Degreeing the cam and margin for error?

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gents, I going to be checking my cam timing and wondering what’s acceptable for error either advanced or ******** before changing? What is the power loss or gain on 1/2 deg off from suggested centerline?
Thanks
Tim

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you can change degree on the cam with the stock timing chain, as it does not have any adjustment. My stock Intake Center line was at 118 deg.

OP
OP
T

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I already have a Stryker cam and adj. chain on the motor. I'm checking some one else's work.

Reaction score
Gents, I going to be checking my cam timing and wondering what’s acceptable for error either advanced or ******** before changing? What is the power loss or gain on 1/2 deg off from suggested centerline?
Thanks
Tim

The difference in power between +- 1/2 degree would be extremely small to nothing.

I'm assuming that you are doing this with the heads on? If so you'll need an accurate way to find TDC on the degree wheel. I use a modified spark plug that has a threaded insert in it. You have to be very gentle when doing this. You might be able to use a piece of 1/8" aluminum TIG filler rod also. Take a piece about 7 inches long and insert it into the cylinder so that it extends to the opposite side of the chamber from the spark plug hole (squish area). The piston will touch it and stop.

I have seen a few of the Cloyes adjusters break. When they do they fall out into the pan and the cam retards a lot, which hurts power.

Good luck.

OP
OP
T

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The heads are off for this as well as for some work and to verify deck height.

Thanks