Introduction and modlist

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello All,

Just wanted to better introduce myself to the good people here and provide a modlist. Although this may take long so for people interested in the Viper talk pls skip this and go to the next post. :drive:

My sincerest apologies if this is in the wrong place but I thought introducing myself where I will spend most of my time is appropriate.

I live in Los Angeles and have always been a fan of fast things. I currently own a Ducati 1098 which I have had since '07. I've taken it to California Speedway in Fontucky and to Willow Springs (never took a car to the track though). I've decimated M5's as well as Porsche's and even a Ferrari once on a mile long 5 lane freeway that rarely has cars here in LA (90 freeway) but I have never had a fast car with the exception of my Audi TT which I had up to 250RWHP LOL!!! :lmao: All my prior cars were all show no go.

Although grip was a main factor in my usual purchase and I do like sophisticated machines like the R8 and the more affordable Porsches and M3 but the Viper in my eyes represents the :usa: American passion & capability for racing and is very basic which truly for a driver who knows how to drive, will enjoy. I aim to better myself as a driver and enjoy the car for what it is but this is the complete opposite side of the spectrum of what I am used to (lower power, lots of cornering speed and easy to regain traction when intentionally lost through quattro. My car handled like it was on rails due to the suspension setup I did. I know this car has tons of grip but the beautiful steering through the throttle and the scary instant let loose of the rear wheels makes me jittery with excitement.

There are so many reasons why I love the Viper but all of you already know that so I will refrain from reiterating what was already posted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oops...,

Looks like I cannot post anymore pics.

Anyway, here is the list I compiled of the modifications I will do in order of importance. I am looking for quality mods for reliability, taste and not overdone so I do not think I will go forced induction anytime soon.

Car currently has intake and smooth tubes, Belanger headers, stock cats I think and a straight pipe which I will replace for a Corsa unit.

I have a 2001 GTS sapphire blue:

1. power steering vent tube to go with the power steering pulley already installed.

2. HID (cheap which is why it's first)
9005 low beams 55W hid, 10000k (which should be like 8000k on a 35W)
h3 fog 35W 8000k hid (might burn the foglight housing with 55W? Anyone know?)
Lots of misleading information but I am pretty sure the 2001 GTS is a 9005 low beam headlight right?

3. eibach springs and caps (so to make my 4x4 Viper look like a car)

4. corsa exhaust - hate drone, had borla on my audi and it drove me nuts

5. High flow cats - because I have to get cats in Cali.

6. transmission & motor mounts - So I can shift easy, my shifter doesnt vibrate and a less vibrating engine I think. Well with polyurethane it may shake more. I dunno

7. short shifter??? short knob mgw??? dc perf shifter bolt?

8. Replace the T-Stat with a 170-180 degree unit.

9. side sill venting

10. ab silicone plug wires

11. Does the Vipair really work? J/K LOL

Anything left over? Any advice? Anything you would do different? Anything???

:) Thanks

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent first post....the only thing I would have done differantly was got a srt (joke)...seems like a good list so far..

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Welcome, Your VIPER is a hybrid too: Burns GAS and RUBBER.

Miles on car?

Are your tires fresh and grippy? Check the date codes. Huge safety concern. Esp since you mentioned the "surprise' rear grip loss.... fresh tires will let go slowly, and signal you. Hard tires will snap-spin you.

Clean, fresh synthetic PS fluid wont boil over if filled properly, and a TIGHT cap. I dont recommend venting PS fluid (or any fluid) down to the ground, under your tires.

HID lites have caused probs.....do you need them? The probs arent cheap.

Do the MGW knob, and the tranny mount. Should be all U need.

Once you put in the HF cats and Corsa, you wont really 'need' the sill vents.

Doing Wires (every 15K miles OE please?) Do plugs.

Your shocks are rebound adjustable. Yes! While doing Eibachs, adjust them firmer. If youu drive whoop-dee-do roads, getting light, and could bottom out...do the caps LATER. Try the Eibach Pros alone....adding the caps later is easy.

Your # 1 bang-4-buck acceleration upgrade is a rear gear swap. All 6 gears become useable and fun. Bonus: it brakes faster too!

[You can find PartsRack contact info top of page here, thanks: http://forums.viperclub.org/vendor-review-partsrack/ ]

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the wonderful advice people. The car has 12952 miles.

I live in downtown LA and Dan Cragin is about 6 miles from me.

Jon B-

I'll give you a call and possibly purchase some things from you.

Thanks everyone!!!

Just found out that the whole system is a Belanger Headers/ high flow with heat shield and exhaust system.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome, Your VIPER is a hybrid too: Burns GAS and RUBBER.

Miles on car?

Are your tires fresh and grippy? Check the date codes. Huge safety concern. Esp since you mentioned the "surprise' rear grip loss.... fresh tires will let go slowly, and signal you. Hard tires will snap-spin you.

Clean, fresh synthetic PS fluid wont boil over if filled properly, and a TIGHT cap. I dont recommend venting PS fluid (or any fluid) down to the ground, under your tires.

HID lites have caused probs.....do you need them? The probs arent cheap.

Do the MGW knob, and the tranny mount. Should be all U need.

Once you put in the HF cats and Corsa, you wont really 'need' the sill vents.

Doing Wires (every 15K miles OE please?) Do plugs.

Your shocks are rebound adjustable. Yes! While doing Eibachs, adjust them firmer. If youu drive whoop-dee-do roads, getting light, and could bottom out...do the caps LATER. Try the Eibach Pros alone....adding the caps later is easy.

Your # 1 bang-4-buck acceleration upgrade is a rear gear swap. All 6 gears become useable and fun. Bonus: it brakes faster too!

[You can find PartsRack contact info top of page here, thanks: http://forums.viperclub.org/vendor-review-partsrack/ ]

fine post as usual :drive:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the wonderful advice people. The car has 12952 miles. I live in downtown LA and Dan Cragin is about 6 miles from me.
Jon B- I'll give you a call and possibly purchase some things from you.

SIX MILES FROM DAN CRAGIN? Golden Luck....... The only Viper Owner location as good is ..............................................................................South Salem NY !!

OP
OP
H

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Jon,

Thanks for taking 43 minutes to chat with me. I went ahead and took you're advice on everything. Looks like I will be getting the HID's as it gets real dark where I drive and visibility is a concern.

Thanks a lot and looking forward to doing more business with you.

South Salem NY? hmm....

H

OP
OP
H

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That makes me very happy to hear I'm so close to DC. Thanks for the info Jon. I'll be sure to look you up if I ever come to the east.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jon B is in Washdougal, Washington (Pacific Northwest) and Chuck Tator/Viper Wizard is back east in NY.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would modify the airbox (removed rain baffle) and add K&Ns or buy a K&N airbox and filters.

I would buy smooth tubes (like an ACR comes with) for the extra 10hp.

If you're not going FI then I agree with JonB that you should buy a set of gears.

I agree with Tony as the MGW short shifter handle worked for me, even with a short shifter.

If the Borla bugs you get a Corsa - I have Corsa track and Corsa street exhaust on my Vipers.

Stereo speakers (stereo and amp are fine, just junk speakers.

Radar Detector. In California you'll be needed a GPS unit as I understand that state has re-invented the cable trigger for their 20+ Interstate speed cameras. Only radar signal is the one that gets you the ticket. Eucharistos posted a thread that California charges more fine for 0-10mph than they do for 10-20mph.

1.7 to 1 rockers and pushrods

14" front brake kit.

I own a Sapphire/silver GTS. Congrats.

Ted

OP
OP
H

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great, ordered the MGW shifter already, got spring caps for now from Jon B, and headed to DC when I receive it this weekend.

Found out that the system that is on the car is full Belanger headers, high flow cats all the way to the tip and the whole system looks so new and the cats were just installed from dealer. I guess Belanger uses dynamax or something for their exhaust. I heard the Belangered beast and think that this may be TOO loud for where I live in a highly urban area.

I'm thinking of taking the exhaust or headers out to tone it down. Havent heard it yet but I'll ask Dan and maybe can just get it tuned right or the 3.55 gears instead.

Any ideas?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oops, forgot. Jon is right. Eibachs only. I have Eibachs and my ride height is minimium. I have about 2 1/4" of ground clearance.

Jon is right, adjust your shocks stiffer and I suggest quarter balancing your car (equal weight on each tire).

I just won our Wstrn Cda autoX so my car works well.

YouTube - rtttted

You can see the ride height in the drive by video. Several AutoX vids. Red ACR has Hiflows and Corsa street exhaust with Paxton.

And I agree with Jon that tires are the MOST important. PS2s on my GTS now have over 21,000 miles on them at last Autox! Amazing tires!

Ted

OP
OP
H

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ted, I've read lots of posts from you and can tell how valuable you are to the Viper community online. Thanks for the heads up on things. The car seems to have an aftermarket alpine stereo. I hear the sapphire is really good in person as pictures dont do it justice. I have one that does not have the stripes.

Found out that the system that is on the car is full Belanger headers, high flow cats all the way to the tip and the whole system looks so new and the cats were just installed from dealer. I guess Belanger uses dynamax or something for their exhaust. I heard the Belangered beast and think that this may be TOO loud for where I live.

I'm thinking of taking the exhaust or headers out to tone it down. Havent heard it yet but I'll ask Dan and maybe can just get it tuned nicely (perhaps it's already tuned though) or the 3.55 gears instead. I would like to get wheels for it but it has a new pair of Michelin's on it (not sure if PS/1 or 2).

I believe some members on here already mentioned it has smooth tubes so I think I'm good there

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You said a Sapphire Viper?

You'll be needing this ...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_d2j82efiQ[/media]

OP
OP
H

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I watched you're video of the autocross and I certainly have plans on doing one but I want to learn the car first in it's streetability. I hope my wife can drive this thing safely.

What type of place would be good to learn this? I think an empty parking lot but should I just wait for a trackday? I'm certainly going to take lessons but in the meantime I'm not taking this in the canyons where I take my bikes.:idea:

Re the lap dance video, damn you... You just made my wait worse.:crazy2:

Have you seen Ken Block's Gymkhanna practice video? I know it's a ricer but I think that this is a must see for any car aficionado.

YouTube - Ken Block - Subaru STI Gymkhana Practice

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The AutoX is for learning. Don't take life too seriously. AutoX is at speeds similar to what we see on the roads. It's excellent practise for learning to handle your car at realistic speeds that you use everyday.

Sign up for a High Performance Driving course as it will really help you if you get into an emergency situation and mostly it will teach you driving skills that will probably save you getting into emergency situations. It's basically a cop driving course except you get to drive YOUR Viper, yahooo! I had JonB as my instructor. Kind of tough for Jon sitting in an extreme powered Viper and he's in the Passenger seat! Many instructors will refuse to instruct in a high powered car because SOME people panic and other people don't listen. Kudos to Jon!

I think of HPDriving Experience as my ESC and TC nannies. AutoX is great for staying sharp.

The AutoX vid where my son is bouncing all over the car is a winning run from a couple weeks ago.

Keep the headers (if you can) as without a sc you're way down in power. The gen 3 are 50hp up and the Gen 4s are 150hp up on you. Change to Corsa exhaust. Corsa uses sound cancelation technology to removed the ear piercing harmonics and quiet your car while sounding awesome. My Sapphire is alwasy one of (or THE) loudest car whatever show or meet I attend. So far the only complainer is the wife and she prefers the ACR with Hiflows and Street Corsa (it's quiet). My Random Tech exhaust sounded good as well. It was louder than the corsa at lower rpms and quieter than the corsa at higher rpms. One for each taste in exhaust? Check out the Red/silver 97 GTS vid and compare that to the 00 ACR Corsa.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Lap Dance ... It'll give you something to watch while you're waiting. Leslie had a plain Sapphire GTS and had a friend paint silver stripes on it for her ($300 I think). So, if the plain doesn't excite you, you can fix it! You could also get vinyl stripes applied since they come off if you change your mind.

OP
OP
H

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I put Vinyl stripes and the sun bakes the car over time, Would it not leave residue?

I may consider taking the exhaust out and getting the Corsa's still but I will see. Not that I plan on doing any streetraces or winning competitions as long as their is usable power I would be happy. I just hate jagged dips in the power curves and if the lack of headers do not cause that and the curves are still linear than I may reconsider.

I've seen the video about maybe 20 times already since you put it up.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After 97 all Viper came with shorty headers. Long tube headers are better for hp and probably fuel mileage. They are a little louder, but Cats compensate for that. Hp is probably only about 7-12hp at your level.

Myself, I like having eveything more than a ZR1, Z06 and Gens 3 and 4 Vipers. More power, more braking and lighterweight. You know? My TPMS shows temp and pressure for each tire. I installed a Premier Bluetooth Stereo because BC made hands free a law. Funny, only 4,000,000 people in the entire province and many don't have any cellular sevice, but we need "hands free" laws?

Ted

OP
OP
H

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lol...

Fuel mileage would be nice. I will probably want you're type of speed when I am used to the car but at this point, I gotta make sure this does not turn into a money pit for me (may be too late) as the cost of ownership on houses today are so good I want to buy. I also know that investing in buying a GTS is not a bad idea but the payoff I dont know when it will come. The mods are another story.

Although I am seriously contemplating the 3.55 gears. At the cost of the headers maybe. I may just spend more for braking and suspension but I think that will be in 2011.

By the way, I know you did you're hid and read you're input. Jon B told me that there are complications that can arise (costly). Have you incurred any problems? What watts are you using?

Since I have a 2001 the manual I know states 9006 but I believe it is wrong and that the bulbs are truly 9005 with H3 foglights.

I understand that 55W HID lighting for 10,000k is the same blue tint that a 35 W 8,000k has. I was thinking of putting a 55W 10,000K low beam along with a 35W 8,000k fog light. I know you said that anything above 6000k is dark but I actually had it on my Audi & 1098 and simply love it.

I like things blue, like sapphire or blood red like Ducati

H

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought ebay HID and isntalled it in my car and WOW, Low beam was equal to highbeam!. I ordered HID for theHi beam since the stock hi beam was useless. I used the driving lights for my Cdn Daytime running lights and since they're always on, no HID for driving lights (which would need a rewire to work with the Highbeams).

The factory highbeam bulb isn't available for HID because it is the same base mount as the low beam, but the bulb itself is a different design. Use the low beam in the high as well. Jon kinda told me that he knows that some of the el-cheap-os from ebay have overheated and melted or caused fires (I don't remember the entire conversation). You should get out and check the transformers every so often and make certain that the ones YOU instal don't fail or run Hot. My HIDs are 35w. Don't need 55s

OP
OP
H

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've read that too much heat for the fog lights will crack the housing which is why I opted for a 55W low beam and a 35W fog but I may just go ahead and play it safe and run both 35W on low beam and fog at 8000k. I have yet to meet or read about anyone with 55W in the car and would hate to find out why.

Maybe 8000k for both.

So you used you're normal low beam and put them on the orange daytime running lights on the corners of the headlamp assembly? Did you need to modify anything?

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hybrid1098

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK Thank you I will take note of that and make sure to take a peek when I take it to DC. Ahh, another day closer to receiving.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery