Do you think the VCA Yellow will hold its value like the GTSR?

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am just curious as to what you guys think. It will be made in less numbers so that makes me think it might hold its value like the GT2. I think it will look awesome. Wish the stripes went all the way down like the raffle car. Looking forward to picking up my car at VOI!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will throw out my guess and say "kinda". Realize that the GT2/GTS-R is worth more now that what was originally paid for it, but it is still not shattering any records. I believe the highest price paid was at the Barrett-Jackson auction and it was something like $167K for a DC-donated car with all kinds of Oreca (LeMans) memorabilia thrown in. Otherwise I think they can still be found in the sub-$100K category pretty much every day, after stickering around $79K from what I heard (sold before I was into Vipers).

Now will the yellow VCA SRT increase in value by $20,000 over sticker? No. Will it hold it's value close to sticker and maybe a tick or two higher? Probably. The GT2 was a LeMans-inspired bit of history in near-perfect colors with extra horsepower (albeit only 10) on an exotic bodystyle. The VCA SRT has no inspiration (LeMans or otherwise), no history, colors that not everybody likes, standard engine, and a less-exotic bodystyle. Granted, there are fifty fewer cars, but thinking it will bring a premium in a year is wishful, especially when they bring out yellow as a standard color (yellow Mamba anyone?).

Don't get me wrong, I don't know of anybody in the VCA that has supported the SRT-10 as much as I have. While it is no GT2 in looks or history, few will argue that it isn't a better performance car. A stock SRT will outperform the GT2 in every single category. But the GT2 simply outclasses it.

Bottom line: "Never invest your money in anything that eats or needs painting." There aren't many cars that will instantly appreciate - look at the vaunted Jaguar XJ220 which was very limited, truly exotic, and now selling for less than half what it sold for new. Do what I am doing: Buy the car because you like it and will enjoy it. Your blue/white is probably better looking and is certainly more of a classic. The SRT will be far more exclusive, more fun to drive (excluding the movie star factor), and better built in every respect. Just don't expect to retire on its sale...

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Virtually every car I have, and some are not listed below, is a 1 of -- (ranging from 1 to a couple hundred). Outside of the 1 of 1 Blue/Silver GTS ACR (which I have refused very large bids on), the rest have still depreciated, but just at a slower clip than the non-exclusives.

So, I guess my answer is an first hand experience "NO"

OP
OP
K

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to just buy the car and enjoy it. If it holds its value cool, if not oh well at least I won't see the same car at every intersection. In NM we are going to have 3 VCA editions. What are the chances of that?

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In NM we are going to have 3 VCA editions. What are the chances of that?

Here in the Kansas City Club we ended up with 4 maybe even 5 VCA Editions. We all were surprised about that!

There was already a thread on this same topic, I'd link it but don't know how. What I stated in the other thread was something like....

The GTSR offered more horsepower. Only 10, but more horsepower and better handling on top of "Badge" goodies help a car hold value. The history aspect helps it a lot too.

If DC or whom ever decides on color options, would decide to NEVER EVER produce another Yellow VIPER of any kind, then I would say then they could hold their value much better than the basic SRT, but still not like the GTSR.

But with the all the hype I read and hear about all these new Mamba Editions people say are going to come out, Black, Yellow, etc....If that happens then the only difference the VCA Edition will carry will be a "Badge" package.

I think history has shown that badge package editions in other brands and models haven't warranted any more money than any basic model of the same year unless the color scheme was exclusive to the badge package. I've owned a badge package performance car before, I paid more up front, and it sold for the same as any other non badge car when I sold it. (my badge car was a historical tribute kind of like the GTSR and it still dropped like a rock)

I would like to see DC or whom ever put a nix on Yellow ever being used in any future production. These VCA Editions are AWESOME looking cars! I think it would a pretty awesome REWARD, if, for those who stepped up, entered the drawing, got chosen, then bought and kept the VCA cars, to own and be a special part of Viper and VCA history, by DC pulling yellow out of any future production and yellow is never used again. A nice gesture of appreication for those who stepped up.

Remember DC, these buyers stepped up and dropped the big coin for a "Special" car and they all bought them sight unseen. Let them have something that will ALWAYS be special.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to see DC or whom ever put a nix on Yellow ever being used in any future production. These VCA Editions are AWESOME looking cars! I think it would a pretty awesome REWARD, if, for those who stepped up, entered the drawing, got chosen, then bought and kept the VCA cars, to own and be a special part of Viper and VCA history, by DC pulling yellow out of any future production and yellow is never used again. A nice gesture of appreication for those who stepped up.

Remember DC, these buyers stepped up and dropped the big coin for a "Special" car and they all bought them sight unseen. Let them have something that will ALWAYS be special.

Much as I hate to say it, my bet is now more than ever that yellow will be a production color - and soon (read Dan Knott's latest comments in VIPER Magazine). Throw in a Mamba Edition and suddenly the biggest difference besides badging are the black wheels and black hood insert. Despite that prediction, I would still maintain that the VCA SRT will hold it's value better than most SRT-10's but not nearly in the same league as the GT-2. Heck, knowing what I now think I know, I would say that the car will depreciate like any other Viper, just at a lesser rate.

And since we are throwing out wishes for those "Fortunate 50", here is one from me: Don't smoke-coat the existing Viper wheels, pull those new lightweight versions out of the Mopar Performance box and make them in black for this car. Even better, keep a chrome/polished lip on them to really make them stand out. While never a huge fan of yellow myself (the rest of the family loves it), the ORIGINAL Yellow Fever is one of the most gorgeous Vipers on the road today:

5312.jpg

Make it look like that I'll bet those VCA SRT's will hold their value just fine! :2tu:

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the above comments by Chris. Switch out the wheels with the bbs wheels found in the comp coupe catalog.

Eddie

Reaction score
If they make a Yellow Mamba in 2005, I hope they add something extra special to the VCA Edition to make it stand out a bit more.

Please DC make it SPECIAL so it stands out!!!!
(Remember it is a SPECIAL EDITION)

viperphil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree to Y2K3SRT. that's what i also proposed to DC:

put these 5-spoke SRT wheels on it in a graphite color, add the splitter from the carbon viper and paint all the hood in graphite/black. :)

PS: we'll see at VOI how the car would look like. at the only pic i saw, there was written that schemes may change.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
....... my bet is now more than ever that yellow will be a production color - and soon (read Dan Knott's latest comments in VIPER Magazine). Throw in a Mamba Edition and suddenly the biggest difference besides badging are the black wheels and black hood insert. ]

B I N G O !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang