Does the Gen1/ 2 look better in 2010 or in 1992/96?

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sometimes I get the "gen 2 Vs gen 3" looks arguement on here and haven't seen this post and figure it might be interesting. Personally, I think the Gen 2 looks "less dated" and more "radical" in 2010 than when they were first hitting the streets. Cars seem to be headed in a very boring direction which are making these cars look more exotic than ever. What do you think? Seems like the Viper (especially the GTS IMO) does truly look better in time....

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. I was a die hard RT-10 guy forever. I din't even care much for the GTS. However, in the past few years the GTS has REALLY grown on me and IMO is one of the best cars out there. I like the looks better now than I ever have.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a design that seems to improve with time.Do not think the later cars will age as well but if you have ever driven the later generations you will find that they are amazing compared to what we are used to w/o loosing that raw feeling.Dodge done good!!!!!!!

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only the headlight area looks dated. The rest of the car is swoopy and fresh. If I were Dodge, I would update the Gen II look, with more aggressive headlights, keep the "Double Bubble" look and have the one piece lift nose. Others, obviously, will disagree.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's like asking if these look better now or then... These don't bring the $4-$10 million auction prices that they do because they look like every other car... Hopefully history will be as kind to the early Vipers...
You must be registered for see images

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen I/II all the way!!! I can't part with mine just cause how they look. Really looking forward to seeing the Gen V and maybe I'll sell one...bring back the curves! :2tu:

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's like asking if these look better now or then... These don't bring the $4-$10 million auction prices that they do because they look like every other car... Hopefully history will be as kind to the early Vipers...

Agreed and thank GOD that they made more than 6 Vipers:D

Anyone know the exact number of Daytonas still in existence?

Ron

eliems

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interesting question and it has occured to me that the RT/10 is one of the few (4 or 5) that didn't lose the wow factor over the decades.

Like the Cobra also C2 vette roadsters, XJ? Jags from the 60's, ...?

Most others have come to look stale/out-dated beaters.

Given this is going on twenty years I think the RT look will prove timeless.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say my gen 1 looks a bit dated these days (not that I care)... She still turns heads and comes on strong on the right road.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those cars are valuable due to their racing heritage. The looks are just icing on the cake.

Kit cars that look the same, have little value due to lack of racing heritage.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only the headlight area looks dated. The rest of the car is swoopy and fresh. If I were Dodge, I would update the Gen II look, with more aggressive headlights, keep the "Double Bubble" look and have the one piece lift nose. Others, obviously, will disagree.

What he said!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they all look awesome in differant ways...To me a gen2 rt10 is the most out of this world looking exotic..From the rear they look very wide/exotic....Just with the top on they look a lil weird..

GTS to me is very nice..But somthing about the rear glass just dosent sit right with me...Makes the car look much bigger than it really is..

SRT10 vert is very nice..To me a bit nicer overall porportioned than the GTS...Everything is done right..But the styling just isnt out of this world like the RT10..

Coupe to me is hands down the winner no questions asked..It did a magnificent job on the one area on the GTS that I didnt like ( the rear glass) and made that area into art work on the coupe....

But you know we get so worked up over this stuff...I mean really...Whats better a 355 or 360...What about 550 manarello...Who cares..it's a F**kn Ferrari ( pardon my frnch)...

To me weather you drive a 92 rt10/96 GTS/2003 srt10/2010ACR....When people see it they say..Wow..A F**kn Viper!!!!

They will take pics and call a friend and maybe even talk about it at work/dinner how they saw a Viper today...

They are all stunning and honestly the only cars you will ever see on the road that look better than your viper are other vipers...They have the looks and performance that just grabbs your soul..

Think about a Lotus Exgiege with the factory supercharger in black...This is an absolutely stunning car and at 62K isnt exactly cheap..But running a high 12 at 109 mph really get you excited?????????/

Now how about an high 11 at 120 PLUS mph combined with the viper looks..Yea....Now were talkin

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought this too about the kit cars before posting the pics of the Cobras... A kit car or aftermarket tribute car will never be an original car. Some kit cars do sell pretty high and are great cars to drive but Vipers have some racing heritage and they are original manufacturer cars.

Do the early Vipers look dated... yes to an extent but that's not necessarily a bad thing for value and desirability... What the Gen1 and Gen2 cars share with the early Cobras is the Outrageous factor... They are both purpose built machines that fly in the face of convention and practicality... They are mysterious, dangerous and uncivilized...unique and rare. They sacrafice luxury and safety and beg the question... How did they get away with building that ? For most folks these are the very reasons they have to have one... We live in a world of rules and laws and comformity... the attitude and the statement that the early Vipers make will just be more appreciated over time...:headbang:

Those cars are valuable due to their racing heritage. The looks are just icing on the cake.

Kit cars that look the same, have little value due to lack of racing heritage.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GEN 1/2 Vipers GTS OR RT/10 will never get old or outdated. I believe they are like a Polo shirt, cool 50 years ago, will be cool 50 years from now. I plan on keeping my Viper as long as i am on this earth, with no desire for a newer one, or any other car. Even if i am fortunate enough to become extremely wealthy i will never sell this car only add cars to my collection. Obviously the technology in the newer ones are better, but seriously my car has 450 horsepower another 200 isn't going to do anything on the street for me. its a perfect car in my honest opinion. :headbang:

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're all good. My Gen III never fails to turn heads. I'm sure Gen I/II is the same way. This kind of argument is right up there with the "Which color is faster" argument imo.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea..It just all comes down to what YOU like...I saw this pic today and thought it was awesome...GTS from that angle is gorgeous...

But the SRt10 isnt to shabby as well...

We know the SRT10 handles/brakes better but is it faster?????My personal testing of my 99 rt10 and 2003 srt10 says that yes the srt10 is a LIL faster...Were talking 2 mph faster through the 1/4 mile....But you really gotta be a good driver do get good numbers from an srt10..While getting the potential from my 99 rt10 was much easier...

So heres a pic of a red gts...pic of a srt10 and a nice graph that really explains why the gen2 and gen 3 are so close in the 1/4 mile...

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you take the time to check out that graph...You can see that down low in third gear from 40-70 mph the gts actually has a lil more power...

This explains why so many people say the gts feels faster in the 1/4 mile...It actuallt does have a lil more down low power!!!!

However..As speed increases..The SRT10 really starts out powering the GTS...

The way the maker of this graph explained it was ....

Say a srt10 and gts are beside each other at 50 mph and have equal drivers, both in third gear...

The GTS would pull a car from 50-70 mph and then from 90-110 mph they would stay the same and then from 110-130 mph the srt10 would be a car in front of the gts and from that point on start walking away....

Pretty kool...

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No vehicle design will ever put together the amount of curves that make up the exotic styling of the GTS. I think it is a timeless design that will continue to look better with age.(just like the ACcobra&daytonas as v10enomous said:2tu:)

OP, You should have made this a Poll:
A. Did the Gen2 look more appealing when it was introduced in the 90's,
B. Or Now in 2010

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always thought a Gen II GTS with the broad 5 spokes (like a 2001) was one of the best looking cars ever - though I agree with PatentLaw that the headlights are the one part of a gen I/II that look a little dated...
one specific thing that I prefer about gen III and IV however is the placement of the hood vent slats... I like the fenders clean and the hood cut up (i know the whole thing is hood on a gen II, but you get the point)
Either way, they all look better than everything else you'd pass on a normal day, and better than most exotics too! I was driving on the NYS thruway this past summer and I saw an Aston Martin screaming up on me in the mirrors... he pulled right up along side and started taking pictures of the Viper :)

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cars definitely look dated (bubble is out). But they still have the 'don't **** with me' character, so they still look great.

Nick

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This car looks a bit dated too... But as time goes on it just looks better and better... The early Vipers really capture and blend many of the best styling queues from some of history's most beautiful and desirable automobiles... Certainly more appreciated by people that like Old School stuff...

1966 Jaguar E-TYPE ROADSTER

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread is really relevant for me right now. I am currently looking for a Viper and have been leaning strongly towards the Gen 3 due to some of the features it has over the Gen 2. However, last night on my way home I ran into a Gen 3 (the first Viper I have seen on the road in probably 4-5 months....I live in Kansas) and for whatever reason, it didn't get me excited the way a Gen 2 does. I followed it for a good two miles really analyzing the car and it left me thinking that perhaps a Gen 2 car is best for me. The Gen 2 just seems to look more agressive and exotic.

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once I stop getting people asking me if my car is a new car then I will say it is dated. People that do not know Vipers think the Gen1 and Gen2 cars are new from the dealer!! But then again I live in East TN... ha

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It really depends on your taste and what you want out of the car but what the earlier cars give up in performance they make up for in character and history... The influences are well documented... As they say the Car Gods were smiling when they sketched the Viper...

This thread is really relevant for me right now. I am currently looking for a Viper and have been leaning strongly towards the Gen 3 due to some of the features it has over the Gen 2. However, last night on my way home I ran into a Gen 3 (the first Viper I have seen on the road in probably 4-5 months....I live in Kansas) and for whatever reason, it didn't get me excited the way a Gen 2 does. I followed it for a good two miles really analyzing the car and it left me thinking that perhaps a Gen 2 car is best for me. The Gen 2 just seems to look more agressive and exotic.

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
v10enomous , I am on the Same page as you bro. Love the E-type, and just as i was about to follow up your post with the Ferrari 275GTB i scroll down and see you beat me to it:D

Good stuff:2tu:

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen1 with the clean sweeping lines are very modern looking still. The vents on the Gen2 date the car a bit. Most folks are more curious about the Gen1 than the ACR. Although the ACR gets more camera phone action at the gas stations and on the hwy than the RT....or the RT is just so fast I don;t have time to notice the cameras :dunno:

PS:
Get that foreign crap off the post please!!! Post a photo of a 1967 Ford GT-40 Mk2. Ferarri, Jag-U-Rs....what are you thinking:omg: