GEN II Waterpump GPM ?

The Mad Machinist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to find out what a GEN II water pump is rated at.

I'm thinking of having some baffles put in the end tanks of the triple 1 inch core radiator I had made up and turning it into a triple pass.

Has anybody tried overdriving the water pump with a smaller pulley to get more flow?

I found the site below to be very informative pertaining to coolant systems and how they work.

Although not Viper specific, I thought I would pass it along.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Cooling/#PumpPerformanceCurveandTotalSystemPressureDrop

Thanks

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally would not overdrive a gen 2 waterpump. That plastic impeller doesn't hold up to normal stresses after awhile. I think it would be safe to say that being over driven might just shorten its life even more.

Another is consideration is the rate of pump cavity refill, spinning faster and one more thing is that the water has to have contact time with the warm surface in order to transfer the heat. The faster velocity might inhibit the transfer.

Steve A.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anybody tried overdriving the water pump with a smaller pulley to get more flow?

I found the site below to be very informative pertaining to coolant systems and how they work.

Although not Viper specific, I thought I would pass it along.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Cooling/#PumpPerformanceCurveandTotalSystemPressureDrop
Very interesting article ! I didn't read it all but it seems well written. The author is well thought of; but, I can't tell if this is just assembled information or if the source has specific technically sound basis (as in, and engineer from Griffin radiator.)

At to overdriving the water pump, I believe it has been done; but, it isn't commonly mentioned on the forums since I have been here. Here is a relevant thread that I remebered: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/629162-Is-there-a-better-water-pump-to-install?

( I have also wondered if increasing water flow rate has been tried; but, others have indicated that there is not much to be done to improve the Gen 2 system in various driving conditions. The recommendation for slow driving conditions appears to be the addition of two pusher fans, ala DC Performance's aftermarket system or dave6666 DIY system. )

OP
OP
T

The Mad Machinist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point about the plastic impeller, I had forgotten about that.

I have the dave6666 fan mod.

Excellent DIY by the way, thank you dave6666

I believe the problem I'm having mite be more air flow than water but after reading that article and having a radiator out of the car at the moment. Got me thinking.

The problem I'm having is at say anything over 95 deg. outside air temp.is:
Unless I'm at freeway speeds the car is running too warm for my taste. But if the car is stopped or even in stop and go traffic it will cool it self down in very short order. No where for the air to go after the fans? Vented cowl maybe?

I was thinking of taking the cowl off the car and driving it seeing what happens to the temps.

That wouldn't hurt anything would it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang