I have learned my lesson....another Power Steering Pulley Story!

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3 months ago, my power steering pulley failed. Luckily, I was close to home, but I still had to get it towed (two hours wasted). I know common wisdom on this forum is the plastic is at best useless and billet is the way to go. Since I wanted to get the car back on the road quickly, I opted for the cheap $25 solution and bought the plastic pulley from OReilly's. After all, the first one lasted 15 years. Surely, I would have plenty of time to buy the billet one later on.

Well, later on happened last night. As I left our church parking lot around 9:30, the new pulley let go. I finally got the car home at midnight. The second flatbed trip home in 3 months.

A Pox on the bean counter who decided the plastic pulley was the only way to go...may his armpits be infested by the fleas of a thousand camels.

So, If anybody is on the fence about doing this very necessary preventative maintenance upgrade, you might as well do it now.

It is not a matter of if, it is only a matter of when!

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get if fitted Mark ASAP, dont wait for it to break. A few years we had a club meet driving spiritly around some mountain'ish yorkshire twisty roads, no run off or barriers, just long drops off the narrow road. After 50 mins we got off this road and pulled onto a quiet straight road when of our members (Rob)pully went in his GTS.

Luckily no problem, he just pulled over and ground to halt, then arranged a 5 hour trip on a recovery truck for his viper straight to Bazs house

We all said you wouldnt of wanted that to happen on the mountain road coming onto the fast bends to find out you have no power steering... Two weeks later a big group of us meet at Baz house for a billet pulley and bracket install

before this event, there had been a few break over here, one guys exploded while we were over at the Isle of Man, and ask *** about her pully failure it involved x2 long trips on flatbed while trying to compete at a one mile drag race

Last edited:

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What Gen Viper Power Steering Pulley failure is most common on?

Would Gen 1 qualify for this??

Arthur

no, gen1 was a metal pulley your safe but look at your bracket, for some crazy idea they swapped to plastic pulleys on the gen2's

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you got stranded twice. The OEM pulley is actually a pretty thick casting with a metal hub. It's just that when it fails, you're out of luck.

I installed the IPSCO pulley and bracket and was impressed with the overall quality and ease of installation. Mark at IPSCO was great to deal with too.

Agree with previous comment about OEM bracket...very light-duty part. Billet looks much stronger than OEM.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry to hear of your 2x, R2

just went out and checked mine..... :crazy2: .......now i'm going to be driving scared :omg:

so how long a job is this for your average wrencher :dunno:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe for those who are new, can somone post a pic of a broken one so newbies know what to look for.

Just a thought.

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happened to me is, as I turned the wheel, there was surge or **** follow by the sound of the pulley hub Plastic to steel interface being destroyed as the pulley spun on the hub, followed by the thump of the belt being tossed and the immediate loss of steering assistance and the eventual rise in coolant temp as the water pump stops spinning.

Mopar Boy, Both pulleys are at home, so pics will have to wait. The pulley looks okay until you grab it. Once you put side pressure on it, you will know instantly that it is broken.

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry to hear of your 2x, R2

just went out and checked mine..... :crazy2: .......now i'm going to be driving scared :omg:

so how long a job is this for your average wrencher :dunno:

The first time, it only took me a half hour or so to change the pulley. I left the pump mounted to the car. The right puller makes all the difference. I rented one from O'Reilly's. I was surprised it was so easy after reading all of the horror stories.

The second time around will be longer because I will be changing the mounting bracket as well.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GEN IIs are getting a up there in regards to age. I would seriously consider taking a real good look at all of the rubber on the car. Even though some of the rubber is not a safety issue.

Engine & tranny mounts, "A" arm bushings, steering bushings, etc.

All of the above can affect handling and therefore safety can become an issue especially on twisty roads.

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Robert, Here are the pictures that you requested.

New OEM PulleyPower Steering Pulley

Good_Stock_PS_Pulley.JPG

Broken OEM Pulley Power Steering Pulley

Broken_Stock_PS_Pulley.JPG

Broken Dorman Aftermarket Power Steering Pulley

Broken_Dorman_PS_Pully.JPG

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure, that your pulley swap would have been fine if you had used another OEM pulley. Aftermarket stuff is junk, and that's across the board for any vehicle. The names O'reilly, Kragen, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. should NEVER have any association with a Viper other than wax. I didn't realize the pulley's were an issue on non supercharged cars.

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camfab, I can't help but to agree with your post. The evidence is pretty clear in the degree of destruction around the hub. The aftermarket part failed miserably. I do have an OEM Pulley, (found it after I bought and installed the cheapie) but I am leery of putting it on. I really don't want to go through this whole experience yet again.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see why for sure, but do you think there is an outside factor? Bent pump shaft or something else. I always thought the issue only occured on blown cars due to the excessive tension required to keep the belts from slipping. Same with the bracketry. Now you've got me wondering.

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if there is another factor in play. It is possible the pump or bearings might be on the verge of failing. It could just be that the plastic simply can't handle the load of this engine in stock form puts out. There are plenty of examples of NA PS Pulley's failing.

After giving this a little more thought, I believe that some of the factors that lead to failures are as follows:

1. The size of the ribs on the steel hub- they seem to be rather fine. It could be that the ribs of the insert just don't have enough leverage due to the height or bite into the "Plastic"
2. Ageing of the filled resin "Plastic". Nothing last forever.
3. Repeated sudden acceleration and deceleration of the pulley. This rocking back and forth motion could over time displace or remove enough material that the ribs on the insert essential act as reaming tool, opening up the hole to the point that it spins the pulley on the insert.
4. Possible worn shaft bearings on the PS pump that could cause increased rotational and side loading.

We have enough smart people on this board that I am sure they could think up some more possible contributing factors.

End result is that filled resin pulleys are a poor choice for a High Horse Power car that cost $70 G's brand new. Kind of insulting in fact!

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lost one at Sebring several years ago. Replaced both the GTS and RT/10 along with the bracket and high pressure hose. Cheap insurance.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year one of the UK members cars broke on the way to a show, 1996 GTS, N/A. So it happens on non boosted cars too ;)

Great pics there Ratical2
Thanks for posting those up :1up:

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark at IPSCO has been machining a number of Pantera and Viper parts for years. His Power Steering Pump Pulley utilizes a self locking hub that doesn't require a puller for it's installation or removal. Do a google search for IPSCO and you will find him. Here's a picture...

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark at IPSCO has been machining a number of Pantera and Viper parts for years. His Power Steering Pump Pulley utilizes a self locking hub that doesn't require a puller for it's installation or removal. Do a google search for IPSCO and you will find him. Here's a picture...

You must be registered for see images

Now that is a work of art!

OP
OP
R

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Followup: The pulley and bracket from IPSCO arrived at my house on Wednesday. Mark is a great guy to deal with, thanks LifeIsGood. It took me about an 1 hour and half to unbolt the PS PUMP( I didn't remove it from the car), pull the pulley, remove and replace the bracket, reinstall the pump, install new billet pulley and reinstall the serp. belt.

If I had done this sooner, it would have saved me at least one flatbed trip home.

Using the right puller makes all the difference. I rented this kit from O'Reilly's:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/KD-TOOLS-Power-Steering-Pump-Pulley-Kit-2HLF2?cm_sp=IO-_-IDP-_-RR_VTV70300505&cm_vc=IDPRRZ1

So, if you haven't already done the correction/modification to your Gen2, You might has well get off the stick and get her done. Don't wait like I did!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R