How do you answer?

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am constantly having people ask me "when are you gonna let me borrow the Viper?" These range from people I know well, to workmates, to people I've never met before. I usually try to keep it funny, like "I lend it out the second Tuesday of each week", to "I left the keys here for you yesterday and you never picked them up!" I know most of these people are just kidding, but I don't want to come off as a snob.

How do all of you answer this question? :dunno:

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tell them "I sorry I cant,my insurance company does not allow anyone but me to drive and their insurance company would not cover a exotic." There are some friends I would trust but they cant replace the car either.

Last edited:

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just say NO! My three son's keep asking and I tell them NO! I don't use any cover story such as the insurance coverage.

Be brief and clear. NO!

My collector car coverage does include family. But, I just don't want any problem. If I ding it, that's fine they make more.

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You just have to nicely tell them NO, unless you want it wrecked, we both know the 1st thing they are gonna do is "floor it".

Only person I've ever let drive mine was a friend who has had numerous high end cars, including a viper, and he let me borrow his ferrari, so I figured I was safe, lol:usa:

Dr V

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree, If the person has something equal in value (one of my friends). We will switch it up once in a while. Never a stranger. But their driving style is the same as mine. Slow and safe at first. Then you can mash it. Keep in mind. They are only cars. To me that is.

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ignore it or say no.

There is only one person I allow to drive my viper other then me, as I am the only person he allows to drive his rides.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always say "Let me sleep on it and I'll get back with you"and sometimes they say "really" and I say yeah......:dunno::nono::omg:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say..."Sure, as long as you can write me a check for $70,000 that wount bounce."

A check for $70K?!? That won't cut it at Casa Dave.

My financial requirements of the loanee before loaning the car:

-> $100K for basic vehicle replacement cost

-> $250K for all the time I've spent on it

-> $1 million to cover what you might hit

-> $1 million retainer if you screw up and I get sued

All of that needs to be in cash.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You just have to nicely tell them NO, unless you want it wrecked, we both know the 1st thing they are gonna do is "floor it".

Only person I've ever let drive mine was a friend who has had numerous high end cars, including a viper, and he let me borrow his ferrari, so I figured I was safe, lol:usa:

That works! Though I am picturing one guy spinning the Viper into a pole, then seeing the Ferrari getting launched Dukes of Hazzard style into a lake.

Abe Froman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All great answers… I however, have momentary bouts with turrets and a quick reply consisting of “As long as I can nail your daughter while you take it around the block” ends all discushions. Its also ended a few friendships.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll usually say something like, "Sure. Stay here and I'll go get the keys."....and just walk away.

Dave: you forgot: "$9.95 for the white vents".
:D

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just smile & change the subject. There is one guy I said that can drive it, just because he owns many high end cars & would respect it. But he's not came and drove it yet. But I guess I haven't asked to drive his cars either.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just smile & change the subject.

That's what I do, but I usually add "it's just a Dodge."

That said, I have let folks drive it but not without me being nearby or riding shotgun.

There is one friend that asked when I was gonna let him drive it. I said, "The way you drive, are you kidding? You run stop signs, talk on the phone, don't pay attention, spill drinks, last week you backed into another car." He hasn't asked since.

Zrxpilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its one of the things I dont like about this car. Ive let a handfull of people drive it on their own but not many. My girlfriend and a couple close friends. Others I offer to let them drive it with me as a passenger sometime.

Its a very real liability, and for what. You dont owe your car to anybody. You did what you had to do to get it that at some point in time required a sacrifice. They can as well.

Frankster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not long after I got my Viper I let a lifelong friend drive it.
He's a pretty good driver so I didn't see an issue.

So he gets it on a road (I'm with him of course) and he opens it up. Not a problem with me if you can see the road wayyyy up ahead. Only trouble was this road had small hills such that you couldn't see what was on the other side of that hill until you came to the crest. If you're going the limit it's no issue but when you're going in excess of 130 MPH it was a dangerous situation. I had yell at the top of my lungs and pound on the center console with all my might to get him to snap out of it.

So now I have the courage to say no to ANYONE and not blink an eye!

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had the car three months and I've already let 4 other people drive it.
:omg:
I guess it goes to my flying background, but I give a very serious "Pre-flight briefing" to each new "Pilot". I make it very clear that the car WILL Kill you if you disrespect it. All have been very respectful of it. It can be driven normally, and most just enjoy the chance to tool around and be seen in it.

Of course, I know these people very well & trust them, and I always copilot.

Whats the point of having a thrillride like this if you dont share it with people?
;)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just go with the "insurance only covers me" line. I've let a few people drive it, but its always been in empty parking lots where they never hit 20mph. They get to say they "drove" a Viper and I was shotgun so the car was never in any danger. They knew I'd kill them if they tried anything stupid :rolaugh: Besides techs, the only people to drive my car on an actual road is my dad and 1 other Viper owner. The 3 techs to drive it are also friends, so they also knew what the wrath of a Viperless Chad would bring :D

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure buddy as soon as a flock of pink *** Monkeys flies out of your shorts and does the chorus line from Hello Dolly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For people I don't know I just ask them are they freakin kidding?

People that do know me don't even bother asking, they know the answer is no. If one ever did I think I would tell them that I value our friendship to much to let them drive, if something were to happen we would both feel like crap.

that should end it right there.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I let each of my kids drive it at half throttle. That's one way to get a HUGE adreleline surge! Otherwise I'll lend it when my friends are lending me their Murci.

Ted