It's getting harder to maintain my enthusiasm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you can really compare the experience with SRT to a luxury brand like Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, etc. or even exotics like Ferrari. If you do of course you are going to be disappointed as all of of these are in a higher tier. I would probably compare the experience to buying a GTR from a Nissan dealer. It is a $100k+ car being sold at a dealer where there is also a sub $20k car. You ever try test driving a new GTR at a dealer? Good luck as most will not let you test drive them just like most dealers will not let you test drive the Viper. I'm sure the service is probably similar to SRT as well but that is not why you buy the car. These cars perform and that is what you are buying them for, not the free crepes and mocha lattes at the dealer where Wolfgang Puck is behind the counter. If SRT had their own dealers then I would expect a different experience similar to a Lexus experience but as of now they do not.

As for special ordering, I have only once special ordered a car which was a Lexus a couple years ago and even though it was a new model year truck, nothing changed from the prior year and it was still a month late and I never knew when I was going to get the car until it was at the port. Not trying to compare this experience with SRT but just trying to say try and be patient, it will likely be well worth the wait.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never thought I'd have to make an appointment to see a Dodge...now I know. Why was your experience so bad at Spring?

I understand, but I think it is smart on their part, Joe Public doesn't respect the cars like we do.

Some years ago Spring tried to bait and switch me on a daily driver I was trying to purchase, they wouldn't make good on an ad they published when we got close to closing a deal. Looked at buying my first Viper there after that, their salesperson at the time knew nothing about them. Hopefully things have improved since then, I haven't been back since.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's nice to be coddled but in reallity you're just getting kissed before you're getting F... well you know:lmao: I didn't see any change in Ford dealerships for the FGT:dunno: Pretentious BS makes me want to hurl... That's one of the reasons I drive a Viper...

FGT was a 4000 cars and done. Even then they had a hard time moving them. I think there's a big jump from having a better than average dealership to 'pretentious BS'.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you can really compare the experience with SRT to a luxury brand like Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, etc. or even exotics like Ferrari. If you do of course you are going to be disappointed as all of of these are in a higher tier. I would probably compare the experience to buying a GTR from a Nissan dealer. It is a $100k+ car being sold at a dealer where there is also a sub $20k car. You ever try test driving a new GTR at a dealer? Good luck as most will not let you test drive them just like most dealers will not let you test drive the Viper. I'm sure the service is probably similar to SRT as well but that is not why you buy the car. These cars perform and that is what you are buying them for, not the free crepes and mocha lattes at the dealer where Wolfgang Puck is behind the counter. If SRT had their own dealers then I would expect a different experience similar to a Lexus experience but as of now they do not.

As for special ordering, I have only once special ordered a car which was a Lexus a couple years ago and even though it was a new model year truck, nothing changed from the prior year and it was still a month late and I never knew when I was going to get the car until it was at the port. Not trying to compare this experience with SRT but just trying to say try and be patient, it will likely be well worth the wait.

The problem is, SRT wants to play in the big boys club, Ralph said so himself with the "new class of buyer" comment that had everyone in a tizzy. GM is targeting the Porsche experience with the C7, of which they will end up with the same result as SRT.

It doesn't have a whole lot to do with free crepes and sodas, it has more to do with how the customer is treated overall. My experience looking at Porsches this weekend was fantastic.

But, when looking at a Corvette at Chevy, a GT-R at Nissan, a Viper at Dodge, you are getting sold a car by people who are used to selling lower end cars. They want you to "prequalify" in order to look at them. Sorry, that is preposterous. Porsche begged me to drive their cars this weekend, to which I declined. (And I don't mean to bemoan those buying lower end cars, that isn't my point, when you are buying expensive toys, you should be treated like someone buying an expensive toy).

If they aren't going to let you sit in the vehicles, what is the point of having a dealer network? If this is the case, SRT should be selling the Viper like Tesla. I mean, I like Tomball and Woodhouse, but if you are ordering without even seeing one, what value does the dealer add to earn that money over invoice? (Yes, this is more of a philosophical question). The more I think about it the more I think this is the direction SRT should have gone. If you don't trust your overall dealer network, outside the big Viper dealers, to do a good job, get rid of them.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I guess I'm in the minority, because I have not had any of these problems. I did walk away from the first dealership that I asked about ordering a Viper from. The next one was a winner, top notch in every respect.

My one and only issue I have is that my car is late being built. Well I guess I've been around the block enough times to know that getting the first model year of an all new limited production car carries with it risks, one of which is late delivery. Of course I want it now, but I'm realistic. I knew this could and probably would happen.

I won't criticize anyone who cancels their order, I can understand. But I've been waiting literally decades for this car. I can wait a month or two more.

Last edited:

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO, two things will solve all these problems: getting cars into the hands of owners and getting the dealer shake out completed.

For the first, the production process needs stabilizing. For the second, I suggest that if you see a price tag with dealer adjustment, copy the number, tell the dealer to call when ready to talk about list price, when he does and then offer him that less the ajustment he first put on the car. Hopefully that will convince him not to mess with Viper owners or potential opwners. :2tu:

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the car is exciting enough to wait for. the launch and SRT red ones I saw in person had great stance/presence. really excited to drive one though. anxiously waiting to introduce her to her cousin!!

Tick tock.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way I'd have cancelled my order, even if it took a year. I waited since November, and I have other toys to drive anyways. Am I pleased about the ordering experience, yes and no. The dealership (Tomball/ViperExchange) has been excellent to work with. The lack of communication or reasons from SRT on why the delays were occurring were a major disappointment. It seemed every month they added another month to the target delivery date, but never really said why. The silence is terrible for those who have put deposits down. I'd suggest SRT/CAAP hires or appoints a spokesman to monitor this VCA website and interact with the customers more. That would have relieved a LOT of the stress/anxiety/anger about this purchase.

Tony

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pretty sure they troll here....perhaps what they learn will benefit future generations of the brand.

BlueLIGHTNING

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well didn't want to get on a waiting list and bought an old clunker GTS. Couldn't be happier and still on the fence about the looks of a new one, eventually there will be lots of slightly used 2013's out there in the used market. That's the way I see it.

JLorello

Viper Owner
Reaction score
pretty sure they troll here....perhaps what they learn will benefit future generations of the brand.

I bet a six pack any day of the week and twice on Sundays that they do. I bet even Ralph lurks around here from time to time (not signed into a name, of course). This is the most organized place of not only enthusiasts, but past, present, and future owners of their product anywhere in the world. I think it would be silly for them NOT to be soaking up our information.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buying a Viper is different than say buying a Mercedes. I purchased my Viper at a small dealership outside of Kansas City that at that time sold a lot of Vipers, mainly on-line. I visited the dealer once since I don't live there just to sit in a Viper. When I picked up the Viper I think I was treated a little differently than the normal buyer. I remember after doing all the paperwork and going out to drive the car away, the dealership owner had to tell a guy in overalls to get his foot off the carbon fiber aero treatment on the front (LOL).

Now, when we bought my wife's Mercedes SL550 that was a different buying experience and continues to be. They handwash it for her anytime she wants to drop by. And the waiting area is an experience in itself, coffee, juices, soft drinks, snacks, etc. They make sure you are comfortable if you are waiting and you get personal follow-up from the sales rep even long after the sale. Plus the maintenance department is not something I would ever have imagined - sparkly clean garage area, nothing out of place, etc. On the other hand the Dodge dealer I take my Viper to is a "garage" type maintenance operation.

It is different at the Mercedes dealership and I'm sure most other high end German and other European dealers treat their customers like at the MB dealer here.

We can't expect the same treatment though at an SRT dealer since a Viper is their only high end car. They can't invest in the same type of architecture and customer service especially when they sell only a few Vipers each year.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buying a Viper is different than say buying a Mercedes. I purchased my Viper at a small dealership outside of Kansas City that at that time sold a lot of Vipers, mainly on-line. I visited the dealer once since I don't live there just to sit in a Viper. When I picked up the Viper I think I was treated a little differently than the normal buyer. I remember after doing all the paperwork and going out to drive the car away, the dealership owner had to tell a guy in overalls to get his foot off the carbon fiber aero treatment on the front (LOL).

Now, when we bought my wife's Mercedes SL550 that was a different buying experience and continues to be. They handwash it for her anytime she wants to drop by. And the waiting area is an experience in itself, coffee, juices, soft drinks, snacks, etc. They make sure you are comfortable if you are waiting and you get personal follow-up from the sales rep even long after the sale. Plus the maintenance department is not something I would ever have imagined - sparkly clean garage area, nothing out of place, etc. On the other hand the Dodge dealer I take my Viper to is a "garage" type maintenance operation.

It is different at the Mercedes dealership and I'm sure most other high end German and other European dealers treat their customers like at the MB dealer here.

We can't expect the same treatment though at an SRT dealer since a Viper is their only high end car. They can't invest in the same type of architecture and customer service especially when they sell only a few Vipers each year.

The 2013 SRT brochure shows me SRT8 Challenger, SRT8 Charger, SRT8 300, SRT8 Grand Cherokee, SRT10 Viper. SRT's lowest priced car is $45k, while a Mercedes C-Class starts at $38k. Doesn't even count the A, B or CLA classes which are supposed to be less than the C-Class. Chrysler has to decide where those SRT8's are all supposed to go in the grand scheme of things.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2013 SRT brochure shows me SRT8 Challenger, SRT8 Charger, SRT8 300, SRT8 Grand Cherokee, SRT10 Viper. SRT's lowest priced car is $45k, while a Mercedes C-Class starts at $38k. Doesn't even count the A, B or CLA classes which are supposed to be less than the C-Class. Chrysler has to decide where those SRT8's are all supposed to go in the grand scheme of things.

As long as they are sold at a Dodge/Chrysler dealership, they are still a Dodge. The whole "Ram" and "SRT" stuff is silly semantics, since neither of them have their own dealership network. You don't find Porsche's new at a Volkswagen dealership, nor do you find new Ferrari's at a Fiat dealership. Pretty sure Lexus aren't sold at the regular Toyota dealership, either.

I expect Dodge level service, and fully accept that fact when purchasing a Dodge. Some dealers are better than others.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way I'd have cancelled my order, even if it took a year. I waited since November, and I have other toys to drive anyways. Am I pleased about the ordering experience, yes and no. The dealership (Tomball/ViperExchange) has been excellent to work with. The lack of communication or reasons from SRT on why the delays were occurring were a major disappointment. It seemed every month they added another month to the target delivery date, but never really said why. The silence is terrible for those who have put deposits down. I'd suggest SRT/CAAP hires or appoints a spokesman to monitor this VCA website and interact with the customers more. That would have relieved a LOT of the stress/anxiety/anger about this purchase.

Tony

Graham is on here quite often, and he runs the Viper program, so he would probably be the one who could get things done on the SRT end....

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just imagine if all Lexus sold was the LFA - you wouldn't have Lexus dealers so it would be sold at Toyota dealerships!

I went to a Nissan dealership that sold GTRs and found the doors locked. Salespeople were not allowed to open them. I asked for the sales manager and was able to get him to open one up for me and allow me to sit in it after some debate and indignation. They don't like the average Joe planting his butt in their precious GTR.

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even McLaren P1 customers have to wait - their 2013's will be delivered in October. This is truely a world class experience you are getting with SRT :) I kid, I kid.

"For all others only willing to foot the $1.15 mil, probably October. In its 2013 launch year, production will be upped ahead of time to assure more customers get their P1s as soon as possible"
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/22/mclaren-p1-guru-spills-more-info-on-his-hypercar/

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score

All of the SRT cars are niche cars/trucks whereas the tier 1 brands sell a ton of volume on most of their cars with the exception of their niche cars (AMG, F, M, etc.). SRT doesn't have the volume to have separate dealerships for just SRT products. However, I think they could have a separate SRT section/building at certain dealers that caters just towards their SRT customers similar to Magnolia Design Centers (not the regular Magnolia section) in certain Best Buys that sell high end 800 series B&W speakers where the people working there actually know what they are talking about. Maybe that would work?

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of the SRT cars are niche cars/trucks whereas the tier 1 brands sell a ton of volume on most of their cars with the exception of their niche cars (AMG, F, M, etc.). SRT doesn't have the volume to have separate dealerships for just SRT products. However, I think they could have a separate SRT section/building at certain dealers that caters just towards their SRT customers similar to Magnolia Design Centers (not the regular Magnolia section) in certain Best Buys that sell high end 800 series B&W speakers where the people working there actually know what they are talking about. Maybe that would work?

I've thought of this as well over the last couple of months. I'll go into a Chrysler dealer, ask about SRTs, and they don't sound confident in their knowledge at all. Each dealer should have an SRT specilized salesman maybe. I'll sign up for my local dealer :)

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm surprised to see that 197 out of the 338 built are showing up on Autotrader right now.

Last edited:

SLViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm surprised to see that 197 out of the 338 built are showing up on Autotrader right now.

Dealers with PICs of actual delivered cars is more like 25 of the 338, the rest are "stock Pics" or "in transit" cars yet to be received.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just checked auto trader. lots of andrenaline over sepia for low 130's that are sharp and available for immediate delivery and there's a great looking GTS Blue listed in only the 120's way below MSRP....now I really understand the frustration of waiting when hundreds of these things are on dealer showrooms..is 338 the number of builds to date for sure? does that include launch & dealer reds?

Wonder how many customs have been built? I phoned SRT and they said 6/12 is now my est delivery date...but VOTS still says "Production Scheduled" and next week is June.....tick tock, grain of salt, getting old.....

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nobody got a new Viper for 2 whole model years and there are cars available now if you are OK with a spec car. Guys who ordered should be a little patient to get their custom order cars because it will be worth the wait. SRT is accountable to dealeras and buyers alike so hang in there...

Last edited:

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Car dealers are independently owned and operated - the dealer is the one who would have to put up the capital to open an SRT dealership so it could very well be done. SRT probably should have their SRT dealers start branching out if they are serious about having SRT be its own brand.

strykergts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read a few posts, and felt obligated to respond due to my experience. I think a comparison to BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes is more than accurate. In 09 when the wife wanted an X5M, I had to take what was on the floor as no one could order one nor could give us a build date of when we could. This year, we decided we needed a little more room so we ordered a GL63, and this time the dealer was more than happy to accept a deposit back in January for a delivery date in May/June. In late April, we finally got an update that they had secured a build spot in late July, and we got bumped from MY 2013 to 2014. Not that it matters in my situation, because the wife loves speed as much as I do, but has to haul the munchkins everywhere.

I guess the moral of the story is these things happen. On a hand built car delays should be expected. After all, it's not a Corvette ;)

patgilm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car dealers are independently owned and operated - the dealer is the one who would have to put up the capital to open an SRT dealership so it could very well be done. SRT probably should have their SRT dealers start branching out if they are serious about having SRT be its own brand.

I know they are independently owned or owned by a "group" but there is not enough volume to support a separate SRT dealership. What owner would want to put up all of that capital if they aren't able to sell the volume to make up for the investment. I know high end exotic dealers don't sell high volume so they must make it up in margin, used cars and the high charges for service but this is still different than SRT.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not to add insult to injury but I have been in 'final inspection' for 2 full weeks and no one can even give me an estimated delivery date!!! f'n still!!! this whole ordering experience has been horrible!
just checked auto trader. lots of andrenaline over sepia for low 130's that are sharp and available for immediate delivery and there's a great looking GTS Blue listed in only the 120's way below MSRP....now I really understand the frustration of waiting when hundreds of these things are on dealer showrooms..is 338 the number of builds to date for sure? does that include launch & dealer reds?

Wonder how many customs have been built? I phoned SRT and they said 6/12 is now my est delivery date...but VOTS still says "Production Scheduled" and next week is June.....tick tock, grain of salt, getting old.....

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
look at the bright side: A six figure amount is sitting in our accounts earning interest this way instaed of going out the window to depreciate daily in the opposite direction:rolleyes:

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those waiting don't cancel....10 years from now you'll be kicking yourselves.

I still think the car is worth the wait...even though we all know it could have been handled better.

Hopefully they don't come out with an ACR otherwise I might just have to get on the list too :usa::usa:

Cheers,
George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth