First Drive

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. If I buy one, it will be a daily driver. No reason to let that horsepower rest at home :)

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drove the yellow base SRT with track pack. It was supposed to be the stripped out version, but it had upgraded leather seating vs the base cloth. It was more than I wanted as far as luxury and technology, but that is what everyone expects/ wants. They wouldn't allow using the launch control...I floored it and the car hooked right up, no signs of any traction control intervention. New tires were probably the reason. Clutch was really light compared to a gen II and the brakes were really touchy. Car sounded really good for stock. I was impressed that they let 850 people drive them and how accessible all the engineers were. I spent a couple of hours talking to the engineers. ****in amazing! If I buy a Gen 5, I would sell a couple of cars and make it my daily driver

Sweet bro. Thank's..

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replied to your PM Lee...

I was really impressed with the car as was everyone else that drove the car. Everyone who is stuck on the nannies and luxury needs to get over it. If you don't want all that ****, just stick with your Gen II, III or IV. This is a world class sports car and I can't wait for all the magazines to test it against Ferrari, Lambo, Corvette, etc... I think they will love it and I'm not sure what they would even criticize about the car.

The seats were very comfortable, had great travel up and down and the pedals were motorized. Didn't have any trouble getting comfortable - everyone will love it. There were a number of screens to choose from that you could select from the steering wheel. It tracks 0-60, 1/4 mile, braking distance, etc... Again, more stuff than I want or will use.

Nothing special about the 392 Challenger, Charger, Jeep or 300. I did hear that they are going to get some new wheels on the WK2 (Jeep SRT8).

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you who are tall did you find more legroom in the new Viper?

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm 6' tall and I had plenty of leg room, head room, etc... I didn't mess with the seat travel, just got in, put the seat the lowest level and moved the pedals closer to me. The Gen V seats are supportive, but they also had more shoulder room compared to Gen III/ IV seats.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I drove the blue/white GTS launch edition and my first impression when getting in was one word: quality throughout. Ok so that was 2 words but really, the car felt tight everywhere, SRT did an excellent job at making the car feel like everything works together. I really got the feeling that I could read and write with it to the capitol T and that rarely happens. Ralph's comment about the shifting mechanism feeling like a rifle reloading mechanism was dead on too.
I just hope that they will redesign the seat adjustment mechanism because my short legs were pressing against the seat bottom cushion without a way of having that changed, the engineer that was sitting next to me told me they would look at it. Had a great discussion with him, got to tell about my Chrysler heritage and his baby was treated like it should be, very carefully.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh did I mention that the GTS-R seat fits me absolutely perfect and is totally comfortable :D Pics to follow later in the week, just arrived back at VYPR BYT 94's house at 6:30ish.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a suprise. My 2007 Charger SRT8 is great handling car, so I can only imagine that the new one is even better!

I hope it is along the lines as...

You must be registered for see images attach

TA perhaps!? :drive:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 6' tall and I had plenty of leg room, head room, etc... I didn't mess with the seat travel, just got in, put the seat the lowest level and moved the pedals closer to me. The Gen V seats are supportive, but they also had more shoulder room compared to Gen III/ IV seats.

That's good to hear. Thanks!

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd realli like to see some Gen V with something similar to that Challenger design up here!!

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I drove the blue/white GTS launch edition and my first impression when getting in was one word: quality throughout. Ok so that was 2 words but really, the car felt tight everywhere, SRT did an excellent job at making the car feel like everything works together. I really got the feeling that I could read and write with it to the capitol T and that rarely happens. Ralph's comment about the shifting mechanism feeling like a rifle reloading mechanism was dead on too.
I just hope that they will redesign the seat adjustment mechanism because my short legs were pressing against the seat bottom cushion without a way of having that changed, the engineer that was sitting next to me told me they would look at it. Had a great discussion with him, got to tell about my Chrysler heritage and his baby was treated like it should be, very carefully.

How better it looks in real? the B/W? I have serious concerns whether to get this or some solid color :(

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They had 4 or 5 prototypes avalable for us to drive on a small autocross course. First off was full acceleration in first gear to the end of the straight and then full stop inside a stop box. Gave you an idea of the torque of the engine and the precision of the braking system.

Next through a first gear solom course with 5 or 6 cones. Then into some curves and a sweeper, then back through a solom and home.

Not a race event by any means, and no times were kept. This was to enable the attendees to feel out the car, and notice that it handled better and more precisely, and that the interiors were much improved in sound control and comfort.

I met that British guy as we shared a ride to the airport. He was a pretty nice guy, but a little full of himself. Wanted to run the car at 100%, but since the cars were prototypes the ride along engineers wanted the cars to last so everybody could get a ride. Fellow seemed to enjoy the ride, and was impressed by the guy, but not the ride along nanny.

Dropped the Brit off at a private airport, where a Cessna business jet (pretty impressive) was waiting to fly him to a clients home in the Carribean. I flew home coach : <(

Believe that it was a pretty last minute decision to allow VOI attendees to drive the new Vipers. Saw engineers occasionally take them off the line to plug in computers, and gather data.

My opinion is that the Gen V is pretty much improved in most of the areas that owners have asked for.

I loved being able (6'tall) to have electrically adjustable seats so I did not need to get on my hands and knees to adjust the typical Viper seat.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion letting us drive the prototypes was an extremely welcome opportunity to get "outside" feedback from people that may end up buying them so that they can incorporate what we told them into final production design.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll preface this with I drive a gen 1... The new Viper drives, handles, brakes, interior are all awesome, I got to drive the blue/white GTS. That being said, I didn't really feel like I was driving a viper. This felt more like a luxury sportscar, not a Viper ... I would however still buy one when finances allow. The big question is which hood, most people say they like the base SRT hood over the GTS hood. The engineers said they used to think so, but the GTS hood grows on you ... Hmmmm. Which hood is your favorite.

Reaction score
I'm 6-2 and well... larger lol, I could fit great, with helmet room and even moved the seat forward a bit to get the arms the right distance from the wheel and be able to touch the pedals to the floor! Unbelievably roomy compared to the others.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The big question is which hood, most people say they like the base SRT hood over the GTS hood. The engineers said they used to think so, but the GTS hood grows on you ... Hmmmm. Which hood is your favorite.

I was all over the SRT hood at first but after seeing the GTS in person in June and many photos of the Gen V I'm now leaning towards getting the GTS with the GTS hood.

Last edited:

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I overheard the engineers say the throttle response on the Gen IV is around 430 milliseconds, and the Gen V is now around 200 milliseconds.

It'd be nice if they could either work that into the Mopar PCM, or hell, maybe even a new factory file that could be uploaded by any Viper tech...

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great meeting you Simms! Did you not like how touchy the brakes were?

You too man! Your car looked fantastic.

Touchy as hell, but I did like them. I stopped WAY too soon on the first part of the course. Even with the upgraded Stoptechs, my car requires a lot more effort.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was all over the SRT hood at first but after seeing the GTS in person in June and many photos of the Gen V I'm now leaning towards getting the GTS with the GTS hood.
The SRT hood was never shown before June?!
And yeah I don't want to have that feeling grows in me when I see the car in person!