It's getting harder to maintain my enthusiasm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just don't cancel guys. I was in your boat 2 weeks ago...about ready to cancel....and let me tell you, this car is PHENOMINAL!!! I was driving it last night and just couldn't get enough. A 5 mile drive to my sister's and back turned into 50. When I got my new Gen IV back in 2008, it was fun, but nothing like this car. There are just so many updates and changes...and that interior speaks for itself. You guys will not regret. :)

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like great fun!!!

I hope I can at least drive it in July & August...missing 1/2 of the season sux but missing all of it would blow.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know they are independently owned or owned by a "group" but there is not enough volume to support a separate SRT dealership. What owner would want to put up all of that capital if they aren't able to sell the volume to make up for the investment. I know high end exotic dealers don't sell high volume so they must make it up in margin, used cars and the high charges for service but this is still different than SRT.

If my goal was to establish and differentiate SRT as its own brand, I would incentivize dealers to make that investment in return for preferential treatment with allocations, holdback perks to boost revenues and stuff like that. I think SRT dealers themselves would need to hire and train "vehicle consultants" that aren't doing the hard sell and are focused exclusively on assisting a customer in the purchase of a SRT vehicle while also providing post-sale service to those customers. As it stands now, SRT is not its own brand, it's a small section of the showroom floor at a Dodge dealer, mixed with other non-SRT vehicles.

There is really nothing that separates SRT from Dodge as being a standalone brand...shopping for a SRT-branded vehicle should be its own unique experience. It doesn't have to be the *******, pretentious stuff you get with an import brand like Porsche; I think it should feel like you're hanging out with car guys at a high-end performance shop when shopping SRT...perhaps the set of Top Gear, and maybe designate a part of the parking lot at the dealership into a mini track. Something like that. Oh, and a section of the repair garage should be dedicated to SRT. I don't know how other guys do it, but I am going to feel really uncomfortable leaving my viper for service where it will lumped together with pickups and compact econo cars that are worth less than the Viper's paintjob.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My problem is not with the car, my problem is with the way SRT handling us right now.
I know to always expect issues but this is absolutley nothing close to the promises. I'm worried that some unworthy dealers got the car on lots already.. some Vipers are there with no one intrested in grabbing!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered mine in early November 12, just got the car today. It was worth the wait. The car is so much nicer than my '06 coupe. While it drives similar, the quality of the vehicle just seems so much better than before, especially once you guys see the interior in person and how cool the digital gauges and nav screen are. The car does a lot of fancy things with the Uconnect, such as reading your phone text messages to you. Navigation is working excellent so far, about 350 miles on the car today.

I saw a LOT of custom order cars at the plant today, they are building them at around 8-10 cars per day. I spoke with some key guys there, and they said the delays have been caused by suppliers not getting the crucial parts there on time. This is still a learning process this early in the game, and as they speed up production they also have to cross-train the workers to handle more stations and get logistics to stock more parts. The plant was beautiful and well kept, everything looked brand new. You guys will be proud to own and drive this car, just be patient and don't let threads like this just build up steam in your mind. Go take a vacation :)

Tony

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats !!! Pics... What'd you get ?

I ordered mine in early November 12, just got the car today. It was worth the wait. The car is so much nicer than my '06 coupe. While it drives similar, the quality of the vehicle just seems so much better than before, especially once you guys see the interior in person and how cool the digital gauges and nav screen are. The car does a lot of fancy things with the Uconnect, such as reading your phone text messages to you. Navigation is working excellent so far, about 350 miles on the car today.

I saw a LOT of custom order cars at the plant today, they are building them at around 8-10 cars per day. I spoke with some key guys there, and they said the delays have been caused by suppliers not getting the crucial parts there on time. This is still a learning process this early in the game, and as they speed up production they also have to cross-train the workers to handle more stations and get logistics to stock more parts. The plant was beautiful and well kept, everything looked brand new. You guys will be proud to own and drive this car, just be patient and don't let threads like this just build up steam in your mind. Go take a vacation :)

Tony

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My enthusiasm is now gone. Dealer emailed me to say he now has one available for me to "sit in". I've got too much self respect to be treated as anything less than special when buying a new car, and in this price range I demand it. When I bought my new XKR I found the one I wanted on-line, and negotiated the price on the phone with the sales manager before driving 3 hours to see it. He offered, and came in, on a Sunday when the dealership was closed when he saw that was the most convenient day in my schedule. I test drove it, and bought it. He was respectful, made the purchase easy and pleasurable, and I bet it was the easiest cash sale ever for him. Then a week later he drove an hour to pick me up at my wife's place of business to save her the time of dropping me off at the dealership to pick up the car. That car happened to list for the same as the GTS. The XKR is a fantastic car, as I'm sure the new Viper is, but that just wouldn't be enough if the manufacturer or dealer had treated me poorly.

I'll be happy to remain an "enthusiast" for a while longer, and hopefully SRT will earn my business down the road if I don't purchase something else. I completely understand that the mechanics of launching a new car involves a lot of moving parts, and I hope they get it sorted out quickly.

Rant over,

Bruce

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was hoping the "another level" Ralph was talking about is going to be similar to your experience Bruce, where dealer will pick you up and negotiate a better business price for the model of your selection since I knew higher end dealers act like this. But... is not gonna happen.
I remeber once where I flew to certain state to talk to certain dealer and told him can someone pick me up as I'm new around here and couldn't manage to rent a car.. he said what why we'll pick you up? and the deposit was with me but I couldn't continue working with him lol

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not that disappointed actually because I don't expect much out of American companies to begin with.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My fore into "Premium Automobile Dealerships" came with 2 new BMW's. Their sales people were so full of themselves I wanted to Hurl each time I went in and the only real attention I got was after I went in to look they called me almost every day until I made a purchase. Once the cars went off of warranty they ***** me for every repair. Never again...

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another level??:dunno: My dealer wont even return my phone calls!!
I was hoping the "another level" Ralph was talking about is going to be similar to your experience Bruce, where dealer will pick you up and negotiate a better business price for the model of your selection since I knew higher end dealers act like this. But... is not gonna happen.
I remeber once where I flew to certain state to talk to certain dealer and told him can someone pick me up as I'm new around here and couldn't manage to rent a car.. he said what why we'll pick you up? and the deposit was with me but I couldn't continue working with him lol

canadian venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the Hot Wheels car, SRT have been handling things poorly regarding Gen 5. It's probably a marketing dept problem....:dunno: next year there will be plenty of cars sitting in dealers lot with $20 000 rebates.....remember 2004.....

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not that disappointed actually because I don't expect much out of American companies to begin with.

That's a condemnation of the entire North American auto industry that many buyers of import cars regretfully and painfully share, and the reason many don't/won't consider buying N.A. now. Months ago I showed my wife pictures of the new Viper and she thought it looked fantastic, with the Gen 5 upgrades really appealling to both of us. Then I showed her a picture of the new Corvette and she said with a stunned look on her face "you wouldn't consider a GM, would you?". We purchased, or had supplied for business use, many Chev's in the 80's and 90's that were built and dealer serviced so poorly that we we're basically forced to switch to import brands as Ford and Chrysler shared the same poor reputation at the time.

Their reputations have all generally improved somewhat since then. But honestly, I'm surprised that a parent company with the resources of Fiat, and the bailout-funded and reborn Chrysler, couldn't figure out how to successfully bring an updated model back to market. Ralph and team must have been too focused on the return to racing, lap times at Laguna Seca with cars that weren't even adequately sorted or ready for journalist's prime time, building a 3rd model for the sake of a lower lap time, and rolling out a huge PR program with cars for everyone but their most rabid supporters and paying customers. Just a PR nightmare, but where is everybody? The lights are on but is there anybody home...does anybody care? After weeks and weeks of customers going crazy we see the top brass at a gala where they've been focused on giving away a beautiful custom designed and built Viper. Maybe they'll make an attempt to inform the little people one day...or not.

Policy Limits, I'm glad you're feeling better these days, but remember how you were miserable until recently. When you couldn't stand the delays and lack of communication anymore you self-medicated by buying a Maserati. Now you're a happy and patient Viper customer...glad you found a solution! I feel quite relieved with mine to hold off for a while to see how/if things sort out. For those that haven't...tick, tock ...

Bruce

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys have owned every generation (dating back to 94 )the 5 however is way way over my head right now (Personally I think the cars pricepoint is absurd for a Dodge )In direct relation to the thread the only analogy I can make is McDonalds is great at selling hamburgers they however don't try to sell steak guess why

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS when a buyer steps up and pays 150k for a car EVERY SINGLE ASPECT had better be equal to what its competition is offering .In 2009 I let one of the officers of the Ferrari Club of NJ test drive my Gen 4 his reaction was that's the fastest piece of plastic I ever drove

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Mcdonalds comparison is actually correct!
I'll deliver your complain to Mr. Ralph 09 Venom ;)

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol ! You sure that the salesman just didn't think that you were a local yokel pretending to having flown in then wanting a pick-up but not thinking it through enough to realize that a phone call saying that the rental car company wouldn't rent to you throws up a big warning sign of insufficient funds?

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a condemnation of the entire North American auto industry that many buyers of import cars regretfully and painfully share, and the reason many don't/won't consider buying N.A. now. Months ago I showed my wife pictures of the new Viper and she thought it looked fantastic, with the Gen 5 upgrades really appealling to both of us. Then I showed her a picture of the new Corvette and she said with a stunned look on her face "you wouldn't consider a GM, would you?". We purchased, or had supplied for business use, many Chev's in the 80's and 90's that were built and dealer serviced so poorly that we we're basically forced to switch to import brands as Ford and Chrysler shared the same poor reputation at the time.

Their reputations have all generally improved somewhat since then. But honestly, I'm surprised that a parent company with the resources of Fiat, and the bailout-funded and reborn Chrysler, couldn't figure out how to successfully bring an updated model back to market. Ralph and team must have been too focused on the return to racing, lap times at Laguna Seca with cars that weren't even adequately sorted or ready for journalist's prime time, building a 3rd model for the sake of a lower lap time, and rolling out a huge PR program with cars for everyone but their most rabid supporters and paying customers. Just a PR nightmare, but where is everybody? The lights are on but is there anybody home...does anybody care? After weeks and weeks of customers going crazy we see the top brass at a gala where they've been focused on giving away a beautiful custom designed and built Viper. Maybe they'll make an attempt to inform the little people one day...or not.

Policy Limits, I'm glad you're feeling better these days, but remember how you were miserable until recently. When you couldn't stand the delays and lack of communication anymore you self-medicated by buying a Maserati. Now you're a happy and patient Viper customer...glad you found a solution! I feel quite relieved with mine to hold off for a while to see how/if things sort out. For those that haven't...tick, tock ...

Bruce

Well the truth is I think the car will truly be awesome. That's clearly why I ordered one. But I've had the GM woes with Hummer and Corvette...and it wasn't the 80's or 90's; it was new 07 & new 08 that had electrical grounding issues, getting stuck in park etc. They seem to really overdo it with electronics. I'm hoping this experience with be much better. Already feels it in some ways. The VCA gave a warm welcome inside of 24 hours of joining and my regional president seems great; he's invited me by e-mail to what appears to be truly outstanding events and I don't even have the car yet. I've never felt that sense of community from any other brand before.

I wouldn't say I've been miserable; I just have been sympathizing with the countless number of frustrated threads and posts on here. Sure I'm guilty of contributing and self medication is ok. I've been fortunate enough to own many great toys but I haven't really purchased any to cure misery; I did it each time to feed a passion I've had since I was 16 and got my driver's license...still anxious to get this new machine and I'm getting it in addition to, not instead of, the Maserati. Since they're cousins perhaps they will compliment each other well. In the meantime, I'm pretty sure I too will be posting....tick, tock...as well;)

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS when a buyer steps up and pays 150k for a car EVERY SINGLE ASPECT had better be equal to what its competition is offering .In 2009 I let one of the officers of the Ferrari Club of NJ test drive my Gen 4 his reaction was that's the fastest piece of plastic I ever drove

I don't think this is correct. It doesn't matter whether the price is 50k, 100k 150k or even 20k. Whatever product that is offered must be competitive in various aspects. To be equal or better doesn't make any sense at all because no vehicle would sell unless they were exactly the same, or only one brand or model would sell at any given time.

In your 150k scenario, there's still a lot of choices out there, from SLS Mercedes, to Aston Martins and Porsches. You may not see the value in a Gen V Viper priced at 100-150k in 2013, but obviously others do, some of whom have come from other brands. Your circle of acquaintances may not think it is competitive but I guess time will tell if the price is too high.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol ! You sure that the salesman just didn't think that you were a local yokel pretending to having flown in then wanting a pick-up but not thinking it through enough to realize that a phone call saying that the rental car company wouldn't rent to you throws up a big warning sign of insufficient funds?
lol!
Actually I called him from my hotel which was around 30 minutes from the dealership. I tried to sense some sort of business before I'd go with a cab but figured the trip was not worth it. Did something else in my time there so.. but pretty sure prior to my trip he said "we always bring you the car you want"

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So where are all of these 150k Vipers you're talking about in EVERY SINGLE THREAD YOU'RE IN? From what I've seen the average price for a 2013 Viper is about 115-120k...

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last time I checked, the Gen 5 base MSRP is under $100K. My car, even with nice upgrades (Leather, Nav, Rear-view camera, Stoptech 2-piece brakes, upgraded wheels/tires, etc.) has an MSRP of 110K. The car is worth every cent of that. Price is not much different from the Gen 4 cars, and this is a whole lot nicer. There are zero other cars in the $90-150K range that interest me, period.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone that gets it. $110k will buy a very nice Gen V. I sure wish I had an extra $110k layin around!

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think even though the car is a masterpiece, SRT is losing sales based on smaller points that matter as much as the car itself. Although I am not in the financial position to purchase one yet, the time isn't far off. One of the huge things to me is the locked computer, but that is being discussed in another thread. The other big one is the buying experience. Too many pre buyers are being left hanging and dealers have cars sitting, backwards in my opinion. The dealers can only sell cars to people that want to buy them, the end. To me when you have left a person that is definitely buying a car out in the cold to take care of dealers, you have you marketing tactics a little upside down. Those dealers are not where your profits are, the bank account of the buyer is. The buyer should be first and foremost on the list. We should also be allowed to pick the car up at the plant and avoid the associated fees with having it sent to a dealer. These are more than cars to certain buyers and SRT should acknowledge that. This car has persisted through the years on the passion on the owners, and many of them are repeat buyers.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
troublemaker, as fantastic post as your nickname is! couldnt agree more on the upside down tactics

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So where are all of these 150k Vipers you're talking about in EVERY SINGLE THREAD YOU'RE IN? From what I've seen the average price for a 2013 Viper is about 115-120k...
REALLY lets just say iam slightly close with the guys at Buhler who happen to be one of the largest Viper Dealers in the world .Every single one of their Gen 5 ordered was MID 140 WITHOUT NJ STATE TAX .ADD THE STATE SALES TAX IN NJ YOUR CLOSER TO 160 .In NJ there is no such thing as a NON REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT .Inturn if a dealer orders a base car for a customer and there is an issue with the interior (the dealer had to floorplan the car .This is not FERRARI from a Dodge dealers standpoint the last thing they want to do is floorplan A 100k plus car

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
REALLY lets just say iam slightly close with the guys at Buhler who happen to be one of the largest Viper Dealers in the world .Every single one of their Gen 5 ordered was MID 140 WITHOUT NJ STATE TAX .ADD THE STATE SALES TAX IN NJ YOUR CLOSER TO 160 .In NJ there is no such thing as a NON REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT .Inturn if a dealer orders a base car for a customer and there is an issue with the interior (the dealer had to floorplan the car .This is not FERRARI from a Dodge dealers standpoint the last thing they want to do is floorplan A 100k plus car

Just because they ordered all of their cars with upgraded interiors, etc. doesn't mean everybody is. Look at Woodhouse and Tomball, etc. The average MSRP of the cars they're selling is not 150k, I can tell you that for sure.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just because they ordered all of their cars with upgraded interiors, etc. doesn't mean everybody is. Look at Woodhouse and Tomball, etc. The average MSRP of the cars they're selling is not 150k, I can tell you that for sure.
The rationale is this the Gen 4 stickered at over 90k AND SOLD TERRIBLY (the 4s interior was a joke for a 90k ca) If a dealer orders a base interior on the 5 plus stripes the cars still going to be near 110 WITHOUT STATE SALES TAX. In NJ WE are AT 7% so the customers STILL going to be north of 120k .At north of 120k that dealer had better pray that base interior is MUCH BETTER THAN THE 4S INTERIOR or the car will not sell that's why they forgo the base interior

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if someone really wants the car, they'll pay 25k over sticker or more to have it and to have it now. I have a friend who just payed IN JUICE on an aventador the entire value of a base gen v lol

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh I got mine GTS at MSRP. My friend who built the aventador is already in the process and should have delivery soon. Verde Ithica coupe, black interior with green piping & stitching...its a house!

Status
Not open for further replies.