crank pulley spun off even with pins

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all:

Well I just got my car back after quite awhile and on my way home I decided to get on it a little and all the sudden no power steering and the unmistakable sound of a belt off the pulley whacking the heck out out everything under the hood.

It turns out that the crank pulley came off. It was pinned when we did the Roe blower. Any thoughts? Could it have been simply something wrong with the pins or is there any recomendations as to how I can best avoid this in the future.

I'm only running 8 lbs but we did a custom intercooler and modified the intake (which fits under the custom hood we had made) so we get very good air flow to all 10 now . It's not making a ton of power, very conservative tune as we road race and want good reliability for 1/2 hour hard running at a time.

Does this have to be keyed intead of pinned in order to be sure it wont happen again? I thought I had read that the pins were good up to an ungodly amount of power.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no comparison in keyed to pinned.

i had a roe pin kit installed and it wasn't on quite right. im willing to bet if it actually had the sc on, it woulda spun easily. it was barely pinned. the pins were in crooked.

check to see if yours are. and now you might wanna be careful with pinning it twice. it weakens the crankshaft (dont ask me how i know)

keying it might be best at this point and it CAN be done inside the car. look up AB on this site. he did his GTS a while back.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keying would be my vote, too. One thing to check right away - your oil level in the blower. The twin-screw blowers are infamous for leaking oil through the seals under vaccuum conditions and they can go through a lot of oil faster than you'd think. I have to add a few ounces of oil to mine every couple of weeks, and I've heard of a lot of people letting theirs go dry and seizing up. Stripping the crank pulley is one thing that I've seen happen before...

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to imagine how this would have happened. When you have a second, can you take pictures of the inside of the damper with the pins in place?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all:

Well I just got my car back after quite awhile and on my way home I decided to get on it a little and all the sudden no power steering and the unmistakable sound of a belt off the pulley whacking the heck out out everything under the hood.

What was the status of the bolt ? Had it come out or was it still tight ?

OP
OP
P

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the bolt had spun off. Everything was pretty much in tack (the end of the crank was a bit messed up as was either the cover or the damper I forgot what Nick told me). It's at the shop so I can't get pictures for you, sorry. It should be back together and on the trailer by this evening. Going to Road Atlanta for this weekend's NASA event.1Tony1, I believe you know my brother Bob from Buford (red/silver venom 650). Will you be at RA this weekend?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the bolt had spun off. Everything was pretty much in tack (the end of the crank was a bit messed up as was either the cover or the damper I forgot what Nick told me). It's at the shop so I can't get pictures for you, sorry. It should be back together and on the trailer by this evening. Going to Road Atlanta for this weekend's NASA event.1Tony1, I believe you know my brother Bob from Buford (red/silver venom 650). Will you be at RA this weekend?

One thing you should have them check is the power steering lines. When the pulley/damper assembly spins off, it drops down onto the PS rack and can dent those high-pressure lines.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be my question too. Red loctite + 250 ft lbs! I've pinned over 140 and nerver had one come off that I know of?

After mine spun off the first time, I made the big mistake of re-using the damper. 250 ft-lbs of torque and red loctite lasted about 2 months before it spun off again. The new damper was so tight I thought I'd never get the darn thing on. I bet it would have lasted longer than the old damper even without a bolt! :crazy2:

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have seen many balancers come off, the cause has always been improper torque of the crank bolt. You need to clean the bolt and threaded hole well and use a locking compound. You need to lock the flywheel so you can properly torque the bolt without the engine turning.

Hope this helps,

OP
OP
P

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot say with certainty what the torque was prior to this but I can say that it is now 250 (we also went with a hardened solid pin as opposed to the roll pin for what it's worth).Thanks all, car is back on the trailer and headed to Atlanta.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How did they repair the messed up end of the crank? What is the "cover" you are referring to?

ViperBing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This brings up a question.
Once the bolt is attached with red loctite and torqued to 250 ft. lbs, should it be torqued again (say a couple of years later) or will that possibly break the bolt free of its loctite bond and create potential problems?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This brings up a question.
Once the bolt is attached with red loctite and torqued to 250 ft. lbs, should it be torqued again (say a couple of years later) or will that possibly break the bolt free of its loctite bond and create potential problems?

If it moves at all, yes. Loctite is an adhesive with color coded engineered strengths. Turning the bolt breaks the bond.

You should remove the bolt, clean it, re-Loctite and re-torque.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen many balancers come off, the cause has always been improper torque of the crank bolt. You need to clean the bolt and threaded hole well and use a locking compound. You need to lock the flywheel so you can properly torque the bolt without the engine turning.

Hope this helps,

By the way, in case anyone hasn't tried this stuff yet, the new Loctite in the chapstick containers absolutely rock! I used to go crazy with the old squeeze tubes because they'd get a chunk of solidified Loctite in the neck and either nothing would come out, or it would all come out at once while I'm squeezing the cr@p out of it. The new twist-up chapstick dispensers are awesome. Someone was thinking!

OP
OP
P

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, yes it turned out that it was the cover not the crank end that was messed up. I'll try to get some pics of the work done while in Atlanta and post.

Rickman6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are all viper GTS 96-2002 balancers keyed or?
Found my bolt loose last night:(....tightened it with loctite..:)

My snake is a 2000 gts...

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are all viper GTS 96-2002 balancers keyed or?
Found my bolt loose last night:(....tightened it with loctite..:)

My snake is a 2000 gts...

None of them are keyed or pinned from the factory, just pressed on and torqued down, which is why so many of these "spin-offs" occur. It's good that you found yours before it spun off, as that ruins the damper.

Rickman6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had a look in my spare parts catalog for the snake and it shows a key for the damper - crank....part number 6034749..
Maybe this was introduced 2001 which is the model year of my catalog