I'm disappointed in the Gen 5 forum

balance

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is comparable for the $$? Sit in a new Porsche, Maserati etc... because that is the quality of the GenV cabin. Then factor in the performance ... this car is amazing!

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our Viper Club of America has the more access to the engineering team and leadership team than any other car club. They listen to us and answer our questions (often on their own time). I was disappointed to see lots of subject lines and comments that are arguably rude. We should be more respectful to the team that does so much for us. That doesn't mean we can't tell them what we want. I would be really bummed if they just tuned us out because we don't appreciate their efforts. If my comments make me a suckup then sign me up to be a "Venom Suckup".:irked:

mcextra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Went to NYC today to see it. The pics and video do not tell the story, the car is unreal. The voluptuousness of the Gen II is back, it's beautiful. When I got back home I had to go to the garage and peak at my '06 coupe... it just doesn't have the "Wow" it did yesterday.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Looking for the Belanger set up for the Gen V and a mgw shift knob." Who has it?:crazy2: Just kidding and look forward to seeing it up close when my dealer gets one in around Nov-Dec.

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robert,

You are too kind to the complainers. I am very disappointed in the threads/posts I have seen in this section. It's one thing to offer an opinion, but some of the posts and thread titles are rude at best.

Funny thing is why are these guys hung up on this 700 HP crap?

I guess 640 HP isn't good enough for these guys.... they wouldn't know what to do with a Gen1 with 400 HP let alone 640 HP on the Gen V. :rolaugh:

The most action they get out of their Vipers is driving it on and off the trailer. And lets not forget the real thrill of polishing their Viper for hours with a baby diaper. :rolaugh:

Maybe they need more horsepower bragging rights to compensate for a deficiency in something else. :D

Now that I have now struck a nerve with some of these people..... they can sit back and see how the SRT engineers might feel about some of this garbage they have been reading on this discussion forum.

By the way SRT, the car is gorgeous!:2tu::usa:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna get the Gen5, and check my texts while on Turn 8 at WillowSprings!

Can't wait!

:^)

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I read this quote on supraforums. I think it sums it all up IMO.

I'm more than a bit puzzled by the comments that the car is a let down because the design does not go far enough. The design of the 2-gen GTS is iconic and, IMO, once you get it right (AC Cobra, Porsche 911, to name a couple), you don't make drastic changes. After getting it right most changes are incremental, as they should be. The outgoing car strayed from this a bit with mixed results. This car corrects those mistakes, IMO, and puts the car back on the correct styling/design path. I can see guys quibbling about the details, like the Porsche guys quibble about the head lamps on the 996 versus the 993s and 997s, but very few quibble about the basic 911 design principles and for good reason. I believe the design of the 2013 Viper places the styling of this car right where it needs to be. It absolutely cannot be mistaken for anything else, it's a Viper through and through and those are very good things, IMO.
Ken.

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder how many of the so called "fans" will write a check to buy a new viper, not a used one?

I think if you haven't bought a new viper lately you should and then let us know....

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If SRT is listening, at least half, if not the majority agree the car looks fantastic, but the only letdown was the HP numbers. Mostly because of the Mopar engines launched a few months back that mislead us into thinking there was an 8.7 liter in the works. To redeem themselve in this one area, the ACR better not be just an aero package, but a bump in HP. Who knows, I have a feeling the HP numbers may be underated. Hasn't everyone noticed it say "ESTIMATED" HP everywhere, even in the spec sheet? I think SRT left some room in there for competitive error. Remember when the GEN3 came out with 500HP then was bumped to 510 when the Z06 claimed 505? This engine may be underated. They can't beat the F12, at least on paper. But I have a feeling it will, then they'll say "oops" and "nothing we can do now". The 1/4 mile times and RW dyno results will tell. Anything under 10.7 will have to be more than 640 HP. based on the HP to weight. I also have a feeling Mopar will release a chip that will up this thing to 675 or better.

At any rate, Forged Pistons are welcome back with open arms. This means forced induction and nitrous are a viable solution again for those that need it. And to all the naysayers, you can NEVER have too much HP on a good platform. There will always be room for more. My GEN1 is a lot funner at 550HP than 400HP. And I think the GEN5 will be a better slate to start from for power adders than the 2000 - 2010's. Maybe Roe can make a bolt-on supercharger for the current Viper again.

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If SRT is listening, at least half, if not the majority agree the car looks fantastic, but the only letdown was the HP numbers. Mostly because of the Mopar engines launched a few months back that mislead us into thinking there was an 8.7 liter in the works. To redeem themselve in this one area, the ACR better not be just an aero package, but a bump in HP. Who knows, I have a feeling the HP numbers may be underated. Hasn't everyone noticed it say "ESTIMATED" HP everywhere, even in the spec sheet? I think SRT left some room in there for competitive error. Remember when the GEN3 came out with 500HP then was bumped to 510 when the Z06 claimed 505? This engine may be underated. They can't beat the F12, at least on paper. But I have a feeling it will, then they'll say "oops" and "nothing we can do now". The 1/4 mile times and RW dyno results will tell. Anything under 10.7 will have to be more than 640 HP. based on the HP to weight. I also have a feeling Mopar will release a chip that will up this thing to 675 or better.

At any rate, Forged Pistons are welcome back with open arms. This means forced induction and nitrous are a viable solution again for those that need it. And to all the naysayers, you can NEVER have too much HP on a good platform. There will always be room for more. My GEN1 is a lot funner at 550HP than 400HP. And I think the GEN5 will be a better slate to start from for power adders than the 2000 - 2010's. Maybe Roe can make a bolt-on supercharger for the current Viper again.

Well said! I am hoping that if/when the GTS/ACR comes out, it comes looking exactly like the GTS-R and with at least 675, but am still hoping for 700..................:2tu:

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Opinions and a$$holes; everyone has them. If you don't like the car, don't buy it. I think they knocked it out of the park. I plan on one being in my garage in a little over a year. I love my Gen3 but this is a whole new level. Keep it up SRT and don't listen to all the QQ out there.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone crying about the Mustang 650 hp needs to look further up the food chain. Bugatti Veyron - over 1000 hp from the factory.

There is your bragging rights. Save up!

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is amazing, I was a bit disappointed in all of the immediate and, quite noisy, criticisms here on the forum, but then I had to remind myself that this country is filled to the brim with whiners and complainers. Why its the American way.... It follows that the ranks of the VCA wouldn't be immune:D. I still love my, now old, GTS but it isn't 1998 any more. Change just keeps'a coming. The Viper has grown up, and just like kids, more complex and ready to take on a new and different landscape. I remember being at the last Le Mans race with the Carsport America Viper trying to hang in there. I watched in silent frustration, as it was shouted down by newer Porsches, Corvettes, and Ferraris. Dodge wasn't even involved in the ALMS at the time, instead focusing on GT challenge. As beastly as it was, that chassis' heyday had passed--kinda like mine :D.

Now we have a phoenix rising from the ashes of a nearly dead company, and we get all this complaining from a first glimpse at the new platform, and some softly estimated hp numbers. Man....I am grateful for the resurrection of a Viper car so close to the original, and for all of the thoughtful improvements that have been put into this fascinating new car. Look again at the specs, materials, craftsmanship, fit and finish. Think about what it could have been; a cancellation of the project all together, a horrible hybrid, or some dubious "all new" super nanny-teched interpretation of what a Viper should be. This is 2012 with the USA coming out with its first truly world class exotic supercar. All of the whining is just more proof that, as if we need more--you just can't please everyone; even the faithful. As soon as I get the kids through college, I am placing an order for a new solid red gts.:headbang::drive:

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 640 HP number is by far the biggest complaint. I get it, but of those that are complaining how many of you have maxed out your Vipers potential? There will be a few of you that have really built cars and I applaud you but my guess is the vast majority aren't even pushing 640hp with their personal Vipers when we know you could make it happen with the right combination of parts and deep pockets.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not replied to any of these threads...seemed pointless, we all have opinions, but the bashing of others' opinions is not what this forum is all about.
All I have to say about the new Viper/Stryker is this: 640hp with 3.55 gears = Seat of the Pants/Acceleration (which is what most of us Viper Owners wanted, most of us don't / didn't track at all).
Need I say more? (ANNNNNND, let it begin........................
~juli

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do people keep comparing a Viper to a Mustang anyway? I really don't get that. Not even in the same league.

Or planet, for that matter. :smirk:

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those who say the new Viper doesn't look "viper-like" must have never seen pictures of a real snake before. IMO the gen V looks more like a snake than any of the previous generations by far. Here's a picture to point out at least 4 serpentine design-cues on the front fascia alone.
You must be registered for see images attach

Edit: Glottis, not Jacobs' Organ

Last edited:

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The tone of some critics here though is too harsh and discourteous towards other forum members. I've only seen pics but personally I like the Gen 5 car. I probably have a different perspective than most of you do. In early January I had a 5 lb. 8" x 6" Spindle Cell Neoplasm Mass removed from my left chest cavity. So I'm thrilled that I'm still here to see the Gen 5 debut. And to be able to drive and enjoy my Gen 3 Viper. It is one of the more pleasureable things in life. Believe me there are much more important things in life such as the way you treat and talk to other people. :)

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there's a lot more difference between the Viper and the Viper GTS than people realize. Best to compare the previous Vipers with the Viper and acknowledge that the Viper SRT goes in the direction of a highly customizable Grand Touring car. The former should satisfy a large segment of the current owners, the latter may well attract a whole new buying public and maybe satisfy some of the current Viper owners who for some reason or another want to move in the direction of the Grand Touring car. Sort of a cake and eat it both. It will be interesting to track the sales of each model after the initial buying is over. I think that the Viper SRT may well capture new buyers. Lets hope the Viper Nation welcomes one and all!

IMO the Viper I trully lust after is a street version of the -R, wider body, trans in the rear and all.

Golfer15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the car of my dreams, a VIPER !! I'm glad the people in charge decided to keep the Viper going !! Now someone else has an opportunity to have a car of their dreams whether it be a Gen V, a Gen VI, etc. They will be happy with what ever they have because it is still a VIPER !!! If you want more of this or more of that, then buy a car with what you want in it.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wrong part of the anatomy... I meant the glottis. The tube through which snakes breath while they swallow things larger than their heads. The jacob's organ is how snakes smell.

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
AMEN Twin well said!

@viperJon every comment you make is a NEGATIVE ONE

One day you're going to say something to the wrong guy here and really piss someone off.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robert,

You are too kind to the complainers. I am very disappointed in the threads/posts I have seen in this section. It's one thing to offer an opinion, but some of the posts and thread titles are rude at best.

Funny thing is why are these guys hung up on this 700 HP crap?

I guess 640 HP isn't good enough for these guys.... they wouldn't know what to do with a Gen1 with 400 HP let alone 640 HP on the Gen V. :rolaugh:

The most action they get out of their Vipers is driving it on and off the trailer. And lets not forget the real thrill of polishing their Viper for hours with a baby diaper. :rolaugh:

Maybe they need more horsepower bragging rights to compensate for a deficiency in something else. :D

Now that I have now struck a nerve with some of these people..... they can sit back and see how the SRT engineers might feel about some of this garbage they have been reading on this discussion forum.

By the way SRT, the car is gorgeous!:2tu::usa:

In an answer to the above question, all of this goes back to one of the members on this board who has tried, repeatedly,
to kiss hind end to people in power on this board to get business.

This member went way above and beyond for over a year practically making a guarantee that he had people "in the know" and "in power" that the car would be 700 hp. It created an unrealistic expectation. Secret meetings with higher ups, practically designing the car for SRT.

It was all a ploy that people bought hook, line and sinker. They still believe, wrongly, anything this person says, instead of using logical sense that a 40 hp increase is a good increase. It would have been the most powerful engine ever produced by a US manufacturer for a regular production car.

Don't believe me about the repeated attempts at deception? Do a search on predictions for the next gen Viper. You will see repeated bull over the last two years.

Even just a few days ago, this non-sensical egotist still came out that there would be go fast goodies to raise the car to this nirvana of 700 hp. The person has absolutely no credibility or engineering sense at all. Of course the car will eventually get to 700 hp, but not right away and not with Ferrari sales being decreased.

People believe what they read. I just find the humor in it all now. Five years has calmed me down on this board. There is no reason to fight. I will let their own words make them look like idiots.

Where did it come from indeed........

Keep living in fantasy land with the supposed connections, I guess. Cry away at 640 hp.......

The SRT engineers must be scratching their heads at the magazine hp pilots on this board.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has the Viper ever had a horsepower bump within the same generation?
I would think that would be death to resale values of the "slower" year.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It has, when the 96 R/T went to 415 from 400 - was this still considered Gen 1 for teh R/Ts?

In 06, the 8.3 went from 505 to 510, but that was because ALL HP figures changes for all manufactures, because of revised SAE rules, so there was not really a bump, just what it should have been rated at all along.

Someone please correct me if I missed something.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No spot on. But as you said those, were not really hp bumps but revisions. What really ***** is losing top billing amongst American muscle.

I think the natural ownership progression from Mustang->Corvette->Viper does not necessarily hold true anymore. Time will tell.

I'm off to the autoshow tomorrow to check out 5-seat SUVs. If the Viper is still around, I'll check it out too but I don't care for it much anymore.:dunno:

-Avi
1997 VIper GTS

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I understand the HP output from the Mustang is a phony one. The full hp is only available for 8 seconds, and then goes away as the engine is being operated outside it's design parameters. This would be of no use to the Vipers for anything but a drag race.

More realistic is what the engine can put out on a consistant, reliable basis.

The Mustang uses a heavy cast iron block that would not be acceptable in the Viper. The additional weight would incure howels of derision from this forum.

The use of a supercharger would eliminate Viper's eligibiilty to run in almost all road racing environments, and would also be rejected.

So I am with the people that say that the combination of more HP, lower weight, less complexity, better gear ratios and improved suspension geometry is really the right way to go.

Plus, I think the new body style, in Carbon Fiber is drop dead gorgeous.

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you dont like HP do what I did.

I have a Roe on one of my ACR's 700 +/- HP, I have an RSI twin turbo with over 1000+ HP on another and a third one totally stock.

ALL THREE are 02's. ALL three were new when I bought them. One only has 147 miles lol

I dont know why people make such a big deal about HP just mod the heck out of it, and drive them like you stole it!

Has the Viper ever had a horsepower bump within the same generation?
I would think that would be death to resale values of the "slower" year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R