Drag Radials on SRT-10's?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Drag Radials on SRT-10\'s?

Well, it seems that 19-inch drag radials are farther away than they should be. Meanwhile, has anyone had any success putting a set of drag radials on the rear of their SRT-10's.

It seems that this requires an emergency brake relocation bracket. I can't see how the e-brake caliper is a problem, but the linkage sure is. What a stupid setup. Anyone know where to get one, cost, installation ease / difficulty, does the e-brake still function?

Info / help would be appreciated.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Drag Radials on SRT-10\'s?

I did not understand how the e-brake relocation kit was going to work either till I took a closer look. The only thing it does is move the linkage out of the way. It’s easy to install, 10 minutes per wheel. You will also have to re-route the cable through the frame, but it’s not bad either. Brake works fine after too.

8021Brake_Relo-med.JPG

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LMAO! I have a set of those in front of me, and I had NO CLUE how they worked! Thanks for the pics! I bought some 18" CCW's and mounted some BFG drag radials on them. Helpful stuff since they came with no directions!

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I need a set of those, as I had to do a little grinding on mine right where the cable housing is. I'm real close, and If the car were to hit a good size pothole, I know the wheel would bend in on the ebracket, and lock my wheel up. I heard Archer sold them at the ridiculous price of $200.00 per pair. Anyone know where we could get them for a realistic price?

Skip White

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I should also mention that the little black bracket that the cable end loops through should be switched from the right wheel to the left wheel. I think they were $150 from PartsRack, don’t quote me though.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I should also mention that the little black bracket that the cable end loops through should be switched from the right wheel to the left wheel. I think they were $150 from PartsRack, don’t quote me though.
Is that all that switches sides? I was under the understanding that you had to swap the e-brake calipers themselves. No? I'm about to do this mod myself within the next couple weeks (I already have the brackets). ANY information would be most appreciated!!! :D Thanks!

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

No need to switch the calipers, just the little bracket. It’s held on with 1 screw, easy to remove and swap, (in my picture is it’s the yellow zinc screw). The bracket has a star pattern that allows you to index it to the proper orientation.

The kit is over priced for what you get, 2 aluminum blocks, but the design is actually quite creative and simple and works very well and that is worth the extra $$.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I bought ssr's from visions of speed, The rears are 18x13 with bfg 345/35/18 drad radials. I also had them do a ebrake relocate kit from archer racing (what a nightmare the wait was) but it all came together nice.

take a look

6400IMGP0051-med.JPG

vd..

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

You will be amazed at how much better the car will look.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The latest technology for emergency brakes is to go electronic. In the future OEM will not use cables and handles, but electronic switches. Should make these type of issues go away.

DViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have Pilot Cups on my SSR's. They hook really good as well.

Thanks for posting the pic of the relocation blocks installed. I tried to figure it out and ended up using zip ties to hold the cables out of the way. It would have been nice if they included more than just the two aluminum blocks in the package (instructions would have been nice). I never would have figured out that you need to swap the cables on my own.

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score

Hi Guys and thanks,

I ordered my Ebrake relocation brackets today from Archer. $150 plus shipping. They sent two pictures as well and if I knew how to post pictures, I would. Jeremy can email them to anyone who wants them.

ViperD, H

How do those "steam rollers" work on the street? What do these cost with the SSR wheels? Have you broken anything yet?

Thanks again,

Dan

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The truth of the matter is that I really have not used the viper much due to the fact that it took archer racing about 1 month to deliver the reloaction kit when they promised a 3day delivery (i was pissed) by then the winter had come.

vd..

MAVERICK

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I ordered by relocation kit from Archer and they sent it right away along with the SSR Wheels.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the info on moving the bracket, ViperGMC.

So what's the story with the low-pressure sensors?

1. Do you have the sensors on your drag/track wheels?

2. If so, have you been able to go back and forth between your new wheels and stock wheels without having to go to the dealership every time to have the TPM (Tire Pressure Module) reset?

3. If not, have you been able to go back to your stock wheels without having to have the TPM reset by the dealership?

It's my understanding (i) that you have to drive the car at least 20-25 mph before the sensors will be read by the TPM, (ii) that when you put one or more new sensors on via new wheels, you have to have the TPM programmed by the dealership to recognize the new sensors, or the low-pressure alarm will go off non-stop, (iii) since the TPM can only hold information on four sensors (one for each wheel), if you switch back to your stock wheels with sensors, you have go back again to the dealership to have the TPM reprogrammed, or the low-pressure alarm will go off non-stop (i.e., EVERY TIME you switch between wheels with sensors, you have to have the TPM reprogrammed), (iv) if you put wheels on without sensor, the low-pressure alarm will chime once and then go quiet, but the low-pressure dash light will stay on, and (v) if you then switch back to the stock wheels with sensors, you have go back to the dealership again to have TPM reset, since the TPM will forget the programmed stock sensors when the wheels without sensors are put on (i.e., EVERY TIME you switch back to wheels with sensors from wheels without sensors, you have to have the TPM reprogrammed). If all this is correct, it looks like the only solution for those of us who want to swap wheels regularly would be to get drag/track wheels without sensors, and have the sensors removed from the stock wheels, and just live with the low-pressure dash light, which seems to me like a lousy solution.

4. Please tell me I’ve got this wrong.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LMAO! I have a set of those in front of me, and I had NO CLUE how they worked! Thanks for the pics! I bought some 18" CCW's and mounted some BFG drag radials on them. Helpful stuff since they came with no directions!

Carrot, Did you get regular Purners that look like the gen2 drag wheels or did you get a different style ?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Carrot, Did you get regular Purners that look like the gen2 drag wheels or did you get a different style ?

I just got the mesh ones that look like drag wheels. They're 18"x13" though. They look just as good as any other mis matched wheel to me.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do stock Gen 2's clear the brake calipers? Or do I have to buy after market 18's?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just got the mesh ones that look like drag wheels. They're 18"x13" though. They look just as good as any other mis matched wheel to me.

Let me know how it goes.....when fitting a "regular" 18x13 Purner it looked like it was going to be into the big caliper. I did not remove the e-brake caliper for the test fit. I look forward to what you find. Where these new Purners or just some you picked up ? He may have done a slight change.

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score

Hey ViperD,

What tires did you mount on the front behind those "steam rollers?"

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hey ViperD,

What tires did you mount on the front behind those "steam rollers?"

they are 18x11 rims with 285/35/18 Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico tires

I went with the 285's b/c I spoke with Skip White and he advised me to go with a bit more tire than rim.

vd..

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score

How do you like them - assuming you've put some miles on them.

OP
OP
Viper X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score

Udate,

I put the ebrake relo kit on today and it took longer than 20 minutes. But all things considered, it was fairly simple. Thanks to ViperGMC for the heads up on the switching of the parts from side to side. The parts came without any instructions, but Archer did email some pictures that were very helpful.

Now on to the new tires / wheels for the drags. I'm thinking SSR Comp H's like Skips, 18 x 10 front and 18 x 11 rear (Nittos for the street) and another set of 2 - 18 x 13 for the "steam rollers" (BFG's), special events only - like Viper drag events. So, Skip, what's the radial "skinnies" equivalent for the front?

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I relocated the e-brake linkage yesterday with the Archer kit I bought from JonB. Thank you ViperGMC for the comments on switching the cable bracket/plate from side to side and rerouting the e-brake cable through the frame. Overall, the job was pretty easy, with the possible exception of accessing and removing two of the four metal clips that attach the e-brake cable to the frame (you have remove them or there is not enough slack in the cable as rerouted). With all the plating under the car, it was moderately difficult, at least for me, to reach and remove the bolt-head screws holding these clips, especially since I first pulled on the cable and bent the clip over the bolt. Doh! I ended up accessing them through the square cutout in the plating and reaching back to the screws by feel alone. Anyone else do this a different way??? From start to finish, not including a trip to Sears for a larger allen wrench, it took me over two hours, but I’m methodically slow when it comes to such things. Having done it once, I could easily do it again in half the time without rushing.

Just some general notes on the mod for anyone interested (since Archer only provides two pictures, which are quite helpful by the way):

1. Obviously, the e-brake should not be set; but the car should be in gear.

2. The cable bracket/plate that must be switched from side-to-side, as ViperGMC points out, is the bracket/plate held on with a single yellow zinc screw (1/2-inch). The spring coil attached to this bracket/plate is actually pretty easy to work with and does not switch sides.

3. There are two ******* on the e-brake caliper to which the spring coil can be attached. With this mod, you switch the spring to the ****** not previously used.

4. There are four metal clips (two per side) attaching the e-brake cable to the frame that will be removed for cable rerouting.

5. The e-brake cable gets rerouted through the hole in the frame directly above the hole it originally came through (there are two options for rerouting and I’m not sure if the other one would work, as I didn’t try it).

6. There is an electrical wire (ABS sensor, I think) that is clipped to e-brake cable on both sides. You’ll have to unclip this wire from the cable since it does not have to be rerouted like the cable (no need to unplug it) and zip-tie it to a support as shown in the Archer pictures included with your kit, or at least that’s what I did.

7. Bolt on the Archer spacer block before attaching the end of the e-brake cable to the cable bracket/plate.

8. No tension or length adjustment is made to the e-brake cable—if it doesn’t appear to reach the clip on the cable bracket/plate after you’ve put everything else together, make sure the cable sleeve is property seated within the Archer spacer block, and simply pull on the cable end.

9. Tools needed—two allen wrenches (for removing the old linkage spacer and attaching the Archer spacer), ratchet with half-inch socket (for switching the cable bracket/plates), 3/8-inch socket and box wrench (for removing the metal cable clips), four zip-ties (for securing the ABS wire), a couple jack stands, jack, tire chocks, and lug wrench.

10. As far are order goes, it pretty straight forward. Here is what I did after jacking up the rear and removing both wheels: (i) remove the stock linkage spacer from the e-brake caliper (two bolts per side), (ii) swap the cable bracket/plates (one bolt and one spring coil per side), (iii) attached the Archer spacers (two bolts per side), (iv) remove the metal cable clips attaching the e-brake cable to the frame (four screws total), (v) remove the plastic clips connecting together the e-brake cable and the ABS wire (three or four clips per side), (vi) reroute the e-brake cable on each side, (vii) feed the e-brake cable end through the Archer spacer and clip it into the e-brake bracket/plate, and (viii) secure the ABS wire on both sides with zip-ties.

WildWing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry to dig up this old thread but I am having some difficulty with this mod. I need to see or someone to describe where the cable goes and how it looks once I remove the brakets holding it to the frame.

I am basically a *******..

Thx,

Brian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine