Horsepower gains porting stock heads ??

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been thinking about porting my stock 1997 cylinder heads but have never seen the insides of the ports and don't know how the factory leaves them. Sometimes you see that the factory has done a decent job and sometimes you see a lot of room for improvement. Just wondering if anybody has any input on this for me. Also if anyone knows the horsepower gains to be expected. Thanks in advance!

Bo

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are no aftermarket heads for the Viper, so any HP numbers you see posted on this site for gains with heads are for ported stock heads. Seems to range in the 40-60hp area for heads alone. When coupled with a cam change, perhaps gets you in the 60-100hp area.

Never heard of anyone trying to do their own heads. Most swap their stock heads for ported heads from a tuner. Costs are in the $2500 - $5000 range with core exchange and not counting installation costs.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just be aware of the extra cost to change gaskets. Be prepared for sticker shock! Mine were $500.

OP
OP
B

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,

Thanks for the info. I've been porting cylinder heads since 1988 but have not yet done a set of Viper heads. GT Snake reports gasket set is $500.00 Talk about Viper tax !! I'm going to pull them off & port them. 40 - 60 HP for $500.00 sounds good to me . I've certainly paid more for less. After I get mine under my belt I'll be available to do others if anybody is interested.

Bo

3snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi BO HOW ARE YOU DOING? I HAVE BEEN VERY BUSY. WHEN YOU GET YOURS DONE PUT ME ON YOUR LIST. THANKS STEVE

OP
OP
B

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

Good to hear from you. Let me know if your going to any car shows in the area. I'll cruise out with you. Also I will let you know how I make out with the porting. I will be installing headers & rockers at the same time. I don't know if I want to tie the car up during the summer but I might take a few days off from work to get it all done. Keep in touch.

Bo

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are no aftermarket heads for the Viper, so any HP numbers you see posted on this site for gains with heads are for ported stock heads. Seems to range in the 40-60hp area for heads alone. When coupled with a cam change, perhaps gets you in the 60-100hp area.

Never heard of anyone trying to do their own heads. Most swap their stock heads for ported heads from a tuner. Costs are in the $2500 - $5000 range with core exchange and not counting installation costs.

Sorry but this is not correct info.

There are 2 different aftermarket castings available for the viper from Mopar. Not many use them because of the cost but they are out there.