How do you answer?

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't know who your friends are but none of mine would ever ask to borrow my Viper. Most of them have nicer cars than I do.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good story. Back in the day when I lived in Orlando I swaped cars with DR J for half a day. He could actually drive it but his head stuck out so far up on my old gen 1. I took his hummer. I will have to dig up the pics classic. I got to meet George Gervin too. Very cool moment. I figured the Dr.could cover any problems

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh my response is ....."uhhhhhhh. hahaaaa! yeh that's funny!"

naahhhh actually if it's another Viper driver and I am friends with them, yeh I have let them. there have been some times where other owners have met up and one guy is without his Viper so I take passenger seat, but that's more of a 'I like the traditional role' kinda thing and it's more fun over there anyway, about 50mph faster haha hopefully they will get on it.

NorthernSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like your doing pretty good already...most people are just joking, so they can get a slightly sarcastic joking answer. to the few who are serious they can get a serious answer when they press the issue. Just tell them, "I dont let anyone who isnt married to me drive my cars, and even she is heavily supervised". Its just not worth it...you have NOTHING to gain and everything to loose.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This has probably happened to me 500+ times since early 1993. My answer, friend or stranger, is the same: "Make One Payment........." That usually ends in a yuck-yuck....

I have probably let 20 folks drive my cars at PIR after verifying their credentials of course....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good story. Back in the day when I lived in Orlando I swaped cars with DR J for half a day. He could actually drive it but his head stuck out so far up on my old gen 1. I took his hummer. I will have to dig up the pics classic. I got to meet George Gervin too. Very cool moment. I figured the Dr.could cover any problems

Cool Story!

I traded with MLB-HOF Bob Gibson...... but it was in 1973.........now THAT is 'back in the day....'

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say; I like my car but i care about you more. ;)

Good answer....safety issue....iffn i had a helmet with me....and maybe after i install the race harness....it's very over powered and i don't want to see u get hurt...and you can't push the pedal down more than half way or you'll spin around sideways...and 17% of all new Vipers are totaled in the first year of ownership ....and yada yada...and then they finally give up...or I change the subject:lmao:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as they are qualifyed (owned or are a owners of cars in the Vipers power range )i never had a problem with it .The Gen 4 i always advised extreme caution with though esp if it was cold (powerband comes on all at once up top).The above being said i would never let a friend thats not qualifyed go near any of my Vipers (if their TRUE friends and dont know how to drive they should not be asking to test drive of all things a Viper that not a friend in my book )

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been asked. I reply "Have you ever driven a Viper like this?" the answer is always "No". I reply, "well, then we're not gonna change that today". I guess maybe someone will eventually answer "yes" - then I'll improvise with something like, "well, then you won't find anything different about this one".

I pay the Valet then park the car myself & keep the keys, no body has ever said anything about it other than "nice car".

smcosta90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never had anyone I don't know ask me to drive it. I've had guys in mini vans ask to trade. My response is usually, "Sure, but if anything happens you just bought yourself an '01 Viper and me an '09".

K

Kaya

Hehehe, I just say NO!

I actually used to catch my self hiding the keys so my husband had to ask for them...I realized that was kind of stupid and mean....so now all the keys are out and available for both of us.

I bought a t shirt for my new jeep that says "Yes it's fun, No you can't drive it!"

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually just cite the story I first read when I was a noob to the car and this forum.

The story was about the guy who just got a viper, spent a fortune on getting it exactly the way he wanted it, and gave in to a friend who promptly (within 29 sec.) wrapped it around a parking lot light pole.

The guy was sick for a week....

Bottom line is "Never let your friends drive your Viper".

I have never had a problem with anyone asking again or being offended.

The only other person who has driven my Viper is my wife.... and since I lowered my seat 2" about the only driving she does is to back it out of the garage and then back in when I am not home. For this she has to add a booster and now does not typically drive the car.