Exhaust on a 2003 SRT10

StumpDDS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, everyone! I'm new to the club and purchased my dream car (a 2003 Viper SRT10) last month after 25 years of waiting. The car is completely stock with 16000 miles on it. I'm looking to put on an exhaust to help out in the sound department. The amount of searching I've done is tiresome but I think I found a video of what I'm looking for. I'll post it below.

I'm not looking to get headers but would like instead to get some high flow cats and a cat back system. I'm looking at either 1) Belanger high flow cats and Belanger cat back or 2) Belanger high flow cats and Borla cat back.

I'm looking for a nice, deep, throaty muscle car sound. The video has the Belanger cats and Belanger cat back but on a gen II GTS. Would my gen 3 sound similar? Thanks!!

Cheers!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think it's a bit tough comparing a gen 2 to a 3, especially since the gen 2 has a full rear exit exhaust compared to the side pipes on the gen 3. To my ears the Borla has always been the deepest toned exhaust for a gen 3 and has more of that muscle car sound (it's also what I have on my 04). I bought my car with the stock headers and cats and just the Borla cat back installed and I really liked it. The Corsa and Belanger systems to me sound a little racier and higher pitched, more like an exotic car than a muscle car.

cislater

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took all off from the cats and went back with just straight pipes. The chrome tips went back on by switching sides. Sounds great and a lot less money

hlieber50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the Belanger exhaust headers & cats on my '05 about 3 years age. My driver side exhaust manifold was cracked and that system fixed the problem. The sound was great with the stock cat back pipes. The thing I liked the most is that Belanger eliminated the under car crossover pipe which made the cabin much, much, much cooler. It's my understanding that the factory exhaust manifolds have a cracking at the weld problem.

woodrow pamela

Suspended
Reaction score
we have a corsa exhaust system off a 2005 dodge viper "damaged" convertible available, if interested note: drivers side pipe missing

Kevin M Melisz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a gen 4 and went through this process of deciding what exhaust to get last year. I searched the internet and you tube videos to help me decide. I end up with a full Belanger system, header all the way back and couldn't be happy.

If you want to discuss further, don't be afraid to call or text my cell (716-713-4261). Maybe able to help from all my research last year.

OP
OP
StumpDDS

StumpDDS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a gen 4 and went through this process of deciding what exhaust to get last year. I searched the internet and you tube videos to help me decide. I end up with a full Belanger system, header all the way back and couldn't be happy.

If you want to discuss further, don't be afraid to call or text my cell (716-713-4261). Maybe able to help from all my research last year.
Hey! I ordered a set of Belanger high flow cats and a Borla cat back exhaust. The more I think about it the more I become interested in a set of Belanger headers to go along with it. My buddy says since I'm not racing it or spending a lot of time at the track that I don't need headers. What are your thoughts? I mean whats another $2500 right? lol

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I can say that headers will change the exhaust note of the car. The best way I could describe my old setup that was factory headers and cats with the Borla catback was a "roar" at full throttle. I ended up with a set of M&M headers on mine and the sound has changed to a little more of a "wail" or something. Hard to describe, but it's slightly higher pitched and I think you hear each exhaust pulse just a little more. It's almost "buzzy" for lack of a better term. Not in an import fart can kind of way, but again, hard to describe. Not necessarily a bad thing, but depending on what you are going for just something to think about. I might have some dyno runs with both setups, but they would have been taken on a cellphone camera, so the mic quality isn't amazing.

hlieber50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Belanger headers are also ceramic coated chrome and look great in the engine compartment. Again, the best part of the Belanger system with or without the cat back system is the deletion of the cross over pipe under the passenger compartment. There was a reason the Chrysler engineers called that the "Ring of Fire"

OP
OP
StumpDDS

StumpDDS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered the Borla a week ago and actually have tracking info and it should be here on Monday! I was not expecting this fast. Now, I’m really excited.

OP
OP
StumpDDS

StumpDDS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you all install the exhaust with or without the crossover tubing?

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without the H Pipe; you’ll find there is a huge decrease of heat in the cabin in the summer.

No matter how tight you fasten everything the exhaust can loosen and migrate, although in my case it was years down the road I would think it could happen at any time. So once both sides are installed where you want them to be finish it off by drilling a hole in each coupling and put in a ***** to “lock” them in place.

John D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the full Belanger 3" system (headers, hf cats, cat-back) on my 2005 this summer. It eliminated the crossover section. The temperature is better in the cockpit and the sills are cooler now. There is some drone at low rpms, but this can be managed by changing the gear you're in. Under load and above 3000 rpms it sounds really badass!

OP
OP
StumpDDS

StumpDDS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the full Belanger 3" system (headers, hf cats, cat-back) on my 2005 this summer. It eliminated the crossover section. The temperature is better in the cockpit and the sills are cooler now. There is some drone at low rpms, but this can be managed by changing the gear you're in. Under load and above 3000 rpms it sounds really badass!
**** yeah! I have the Borla sitting in my garage and Belanger headers with mid-pipes and cats on order. Can't wait! My neighbors might hate me, lol