Crazy popping or back firing from the exhaust

Charlie C

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ive got an 06' twin turbo stroked 522ci Coupe and Im new to the car so Im just learning about everything. The car pops (back fires) from the exhaust A LOT, when down shifting or letting off the throttle and idling to a stop. Anything I should worry about.??? This happens both when the car is warm or cold..

Thanks guys,

Charlie

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car back fires just with headers, hf cats and corsa. I think is pretty normal. I love it.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can use that to intimidate and scare the Miata guys at the track. (I do anyway)
Make the car pop when you are right next to them while passing, I know you have to lift a little to do it, but that doesn't interfere with the passing of a Miata. It really makes it more dramatic though. -specially if you shoot flames at them.

The exhaust popping is one of my favorite things about the Viper. It just enhances the driving experience like nothing else can.
Other cars have stereos and sound systems, we have crazy, obnoxious exhaust. :headbang:

Last edited:

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's normal and what most of us like about the exhaust when slowing down especially gearing down.

I believe even with the new Gen V's the engineers made sure they didn't lose that sound.

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can use that to intimidate and scare the Miata guys at the track. (I do anyway)
Make the car pop when you are right next to them while passing, I know you have to lift a little to do it, but that doesn't interfere with the passing of a Miata. It really makes it more dramatic though. -specially if you shoot flames at them.

The exhaust popping is one of my favorite things about the Viper. It just enhances the driving experience like nothing else can.
Other cars have stereos and sound systems, we have crazy, obnoxious exhaust. :headbang:
Thats awesome!!! The popping sounds insane!!!!!!!!!!

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine pops but more popping is always better!!!

I go around just revving it slightly and letting it come down just for kicks when i go by people on the sidewalks :headbang:

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome new Viper owner! Welcome to a myriad of unusual sounds that are all perfectly normal! Popping, valve clatter, clunks in rear... all normal!

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have posted on several treads about this. The "pop and crack" is so fun for me, that after doing HF cats and Corsa, I stuck my Mopar PCM back in its box and occasionally have to use a code reader to clear exhaust codes, just so I can keep said "pop and crack"!:drive:

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are all pleasantly insane.
:omg:
The sound of these cars (with some exhaust mods) definitely backs people off (poor bloke was just trying to read my personalized plate).

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had Belanger headers and exhaust installed recently. Loved the popping. You get a lot of it if you put the car in 5th and as you exit freeway stay in 5th until almost stopped. The popping is insane, sounds like fireworks.

I lost all that when I installed the Mopar PCM last week. Now it just lets out a terrifically loud crack during shift when at or near 6000RPMs. Man it scares women and children badly. The Mopar PCM brings the car to life!

F

FrgMstr

I had Belanger headers and exhaust installed recently. Loved the popping. You get a lot of it if you put the car in 5th and as you exit freeway stay in 5th until almost stopped. The popping is insane, sounds like fireworks.

I lost all that when I installed the Mopar PCM last week. Now it just lets out a terrifically loud crack during shift when at or near 6000RPMs. Man it scares women and children badly. The Mopar PCM brings the car to life!

I took my son by Sonic today after his last day of football camp. The patio was covered with high school girls. I cranked up the headers and straight pipes and 20 girls jumped off their chairs. Great times....great times...

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can makes changes to the computer calibration that reduces decel fuel and remove most the popping. The side effect is more off throttle engine braking. You can also go the other way and shoot flames on shifts and deceleration with an random sonic boom.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a GenII with corsa's, intake, no cats...it pops on deceleration, I love it!

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can makes changes to the computer calibration that reduces decel fuel and remove most the popping. The side effect is more off throttle engine braking. You can also go the other way and shoot flames on shifts and deceleration with an random sonic boom.

Dan,

I get the sonic boom. And I wonder if I have flames coming out. I would love that. But I understand the Mopar PCM does lean it out and gets rid of the rich mixture on decel, is that correct? So, if I understood you, the flames come from a richer mixture?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper