GA Viper Vs. Z06 Round IV at Little Talladega

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happened to that other auto-x link with all of the times? Oh well...

After last week's event, the times were as follows (JD made a typo in the last thread... Teddy's Z06 was on top by only a few tenths, not seconds):

Teddy98Z28M6 Z06 A-Street Prepared
52.8xx

achilles99 Viper Stock
53.5xx

JD viper (Ryans car) Street Mod
53.6xx

Ryan viper Street Mod
54.xx

Ron Z06 Stock
55.xx

Brian Z06 Street Mod
55.xx

Tom Viper A-Street Prepared
56.xx

The grudge match continues, though! We will be getting together to run an auto-x at Talladega (not the NASCAR track, the road course).

Here's a tentative track lay-out:
http://apexbenefits.biz/030511_4.htm

Here's an aerial shot of the course... a 1.35 mile road course.
www.tgprace.com

Who's up for it? The Vipers took all 4 top spots the first time, but we have a new contender taking the top spot last weekend. The rubber match begins!

Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More details please; cost, number of cars entered and amount of time per car on the track. Is it a one day event? Are there tire restrictions and classes? I was under the impression that Vipers were excluded from running on this track?

Thanks,

lonestar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did I miss round III? ;) I think more info is needed on this event, especially how to sign up if it's going to limited space.

Teddy Z06 driver

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SCCA is supposed to put a sign-up page on the web soon, but it isn't there yet. I will post when it occurs. I think the "limited space" is more like "no novices allowed" than there being a limited number of spots for registration. They say they are going to allow registration through May 5, I think, but I will post once they give the details.
I think I missed Round III too ...

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about a real track?

Pete,

Although I am like you and Ryan in that I prefer the big track, the truth of the matter is that most people aren't willing to risk ruining such a large investment. Auto-X's are a happy medium, I think... don't you? Much safer than street racing!

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did I miss round III? ;) I think more info is needed on this event, especially how to sign up if it's going to limited space.

Teddy Z06 driver

I guess I was thinking Round IV between you and I... but since it was really just you and I at Turner Field, we shouldn't count that as a Viper vs Z06 event :)

As for signing up for the event, there are NO novices allowed for this event. You have to have some experience, which in this case I think means that you must have run at least one auto-x or road race. As for Vipers and Vettes not being allowed at the track, I THINK the owner has a lot of respect for the Atlanta SCCA. I inquired about this, and from what I've been told, there should not be a problem if we don't go wild at the track and run off-course.

Pre-registration will be soon... I'm on the Atlanta SCCA list, so I'll keep you all posted once pre-registration is open.

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JD, that song was too funny ! Someone please e-mail me when this Little T event is to occur. I too had hearsd no Viopers and Vettes allowed there - - probably due to stormin Norman's off track excursion a couple of years ago when he took out a barbed wire fence (and his wing) only to get back on the track and beat Eric Johnson for the best time of the day !

My e-mail:[email protected]

lonestar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I was thinking Round IV between you and I... but since it was really just you and I at Turner Field, we shouldn't count that as a Viper vs Z06 event :)

Pre-registration will be soon... I'm on the Atlanta SCCA list, so I'll keep you all posted once pre-registration is open.

If you count Turner Field then that would be another WIN for the Z06 group. Paul in his red Z06 was also in the SS class and place first. :D I hope they let the vipers and Z06s drive at little Talladega.

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you count Turner Field then that would be another WIN for the Z06 group. Paul in his red Z06 was also in the SS class and place first. :D I hope they let the vipers and Z06s drive at little Talladega.

Teddy... didn't we already agree that everyone who was running had to be on street tires? We know that Paul is on HOOSIERS. I guess you competing head to head with Tony is OK if I have to compete against Paul :)

lonestar

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Teddy... didn't we already agree that everyone who was running had to be on street tires? We know that Paul is on HOOSIERS. I guess you competing head to head with Tony is OK if I have to compete against Paul :)

Don't forget Paul was in the same Stock class as you and I. I didn't make the rules. Tony's 10 second Viper competes in the Modified Class. Is it not fair to compete with others in your class? :p As Ryan would say, "Run what you brung". I say, "Run what your brung, with others in your class". :)

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoosiers are legal in stock classes. When we first started these events, we were doing a Viper vs. Z06 comparison, and the idea was that everyone would be on street tires. If we are going to compare Z06's on Hoosiers to Vipers on street tires, it is no longer a meaningful comparison. I am bringing my street tires and I will compare myself to anyone else who is using real street tires, not Hoosiers or Kumho racing tires.
What I DON'T want to hear after this event is that Paul won the class (which he almost certainly will) and therefore the Z06's won. If someone wants to call Paul and tell him to bring his Goodyears, that's fine. But he is competing for points so I suspect he won't do that.

lonestar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoosiers are legal in stock classes. When we first started these events, we were doing a Viper vs. Z06 comparison, and the idea was that everyone would be on street tires. If we are going to compare Z06's on Hoosiers to Vipers on street tires, it is no longer a meaningful comparison. I am bringing my street tires and I will compare myself to anyone else who is using real street tires, not Hoosiers or Kumho racing tires.
What I DON'T want to hear after this event is that Paul won the class (which he almost certainly will) and therefore the Z06's won. If someone wants to call Paul and tell him to bring his Goodyears, that's fine. But he is competing for points so I suspect he won't do that.

To have a fair comparison, you need the same person driving the 2 cars on the same day. The first auto-x event we went to with you guys, between the near stock cars, had auto-xers driving their new Vipers (you and Lihn) vs 2 drag racers in ’02 Z06s (Les and I) vs 2 road racers in Z06s (Chris and Bryan). If you think that was fair, then meet me at SDR or Commerce on a test-n-tune day for a best 2 out of 3 down the track in a drag race with a .500 tree with red lights counting as a break out. I won't even complain about the 45 horsepower disadvantage when you are looking at my tail lights. :eek: :eek: :eek: :laugh:

With the cars set aside, I enjoy competing as much as you guys and striving to become a better driver at these auto-x events which is still new to me. At this last event I compared my times against the carts and one of the experienced instructor in a 96 Z28 with sticker tires. His fastest time was a 51.xx vs. my 52.8x. This told me that I’m getting better since that first event.

Little Talladega sounds like it will be a little different from a parking lot. I will try to be there and make it interesting for some of you guys. :laugh:

-Teddy

1998 Z28 12.1 @ 117 mph
2002 Z06 12.3 @ 115.95 mph

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This whole thing started when I made the statement that I thought a Viper was just as good as a Z06 in an autocross, based on me driving both cars in autocross events. A bunch of Z06 guys offered to prove me wrong by having some Viper vs. Corvette action at some local events. The events so far have not proven me wrong. I am going to keep autcrossing and keep inviting other Viper and Z06 drivers to join me. All else put aside, I am going to have fun and we will let people interpret the results as they like.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be coned off, if it a solo 2 event, so dont get too excited about it being a track. It should be easier to read the course however, which is the reason for your performance differance. Auto X differs from road course driving in many ways, but one of the biggest differnces is on a track, you dont have to figure out where the course is & you can learn it by repeating it. In Autox, your memory becomes a factor because of the limited number of runs. Also due to the short course & low speeds, HP can be a detriment instead of an advantage. The main thing is not to be discouraged by not spankin the next guy. With high powered cars like the Vette & Viper, I like to take my students to the auto X to learn some car control. That is not to be the fastest there but to explore your cars limits in a low impact enviroment. You may not be the fastest by driving this way, but you will have big fun & learn som skills that will pay you bak in spades when you are on the track or highway & get in over your head.

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be coned off, if it a solo 2 event, so dont get too excited about it being a track. It should be easier to read the course however, which is the reason for your performance differance. Auto X differs from road course driving in many ways, but one of the biggest differnces is on a track, you dont have to figure out where the course is & you can learn it by repeating it. In Autox, your memory becomes a factor because of the limited number of runs. Also due to the short course & low speeds, HP can be a detriment instead of an advantage. The main thing is not to be discouraged by not spankin the next guy. With high powered cars like the Vette & Viper, I like to take my students to the auto X to learn some car control. That is not to be the fastest there but to explore your cars limits in a low impact enviroment. You may not be the fastest by driving this way, but you will have big fun & learn som skills that will pay you bak in spades when you are on the track or highway & get in over your head.

I agree with that, learning the course quick is a big factor. I am thinking about going as well, but wondering how coned off it will be.

PMD, what was your best time at cmp btw?

thanks

OP
OP
A

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To have a fair comparison, you need the same person driving the 2 cars on the same day. The first auto-x event we went to with you guys, between the near stock cars, had auto-xers driving their new Vipers (you and Lihn) vs 2 drag racers in ’02 Z06s (Les and I) vs 2 road racers in Z06s (Chris and Bryan). If you think that was fair, then meet me at SDR or Commerce on a test-n-tune day for a best 2 out of 3 down the track in a drag race with a .500 tree with red lights counting as a break out. I won't even complain about the 45 horsepower disadvantage when you are looking at my tail lights. :eek: :eek: :eek: :laugh:

:D I don't doubt your superiority with drag racing... I've never been once. It'd be cool to go with you once, though, so that someone with experience could show me the ropes. I wouldn't mind learning. As for me being an auto-xer... I wouldn't claim to be one yet! I went to 3-4 events previous to my first one in the Viper. You've been to more auto-x's than me, if you count the times you went in Dallas!

You are right about us learning to be better drivers, though. Even though an auto-x definitely doesn't completely prepare you for a road course, I do think it helps in learning car control below 70 mph.

The cones for Talladega will defintely slow us down, but if you look at the link that I provided for the track with cones, you can see that a lot of the natural contours of the track are preserved. It should still be a fun event!

I'm looking forward to hanging out with everyone again... it was a blast last time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang