Gen 4's & Quaife - Specific thread on the Quaife

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read & searched until my eyes hurt.

Point of the this thread is - Gen 4 specific:

1. What is the actual stock diff (Eaton, Dana, etc.)
2. What is the difference (construction) between the stock & Quaife
3. Where will the "improvements" be noticed.

I've read several posts that state "better handling, beter grip, better traction". Are these claims opinions or fact? There are plenty of "racers" and "dragsters" here that should be able to quantify with lap or ET improvements. My ACR will not be used for competition but I do want the best performance I can get without going "comp coupe". I am strongly considering a diff gear change (or removing 6th from the trans to save weight) and since I'm in there...

I know that many have the same questions/concerns/doubts. I hope we can all come to some conclusions/answers.

KWilliams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fastzilla,
What is your goal? Are you planning to track the car?

You might call Scott at Taylor Race Engineering if you plan to track the car. He can provide accurate information about a Quaife for your application. John Archer at Archer Racing Accesories or Dan Cragin at DC Performance can also give you good information.

OP
OP
F

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fastzilla,
What is your goal? Are you planning to track the car?

I do not plan to track the car competitively only occasionally for my own fun. When I say occasionally, I mean maybe once every 2-3 months. The car will live on the back roads of the TX hill country.

This is why my ears perk up when I hear things like "better grip coming out of turns". I haven't really experienced corner exit issues except on low speed exits - this may be a product of 600 hp as well. The rear doesn't whip back and forth - it seems to track very well, even with the tires spinning.

I may not benefit from a Quaife. I'l still wondering - what type of diff is the stocker?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stocker From what I can tell (from the SRT discussions) is night and day difference. Much better and more importantly, much stronger. :2tu:

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what the handling quality of the Gen4 Diff is like but the Quaife is awesome! I honestly didn't beleive people that much either when they said it helped with traction etc.
I finaly went that route and you can actualy put some real power to the ground while cornering that frankly the stock diff would crap about. In a stright line it just digs. I have done exact same launches with same power and the quaife just nails the power back and forth unlike the stock that just spun one wheel and then the back of the car is ummm driving you! If you can afford the swap I would do it (If for nothing more than safety):cool: My .02

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I do not plan to track the car competitively only occasionally for my own fun. When I say occasionally, I mean maybe once every 2-3 months. The car will live on the back roads of the TX hill country.

This is why my ears perk up when I hear things like "better grip coming out of turns". I haven't really experienced corner exit issues except on low speed exits - this may be a product of 600 hp as well. The rear doesn't whip back and forth - it seems to track very well, even with the tires spinning.

I may not benefit from a Quaife. I'l still wondering - what type of diff is the stocker? [/quote]

If SEARCHING makes you bleary, a dialoge can help. CALL for pro-con-benefits-comparisons.

1992-2006 Vipers had some form of a Dana Posi 92-02, or Dana Hydra-Lok 03-06.

The 2008-2009 Vipers have a NEW traction system in the diff, made by GKN, and NOT Dana. The GKN Visco-Lok is a far-superior improvement over the earlier SRT diffs. And it will prove to be much more reliable long-term...the 03-06 units get toasted early in heavy use. We have done gear changes and seen adverse wear in almost ALL 03-06 units vs the mileage on the car. I call the 08-09 a "poor man's Quaife" because it gets the job done about 75% of the way a Quaife would. But its still a viscous (liquid) system. The Quaife is among the best, with direct-drive-instantaneous responses.

If you have a 03-06, or require a 'competitive advantage' in cornering and instantaneous straigh-line-launch, the Quaife is an EXCELLENT option. 08-09? You are 75% there.

There is another alternative now, too: The Giken Super Lock!

Commercial message! PartsRack and Unitrax have teamed to provide Quaife, Giken, or Visko-Lok diffs at very competitive prices. With or without a ring-pinion swap. We have diffs IN STOCK from exchange-cores, and NOT from wrecks. (we MAY also have salvage units available at lower prices, and with full disclosure history and warrantee.) We also have tuned posi and Lockers for Gen 1-2. Unitrax has completed over 1000 Viper swaps to date, (hundreds for PartsRack) provides all our tech support, and we are happy to share this project and process.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon - thanks for the clarification! It looks like I need to get my crappy stock motor mounts replaced before I will notice the full benefit for of a Quaife - it seems like I have a kangaroo in the trunk, especially with cold Cups.

That what where all the confusion I had came from - I wasn't experiencing the issues that were being described by the Gen1-3 "diff" related posts.

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will love a Quaife. I didn't put one in my '08 ACR. I did put one in my '09 w/stock gear ratio for the track. The difference is nothing short of astounding! Takes the tail happy right out of it.

Reaction score
You will love a Quaife. I didn't put one in my '08 ACR. I did put one in my '09 w/stock gear ratio for the track. The difference is nothing short of astounding! Takes the tail happy right out of it.

And to think you doubted me...:D I am going to be evaluating the Gilken diff also and will test locally at the track to see if the claims of 1+ seconds a lap over the Quaife are founded or not. The Gilken also has a lifetime warranty even if used in competition!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang