Help me choose between Yellow SRT and Yellow Z06

SFYellow

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am very new to this forum (this is my first post).
I am comming from the Corvette site, I owned C5 for a while (sold it 2 years ago) and was happy with it though wanted Viper, but could not afford it at the time. 3 years ago it was no brainer Viper is the best sport car for the money, now with the Z06 on the market I am not so certain. I understand that the performance is close, but Z06 has more innovative gizmos in it and a little better on the performance. However, one thing that I am not sattisfied with Z06 is that for the kind of money I pay I want to have somewhat exclusivity, but with Z06 looking a lot like C6 I would not get this exclusivity. Hence, I turn to Viper.
As you can see above I know some Z06 pluses, but wanted to hear some Viper pluses from the Viper owners.

Also, what kind of bolt on mods can be put on Viper to increase its performance by 50HP but real HP not imaginative.

Thanks all.

jaydoc1

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't owned a C6 Z06, but I did own a Z51 C6 for about six months, so here's my take..
The 'Vette is more practical, and indeed, has more gizmos. But....
Once you have a Viper, it will always be in your mind. I sold my '01 RT10 two years ago, and now I'm back with my '03.
:)
Nothing like the Viper for the $$, IMHO.
:laugh:
"Yes, that's my Viper." Can't beat that.
:headbang:

AxlRoseViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why come on a viper forum and ask if they would choose a viper over a vette...everyone on here chose a viper over a vette so there's your answer.

The Z06 is a great car...but doesnt stand out in a crowd. Also doesn't come in a convertible...and that experience also is a lot of fun.

You can't go wrong with either, but I gurantee you that you will never regret the viper purchase, and only regret the day you get rid of it.

Went through the same situation as Sam above...excecpt I didnt buy a busted up used one...

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like everyone has already said, the exclusiveness of the Viper makes it well worth the purchase. Everywhere I go in the bay area there are tons of Vettes. They dont get a second look. And they all look the same to most people whether its a Z06 or a C6. I personally havent driven the new Vette,but from past Vette's Ive seen or driven, there are more gadgets and little things that make more sense for a daily driver. Yet the Viper can still be a daily driver too.

Ive always said with my cars or streetbikes I was going to get what looked the best. Who cares about power when there all so close. And you can easliy add more power. But it will take alot more to make it look Great or different. Get the Viper, you will be glad you did. Ive owned mine for almost a month now. And every day has been great. It is truly a unique head turner thats a blast to drive.

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Busted up used one, hah, that's funny.
So said the d!ckweed that spent $3k for bodywork alone on a Jay Leno chin for his car.
You, sir, are indeed the epitomy of style and taste..NOT!
I can't believe you are still here. Please, please, post back up over at the OTHER site.

Sorry for the rant, SFYellow. Some people get booted off, and decide to re-join with another name.
Hopefully you take a good look at the Viper, and join the ranks.
:)

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as the Viper vs. Vette question. Well, how many Vipers did you see while you were driving yesterday. Now how many Vettes did you see. Unless you live out in the boondocks somewhere I bet you saw at least 5 to 10 Vettes and no Vipers. In the exclusivity department the Viper wins hands down.

As far as 50hp increases with bolt-ons:

http://www.seritas.com/dealercart/scripts/prodList.asp?sid=5f7hr3bs8j578bv99&idcategoryII=0&idCategory=19

You put it best. SRT ALL THE WAY!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read the most recent car and driver Supercar challenge imports vs domestic.

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Switch it up a bit, since you've already owned a 'vet, try the Viper once you're snake bitten, you won't want to go back.

Yellow Viper all the way or you can go with this one :D :

8712Odyssey-NK_B-Full_Side_1-med.JPG

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you consider a Paxton blower a bolt-on? Spend about 6-7 grand and have an instant 650 RWHP. No other mods required and proven reliable. You will smoke all but the most highly modified Vettes and get all the 'oooohhhh's' and 'aaaaahhhh's' in the process. You also have the option of a convertible with the Viper. Really, the only performance measure the new Z06 has over the SRT10 is a slight acceleration advantage (And the blower or other minor mods - gears/exhaust) will fix that. Brakes on the Viper are as good or better. Suspension setup on the Viper is as good or better. Track times always seem close in the articles I've read. The Z06 may have a slight advantage, but many seem to prefer the 'feeling' of the Viper on the track (see suspension advantage - coil-overs). Probably comes down to driver 99% of the time.

As far as comfort, you have A/C, radio, power windows, HID headlights and ABS. What else do you 'REALLY' need? Is heads up display and traction control, etc.. really that important to you? For some people things like this are, and the Vette is a better car for them. For me, anything beyond the items mention above is not necessary, especially since I am the only one that drives the car (i.e. - power seats, mirror, etc...).

Reaction score
I just sold my long awaited Z06 and bought a 06 coupe, will never look back. Your talking Z06 lightweight impossible to fix and get parts with a ton of high tech items that will only give you problems that Chevy can't fix. Viper is like driving the best street rod ever Z06 is like driving a lexus with power. For a street car it's just boring engine management system gives you nothing under 4 grand. I tried to remove some of the controls but it can't be done. If you are going to take the car on the track that's okay. If your going to take the car drag racing, just remember every time you power shift to second you might have to walk home and then its not warrantted. Chevy has a note in the glove box that says thats abuse its not covered. In the first 300 miles of driving my new Z06 I replaced a half shaft CV joint tranny repair diff repair radio replaced and right rear brake and rotor. Vipers can be bought in the 70's now. The new Z06 with its price increase is 75 for an average one and then add the markup 5 to 10 over sticker best think again.

Reaction score
I should have added You absolutely have to drive the Z06 before you buy one. If I was able to drive it first I would have never bought it. Of course thats just me it might be perfect for you. So then drive each one and see what suites your purpose. But do not buy a Z06 unless you drive it. It's just not what you think it is.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT for me.

I bought a GTS new in 99 and a C5 Z06 new in 01. I put 40,000 miles on the Corvette and have 20,000 on the Viper.

I sold the Vette last year to get a tow vehicle. I kept the Viper - I simply like it better, a lot better. Nothing rational about that.

The Vette was disposeable. The Viper is not. Either car is plenty fast enough.

Jim

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is a raw, manly sports car. The Vettes sell almost as many to women as men.

Viper has a raw sexuality that has been totally feminised in the vette.
Even the rare woman that buys a Viper has a fantastic quality totally absent in Vett owners.

Women driving next to a Vette think...someday I'm gonna get that Vette.
Women driving next to a Viper think...Someday I'm gonna get that GUY!

Vipers and Zo6's sell for about the same street price. Vipers are some of the least depreciating cars on the market, Vettes loose 1/2 their value just as soon as the next model comes along.

Zo6's can keep up with a Viper for 1 or 2 laps, then they have no endurance. Aluminum chassis is turning our to be a huge mistake that insurance companies and owners will be paying for for years to come.

Get the Viper. No comparison

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go somewhere for a few days, rent one of each and drive it places with lots of people and see which one gets you noticed more and generates the most conversations. Rent-a-Vette in Las Vegas comes to mind. They don't have a Z06 but plenty of other GM bowtie symbol cars to rent (they all look the same anyway). They also have a red or white SRT.

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I owned a 2004 Z06 for 2 years. I put 2600 miles on it.

I have owned my 2006 SRT-10 for 2 months. I have already put 1400 miles on it.

As somebody else said: The vette is a "woman's car" or if a man owns it, it's probably a garage queen. At least that's the purpose the vette had in my home.

I never really enjoyed to drive it and used the Mustang instead. (Well, honestly a good reason for that is that the top didn't come off the Z06).

The vette has got way too many gizmos that don't serve any purpose but eye candy... The Viper drives fine without cruise control and other unnecessary gizmos :)

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive both cars and see what you like. Who cares what others think? Will they be riding shotgun with you all the time? Will they make the payments? Nope. Get what you like. Try them. If someone does not want to give you a test ride....move on.

I have to admit, however, there is just something about the Viper. No other car has it.

Les Quam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take them both for a test drive. I was pretty disappointed in the 2006 Z06s performance based on my expectations after reading the magazine articles and road tests regarding the Z06. It didn't feel any faster than my second generation 450 HP Vipers? I drove a 2005 SRT last year and was pretty impressed with the power and brakes. In my opionion a test drive will tell you everything you need to know, as opposed to asking a group of current Viper owners who already compared the two cars and chose a Viper.

1st Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in the same boat last year. I spent months and months pulling my hair out trying to decide without driving either one. I owned 3 new vettes in the 90's (90, 92, and 94 Z51's), then I moved to Ferraris (90 Testarossa, 95 F355tb). I knew the new Z06 was going to be amazing and I knew what the Viper was like from magazine articles. I never even rode in a C5 or C6 or any Viper. When the cars were finally tested and the articles came out, I narrowed down my decision to the high tech gizmos of the Z06 and the great seats and sound of the Viper as well as the more radical appearance (both have great performance). To the average person, a Z06 is just another vette. I've never liked the quiet exhaust of the vette (always catering to women and older men who like quiet cars with automatic transmissions (buy a Buick!) in my opinion, and I'm 44). I thought a Viper would be closer to a race car than a vette. For those reasons and because I never owned a Viper, I ordered an 06 Coupe. I got it for a little over invoice and I found out that the nearby Chevy dealer was selling Z06's for $95-100,000, so that made me feel better. Anyway, I really like the car. At one point when I was having doubts about my decision, everyone (car guys and regular people) said I made the right decision. Go with a Viper!

jaydoc1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are a couple drawbacks to owning a Viper which I hadn't really considered before buying one.

1)For my Viper at least: No Beverages or Snacks in the Car! :nono: If I take it anywhere distant that will pretty much stink.

2) Inability to park it comfortably anywhere which pretty much limits me to loop drives. Pull out of the garage, drive the car, pull back into the garage. That may change someday, but I doubt it.