Help: buying a Viper...

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking at 2 different 2001 Viper R/T 10's. Both are yellow. Looking at the pictures, one is a light colored yellow and the other is a much darker yellow. Did they make more than one shade of yellow? If one is wrong, is it the light or dark one? It could be the photography, but I keep looking at them and the cars around them seem to appear in their proper shades so I think they are 2 different yellows. Any thoughts??? Thanks.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There was ONE factory yellow color in 2001 and 2002.

At one time, Doris and I had TWINS....2001 and a 2002 Yellow RT10s

The paint was identical in every way, as it was with every other 2001-2002.

I suspect lighting and photography and resolution issues...... or a repaint!

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

v10nut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You have to remember that depending on the camera settings ( especially White balance) the colors of the car can come out very different. You need to see them in person or have a good viper tech inspect the car before you buy. You cant do it by pictures alone!

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to remember that depending on the camera settings ( especially White balance) the colors of the car can come out very different. You need to see them in person or have a good viper tech inspect the car before you buy. You cant do it by pictures alone!

I realize that as my dad is a photographer. I have seen the lighter colored one in person and it is lighter to me. I have not seen the other one. Which one of the pictures is closer to reality???

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that you cannot be sure without seeing them in person.

However, my yellow 95 looks different in pictures in various lighting conditions so it is possible it's the same color on the cars just different lights in the room.

Good luck!

v10nut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The pics of car 1 are more representative of what the car should look like but I think that the pics of car two are just over exposed. The cameral was probably set to auto and it was trying to expose the whole room rather than the car. If that is an accurate picture of the color then its wrong.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I realize that as my dad is a photographer. I have seen the lighter colored one in person and it is lighter to me. I have not seen the other one. Which one of the pictures is closer to reality???

I think the first one is. I have one picture of my car & Mopar Boy's car together and it makes mine look like a bright yellow and his look like a darker yellow.

v10nut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would buy the first car. It at least has aftermarket exhaust. Better price too. Please have it inspected by a good tuner before you buy!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Key thing may be the top ------ do they both have a hardtop?? The value for one with a hardtop is likely 3K higher as they are becoming impossible to acquire new , except at an exorbinant price.

Get it checked over thoroughly and that means up on a lift. Do a Autocheck report, or similar and go from there.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just found out that the one at Luxury Motors was rebuilt from a bad wreck. The salesman just came right out and said so. He said they have had it for a long time. No kidding... they want $35K for a wrecked/rebuilt one? They are nuts.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Luxury Motors viper is closer to Viper Race Yellow (the only yellow for 2001 RT/10s). The other viper (#2) looks freaky to me....very light...must have been a photography issue or new paint.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the car at D&M. It was much darker yellow in person, so it was the right color. The car is in really great shape and I am really lucky to have a wife that understands my sickness. :)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the car at D&M. It was much darker yellow in person, so it was the right color. The car is in really great shape and I am really lucky to have a wife that understands my sickness. :)

Yours is not a sickness, it is a normal obsession. Now if you have 3+ Vipers, then you have a sickness.............................................:D :D :D :D :D :D

Post up Pictures :2tu:

Skunk Works

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there is even a Disturbed song called Down with the Sickness. seems to fit. ;)

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats, great color choice.:):2tu: Hope the car is more than you hoped it would be. Now you have to change your avatar and join the Yellow Fever group.:D:D

Your wife probably appreciates your color choice and approves.:headbang:

A picture to compare your color to.

Attachments

• PA120383.jpg
    PA120383.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang