Corsa VS Stock exhaust on 2013 GTS... more drone?? Or Maybe I'm crazy?

95BlackZ28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I picked up a Brand new leftover GTS Blue (no stripes) Sepia GTS about 2 months ago. I was actually pretty surprised at how
good the stock exhaust sounded right off the bat... but I noticed it droned quite a bit from 2000rpms to 2600rpms or so.
I have Corsa exhaust on my M5, on my 2005 Viper, and neither car has any drone whatsoever. So naturally, I thought Corsa on this car
would cure the drone.
So I picked up the Corsa from Jon B and installed in two nights ago. I have about 50 miles on it and I must say the drone may actually be louder???

Is this a common experience? The sound overall is better, but the drone is almost worse than stock. The exhaust only has like 50 miles on it, so maybe
it will get better? If not I may be reselling this Corsa very soon.

Any tips/advice or info is appreciated.

BTW I love this car. Couldn't be happier except for some driver side wind noise (but hey it's a viper after all)

Reaction score
Generally the Corsa will move the drone to a higher rpm which helps some depending on where they drive, but none of the exhausts we have tried get rid of it.

Reaction score
Wind noise is a known problem, take it to a dealer and they have a replacement part that will fix the issue. There is a leaky seal that attaches to the roof A pillar area and it needs to be upgraded.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is hard to find the right sound on a side pipe car. The outlet is in line with the ear. My Corsa is much louder due to Balenger cat set up. The sound does change (deeper) after some miles.

OP
OP

95BlackZ28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips/advice.

Mark- I actually had that body piece replaced by the dealer and it did nothing for the wind noise.
They replaced the rubber weather stripping, and the metal piece along the body and it's all the same.
The stupid dealer actually called me today to bring the car back so they can "snap some pics" and send
them to the engineers at Chrysler. To be honest this is pretty frustrating and COMPLETELY unacceptable for a
100k+ car...

Anyway, I'm going to keep the Corsa for another 400 miles and see if the drone subsides at all, otherwise
the stockers are back on the car and the Corsa is up for sale!

DLutz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some SoCal members have changed their Gen V's to 3:73 gears to reduce drone. Seems to work out better than changing pipes.

I like the idea of the 3:73 gear change. Will a dealer do that change or where should I look to get it done. Any Idea of total cost?
Thanks

FalconFlyer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny you should post this.. I had the same issue with my 2013 GTS that I just sold. I even tried hi-end aviation sound insulation, ended up lower the dB's by 8 however did not get rid of the drone. It is rather annoying and ended up just driving around with ear plugs in.... and finally just selling the car..

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Due to the RPM range where the drone happens, I stay in 6th gear when under 65 MPH, then from that speed on, I use 5th gear so the RPM would above the 2800 mark. I think the 3:73 gear is a good idea and will probably go for it soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper