Crazy popping or back firing from the exhaust

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I was under the impression that a lean mixture is what leads to the pop to begin with. I'm guessing the Mopar PCM might flat out shut off the fuel near entirely on decel, so no fuel = no pop. I know on my motorcycle it pops like crazy on decel and they say to fatten up the idle mixture screws to get rid of it.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
....that has to happen on my car one of these days. Is it even possible with cats? I have some pretty good popping still with full factory cats.

Raven2k8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a a cat delete and it is supercharged so it get's pretty rich at WOT so in between shifts BOOM! It used to do it when I wasn't supercharged but not as much. I'm curious to see if the the flames will be more frequent with my new exhaust setup I am making since it has a less restrictive muffler.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....that has to happen on my car one of these days. Is it even possible with cats? I have some pretty good popping still with full factory cats.
You really need to get rid of those cats and have an un-restricted / open exhaust.
The car just is so much more enjoyable that way. (if you like over the top, insane, balls to the wall)
You end up with ugly drone and smell, but who cares. It becomes so comical to drive the car like that, you end up smiling and laughing more than you do now.
Very entertaining.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You really need to get rid of those cats and have an un-restricted / open exhaust.
The car just is so much more enjoyable that way. (if you like over the top, insane, balls to the wall)
You end up with ugly drone and smell, but who cares. It becomes so comical to drive the car like that, you end up smiling and laughing more than you do now.
Very entertaining.

Haha, I've debated several times pulling the cats, but since I daily mine and have to drive through neighborhoods at 6:00 in the morning I try to be nice. The car had a Borla cat back on it when I got it. I really like the sound and tone, and the volume is acceptable most of the time, though there are certainly times I wish it was a little louder. I need an exhaust volume button, lol. The one time it really got me is when I started it leaving a car show and some kids next to it just said "wow, that's quiet".

Raven2k8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Haha, I've debated several times pulling the cats, but since I daily mine and have to drive through neighborhoods at 6:00 in the morning I try to be nice. The car had a Borla cat back on it when I got it. I really like the sound and tone, and the volume is acceptable most of the time, though there are certainly times I wish it was a little louder. I need an exhaust volume button, lol. The one time it really got me is when I started it leaving a car show and some kids next to it just said "wow, that's quiet".

I know what the kids mean! I bought mine stock and it was really quiet so I put the mopar (borla) exhaust on it and it was still quiet. I took the cats off and it sounded pretty good. Then I got m&m headers and the sound stayed the same...not happy. Now it's time to fab up my own exhaust that will wake all my neighbors up at 6am when I decide to take my car to work. I have to listen to their fart can ricers, they can listen to/feel my v10. ;)

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I have electronic cutouts on my 67 Dart 5.7 Hemi swap, so I do have a volume button in it. I can just crack them or go wide open if I really feel like making some noise. Being able to tune it for my particular mood is fun. Would almost consider it on the Viper, but I have a feeling it probably wouldn't quite sound right. It's one thing running open headers on a good ole V8, the V10 is a whole other beast. I really do like the tone on my Borla setup, more of a deep rumble than some of the other systems I've heard. I think it gives it a little more American power sound than the raspier systems that remind me more of Italian exotics.

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The MOPAR ECU on my Gen 4 took most of the pops away and I'm actually thinking of putting the OEM ECU back in to get the pops back.

MtnBiker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The MOPAR ECU on my Gen 4 took most of the pops away and I'm actually thinking of putting the OEM ECU back in to get the pops back.

Well mine did too. But I can't live with the throttle lag, so the Mopar ECU is staying. I liked Allan's post. I may do a cat delete some day...I have full Belanger headers to exhaust and it is loud and some drone. But sounds so good at high RPMs and also in idle. I love it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss