inside? How does it handle rain?
What is the weight compared to the factory hardtop?
Has this new design been tested at higher speeds? (150MPH+)
Can a 6" tall person with a racing helmet fit under this roof?
How about an R/T10 with the Autoform rollbar installed?

BLWNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a GTS, but I have to say nice work though. Maybe I will have to buy an RT/10 also, I always liked them alot also.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The scoop is non fuctional. The top will also be available without the scoop and the pics of that will post in a few days.

Jeff

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, in regards to the gen 1 windows, the gen 1's will have an exclusive window that sits inside the door tower and is in the shape of the gen 2's. It looks as if I'll be teaming up again with Biff at Vmania for these as he does a great job. It should look really good. If you don't want to fork over the xtra cash for windows, the soft windows should work on this one, but, it will be quite ugly. I'll confirm this later.

Jeff

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm finishing up some patent work on that. I'll reveal the workings of it shortly.

Jeff

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool!

One question.

Are you taking the original version back in on trade, or are those who supported you on your first run just screwed because they bought the original one before the really cool one was shown to the marketplace?

Yeah, and I got screwed on my robot vacuum by being an early buyer, since the later ones came with remote controls, can you help me with that too? :rolleyes:

Dude, perhaps you haven't noticed, but in modern times, products regularly get better and better, often for lower prices (e.g., electronics), but that doesn't mean the early buyers get some sort of deal - you got your benefit by having it earlier.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie,

Keep checking back and watch when we reveal the developement of the mechanics. It's pretty cool.

Jeff

Brian 95 RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The original flatter one works fine for me. I got the trunktop for my '95 late this fall. Every single person I ran into said the car looked much better with the top than without. The craftmanship quality is excellent - the gelcoat finish is another story, very poor quality in my opinion - looks awesome at 10 feet or beyond though - mine arrived with scratches, numerous small white spots in the finish, and dull areas. For those of you with these tops, is this normal? I just assumed it was because it's a gelcoat, not a paint.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude, perhaps you haven't noticed, but in modern times, products regularly get better and better, often for lower prices (e.g., electronics), but that doesn't mean the early buyers get some sort of deal - you got your benefit by having it earlier.

Dude,

Notice I said "those who supported you."

I didn't buy one early, I didn't buy one at all. I don't buy early for that very reason. I don't have the ego that requires me to be the first sucker, ah I mean the first one on the block with one.

If the guy was on his feet he could have at least said; I'll offer a discount to current owners, or I'll offer the first ones to current owners, or I'll try to set up a network or referral system for used first editions.... Outside the box pays dividends in todays world, or should I say modern times.

It speaks volumes about the guy that he didn't even address my comment in any of his reply's after mine.

Which to be honest, I was in an ornery mood that day and just wanted to test the guy a little to see what kind of muster he had if he did have a bunch of ********** customers. (because had I bought one, I would be kinda bummed to buy the bland flat one then see this great looking **** one come out just after I choked up almost 3 grand) It was mean and I shouldn't have done it. Someone must have peed in my wheaties that morning.

I know in my business I sure as hell would, and do reach out to someone who appeares to be a disgruntled customer. But that's just me.

The controlled group test has now ended. Resume your normal activity. :cool:

Jeff, add a little more bubble to the sides on each side of the scoop. I like it, but some bubble would send it over the top!

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BadVenm,

Glad that you really like the new look. The reason I did not respond to your first post is because I was not sure if you were serious or joking (people joke around on this forum all of the time). I thought the answer to that question would be obvious. For those of us that bought a gen 1 Viper then the much improved Gen 2 was introduced, the manufacturer could not afford to replace our gen 1's so we could all be happy with the improvment of the gen 2. Automakers would go out of business doing that, and so would I.

The original flat top design was the best I could do at that time. It is a good product and I still like the flat style of it. It looks much better in person than in pictures (as does this new one). It is natural for a product to improve over time.

EDIT: I have re-read your original post and maybe I have misunderstood. The answer to your question would be that I would probably give a deal to a previous purchaser if they wanted the new style top. However, a trade in would be much more than I could handle.

Brian,

I'm glad that you are enjoying your new top. However, I did not know you were not happy with your gelcoat finish. The product has a 100% satisfaction guarantee so you can send it in at any time and I'll get it painted.

All of the new style tops will have a painted finish(unless primer specified).

Jeff

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BadVenm,

Glad that you really like the new look.

Jeff,

I like it quite a bit. It is very cool. I was just in a pissy mood the other day I don't even know why. Sorry.

But if could you added just a hair of the double bubble effect to it, I'd just have to have one even though my car never goes out in the rain.

Would the double bubble make it any harder to fit in the trunk? Or would it make it hard to connect the parts together?

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, trunk space would be an issue. This top you see here is going to stack higher than the flat version. The length is about 3.5" shorter, so the net volume should be about the same.

Jeff

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The scoop should be a little more pronounced sloping towards the front and carry over the sport bar like the comp. coupe!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
J

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I actually thought about doing that! I then decided it was more trouble tha it was worth.

Jeff