How much is your car cost? = rude

Lucid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's spring time and time for my 08 viper to come out of the garage. The most annoying and I feel rude question I get asked anywhere I go is "how much is your car?" I just feel uncomfortable when someone screms that or asks at a drive thru. I just say the truth about 100.

Anyone get this question a lot or have a better response? I didn't get the viper to show off I just love sports cars.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks who are this socially clueless deserve any number of responses in kind such as;

"Dodge gave it to me when I won the Brickyard"

"it was a birthday present from my wife--she gave me this a a gift certificate for lap dances at the local strip bar--what a girl"

"I have no idea, it is stolen."

"I bought it with my bonus--I work for AIG"

"Not that much--I made it"

"A lot more than your parents' spent on your education"

I hate to say it but I have told folks some of these over the last 14 yrs.

RedLiner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know what you mean, it makes me feel very uncomfortable too.

Its usually the kid working the gas pumps that asks this stupid question. I personally think they are just dumbfounded, they open their mouths and its the first thing that come out. They just can't help themselves.

I gotta remember a couple of those good lines to use. :D

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like to be asked the question either; but, don't come off as a smart a$$ in your answer. I find that a smile and humor or a truthful non-answer is the answer.

Q: "how much is your car?"
Response: I'm not ready to sell, but, make me an offer !

Q: "How much did you pay for it?"
Response : A lot of hard earned bucks; but, it's my dream car, so it was worth it to me !

Q: "What did it cost you?"
Response: Well, I had to sell a couple of the kids; but, they weren't pulling their weight around the house anyway.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's spring time and time for my 08 viper to come out of the garage. The most annoying and I feel rude question I get asked anywhere I go is "how much is your car?" I just feel uncomfortable when someone screms that or asks at a drive thru. I just say the truth about 100.

Anyone get this question a lot or have a better response? I didn't get the viper to show off I just love sports cars.

Tell them it's priceless. Someday they may have a car they consider irreplaceable.

Bob

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ya think that's bad, I had a guy just walk up to me while I was at a gas station and just flat asked if he could drive my Viper. He was serious too and got very offended when I said no.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya think that's bad, I had a guy just walk up to me while I was at a gas station and just flat asked if he could drive my Viper. He was serious too and got very offended when I said no.

same thing happened to me at wally world, i was buying a model viper and the check out girl ask "your dream car"? i said yeah and that i had 1 already and the next thing she said in all seriousness was "can i drive it?" :omg:

:dunno: i don't think she was offended but she looked at me like i was the bad one for saying no :nono:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont mind so much depending on how they ask. if its a kid wondering how much his dream car is gonna be, i like answering it. if its an adult sizing me up or something, i try not to answer

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm embarrassed to tell them what the car is worth...in todays market.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tell tem it took me 12 years to save enough money to buy one. And then I tell them that you can do it too if you work hard... Thats for the kids and teenagers.

For adults, I tell them that I lost the count many years ago.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont mind so much depending on how they ask. if its a kid wondering how much his dream car is gonna be, i like answering it. if its an adult sizing me up or something, i try not to answer

Same here.... but if the adult is polite I tell them "It depends on which model, year and style they want. that :confused:'s them.
I do like the funny come backs to for openers but I never want to leave anyone with the feeling that I'm a pompas sports car ****.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I generally respond:

"didn't your mother ever teach you it's not polite to ask questions like that !"

one car full of teenage guys then razzed their friend that asked the question, after that one even smacked the kid in the back of the head laughing his head off

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you expect? We drive an exotic, rarely seen race car...it's to be expected. But I think next time I will respond with "I used my stimulus check to put the down payment on her and I'm hoping my extended unemployment benefits will cover the payments for at least this year."

Last edited:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"how much do you owe in credit card debt?"

"give me $200K and you can have it!"

"oh about $50 how much was YOUR car?"

"go buy one then you will know"

I always get the comment, 'gee that's really nice he let's you drive his car!' Yeeehhh it is he's so goooood to me, I just loooove being married!....NOT! hahaaa

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, we get that question too...on the Viper, the Vette, the Hayabusa...and it does make me a bit uncomfortable. But I agree with the others, if it's a TEENAGER, we tell them we've worked MANY years to obtain our dream car. If it's an adult, we say "Too Much!"...lol...yeah, never be pompous.
BUT, it is a 'rude' question, I do agree with that. Would YOU ever ask someone how much THEIR car cost? I'd never. ~juli

3SXVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes its the ones who ask the question that are the **** types. You answer them either kindly or in a rude way back, you park your car, and they ding or key your car when your in getting lunch.
Honestly it is no ones business but your own, but some people have no couth.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either I ask them what they think it costs, and wait for the answer,

Or tell them my accountant takes care of all those issues.

Or "Too much, but I love it"/

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with Chuck...no big deal...just tell them...it is what it is! I sometimes tell them that it was $70K new and the new models go for over $100K. It's like answering the question, but not answering the question...that's usually enough information for them.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any purchases I make I do not disclose that info. It is nobody's business but mine. That is what the internet is for.

Bruce

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tell them the sticker price 91,250. Doesnt bother me, I actually think its a valid question, hell I am always curious on what cars cost.