Let's be real, what would it take? Only short answers please

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Viper may be the best looking Gen 5 I've seen (ok, I'm partial to white). Do you have any pics of the front. Maybe the stupid, blacked out grille would look ok on this color combo.

I'll second that request, White with Black Stripes, with carbon aero, FTW. I can't tell if it has the black wheels, but I think that would tie it all together. Bad ass.

Regarding searching for a Viper, yep it's a pain in the ass. I've had good luck with Cars.com and Autrader, but even then it won't catch all of the Vipers.

It's kind of like chasing after a really hot woman. She may be hard to get, but once you finally get her, it was all worth it LOL

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That Viper may be the best looking Gen 5 I've seen (ok, I'm partial to white). Do you have any pics of the front. Maybe the stupid, blacked out grille would look ok on this color combo.

Sure, here are other pics I took that night.

You must be registered for see images attach

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is one good looking Viper for sure. Which dealer is it at? I could not find it through drivesrt.com. By the way, I've just told SRT about the difficulty in finding Vipers on their and their dealers' sites. PM me the details. It is actually the 1st Gen 5 I would consider buying.

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The viper need two things to beat the competition and sell.

1) Smaller, High compression + Direct injection and tunable V10 D.O.H.C. ( say good bye to pushrods ) around 7.5L - 8.0L making 750HP. It will pass emissions just fine. All the other car brands in the world have high efficient D.O.H.C. and are moving FORWARD. It is Only SRT and Chevrolet owners that have feelings for this pushrod nostalgia CRAP that is not taking them anywhere but BACKwards and to lose races.
8.4L pushrod engine doesnot mean crap anymore today. My DOHC 5 liter mustang with a cheap turbo kit running only 5 psi Annihilates my acr 8.4 and its only a 302 V8. Ford did their homework with the coyote motor and I am proud to be a ford owner and enthusiast. I am going faster than any viper or exotic out there for a lot cheaper.

2) Please SRT, if mustangs and camaros have options for automatics, offer the same for a viper with or 8spd that is being offered in the RAM and JEEP. Also offer the DCT if possible and if not too much to ask Fiat for that... Leave the standard transmission as the 2nd or third option because the car is not selling well with that transmission as we all know.

The car is beautiful from the outside but when the hood is up you see something that just does not belong there and is rated at only 640hp and does not even rev close to 7000rpm...
The rev capabilities of this present viper engine are more associated with DIESEL vehicles than with any sports car out there and that is just pathetic and an epic failure caused by the
awful pushrod design that just does not work well anymore for this car.
Gosh my 28K mustang can be reved to 8000 RPM if I want to, while my ACR runs out of steam at 6000rpm! That is HUGE IN RACING if you ask me.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh oh this thread is headed south and quickly.
Can it be saved? He's baaaaaaaaack, lol

Last edited:

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Uh oh this thread is headed south and quickly.
Can it be saved? He's baaaaaaaaack, lol

Wow,
How is your slow, overpriced GEN V doing? And your other transformers car? How many times did you watch the movie before making up your mind to buy the SLOWMARO pushrodzz? Man.... isn't that big, heavy thing ugly? I watched the movie to but only to see the beautiful Meaghan Fox in action as she is faster running than that Chebby car. LMAO
I wouldn't be laughing if I were you... The only thing heading south is the viper unfortunately...:(

Last edited:

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The viper need two things to beat the competition and sell.

1) Smaller, High compression + Direct injection and tunable V10 D.O.H.C. ( say good bye to pushrods ) around 7.5L - 8.0L making 750HP. It will pass emissions just fine. All the other car brands in the world have high efficient D.O.H.C. and are moving FORWARD. It is Only SRT and Chevrolet owners that have feelings for this pushrod nostalgia CRAP that is not taking them anywhere but BACKwards and to lose races.
8.4L pushrod engine doesnot mean crap anymore today. My DOHC 5 liter mustang with a cheap turbo kit running only 5 psi Annihilates my acr 8.4 and its only a 302 V8. Ford did their homework with the coyote motor and I am proud to be a ford owner and enthusiast. I am going faster than any viper or exotic out there for a lot cheaper.

2) Please SRT, if mustangs and camaros have options for automatics, offer the same for a viper with or 8spd that is being offered in the RAM and JEEP. Also offer the DCT if possible and if not too much to ask Fiat for that... Leave the standard transmission as the 2nd or third option because the car is not selling well with that transmission as we all know.

The car is beautiful from the outside but when the hood is up you see something that just does not belong there and is rated at only 640hp and does not even rev close to 7000rpm...
The rev capabilities of this present viper engine are more associated with DIESEL vehicles than with any sports car out there and that is just pathetic and an epic failure caused by the
awful pushrod design that just does not work well anymore for this car.
Gosh my 28K mustang can be reved to 8000 RPM if I want to, while my ACR runs out of steam at 6000rpm! That is HUGE IN RACING if you ask me.

50% decent content, but then it gets lost in all the garbage when you mention mustang, Diesel, DOHC, and you instantly lose all credibility. All good to be a ford owner and enthusiast, but hopefully you own their best product (a pickup) and don't bank it to you modded stang... Come on now, just try to bring a completely constructive comment to the discussion without the bashing.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The viper need two things to beat the competition and sell.1) Smaller, High compression + Direct injection and tunable V10 D.O.H.C. ( say good bye to pushrods ) around 7.5L - 8.0L making 750HP. It will pass emissions just fine. All the other car brands in the world have high efficient D.O.H.C. and are moving FORWARD. It is Only SRT and Chevrolet owners that have feelings for this pushrod nostalgia CRAP that is not taking them anywhere but BACKwards and to lose races. 8.4L pushrod engine does not mean crap anymore today. My DOHC 5 liter mustang with a cheap turbo kit running only 5 psi Annihilates my acr 8.4 and its only a 302 V8. Ford did their homework with the coyote motor and I am proud to be a ford owner and enthusiast. I am going faster than any viper or exotic out there for a lot cheaper. 2) Please SRT, if mustangs and camaros have options for automatics, offer the same for a viper with or 8spd that is being offered in the RAM and JEEP. Also offer the DCT if possible and if not too much to ask Fiat for that... Leave the standard transmission as the 2nd or third option because the car is not selling well with that transmission as we all know.The car is beautiful from the outside but when the hood is up you see something that just does not belong there and is rated at only 640hp and does not even rev close to 7000rpm... The rev capabilities of this present viper engine are more associated with DIESEL vehicles than with any sports car out there and that is just pathetic and an epic failure caused by the awful pushrod design that just does not work well anymore for this car. Gosh my 28K mustang can be reved to 8000 RPM if I want to, while my ACR runs out of steam at 6000rpm! That is HUGE IN RACING if you ask me.
Given the same size a DOHC configuration would weigh more and that weight would be carried up high in the motor which isn't a good thing for handling. The Viper's pushrod 8.4L is more compact, weighs less, and more importantly delivers torque down low, nearly 80% of its 600 lb ft torque is available at under 2000 rpm, what DOHC delivers such performance? Also, if someone is seeking to reach that 700hp level, long tube Tri-Y headers should get you right about there. Life is good.

Derek Short

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car is fine. If they want it to sell more (read: attract NEW customers and not existing/previous viper owners) they have to advertise more aggressively in the appropriate venues.

Also, totally disagree with the "It looks like a Gen 2 so it looks old" sentiment. The Gen 2 and now improved Gen 5 styling is timeless. It will look as awesome in 10-20 years as it does now. The C7 may have a "bold new design" but that look will not stand the test of time and it's ugly to begin with.

I agree. The biggest thing I see it missing is unlock PCM. To attract new owners they are going I want to know they can mod or upgrade it.
Also paddles, they need to be an option. Everyone else has them....
And a handful of other small things. But those are the main 2 if they want to move it off the lot. Besides the price being a bit high. Fully optioned need to max around 130k

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please unlock the ECU add turbos then some better rods/pistons and let us run with it. A twin turbo viper would sell like mad. Make it a retrofit "upgrade" for the non-turbo cars. I'm sure at 5psi of boost it would pass emissions and make an easy 800bhp (typical is 30rwhp/psi or 34bhp/psi). 640 + (34*5) = 810bhp. Just call it 750hp with a wink and nod. When a 750bhp vette comes out, add a little more boost to 10psi and have 980bhp but again wink and nod and call it 900bhp. The Viper has the bigger motor so it can always win in the power war with a bit of boost. It's not a big deal anymore to run upto 15-16psi on 91 pump gas.

The Viper has always keept about 100bhp more than the most powerful vette. Keep it that way. Don't be a pansy with +2bhp. The Viper has always been about big power/torque.

c5 ZO6. 385-405. Gen2 450-460
C6 ZO6 505. Gen4 600.
C6 ZR1 638. Gen5 640

PJ9454

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wouldve bought one in a second if it didnt have that Gawd Awful front end. 3/4 of that car is awesome. The nose is horrendous. My 2010 ACR I bought new is still a beauty as was my GTS. This new car is just fugly. Fix that and I am in.

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unlocking the PCM sounds trivial but I don't think it is. What it does is to allow the owner to make choices for aftermarket mods and that is a huge appeal to people who aren't wanting to garage the car but rather personalize it and drive the heck out of it. Having said that, I love my V. When I want to get down and dirty I grab the keys to the ACR II which has been heavily modified. Not everyone has that option... SRT, provide the code and sell a few more cars. Prove that you are behind your car and their owners when it comes to personalization and performance beyond what you you delivered to them in stock form.

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, I think letting people drive them. You get butts in seats, the car will get sold. It is just that good.
Drove the car recently and was disappointed. Nice interior but the drive was not very exciting and I have owned 3 other Vipers. Also the door sills were very warm to the touch. Thought they fixed that?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just as it is with a lightning shift trans to match a GTR, the G5 would shave seconds off the "Ring" lap times and make it a genuine 10 second car off the showroom floor. The other things like more power and tuning are all available in the aftermarket.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If the car had more power, better brakes and a paddle shift transmission at a price that would allow current owners to move up. It would be golden. I have had numerous owners that have stepped into the new Viper every generation, but gawked when they would have to come up with 70-90 grand to sell their current car and get into the new car when it was only slightly better.

Endeka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's biggest problem is how good the Viper engineers did in past years. The G5 kicks butt, but does it kick butt 4 times asmuch as a 2002 GTS? How about twice as much as a 2008 coupe? The new Viper either needed to be a quantum leap, or needed to be priced at $80-90k to directly steal sales from the older models.

viper vince

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you Endeka. I hope they get it stuck in their butt they should have never made it in the first place!

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Minimum 735 hp
Off road PCM with ability to calibrate offered by MOPAR
True forged internals with no more than 9.5:1 compression
SMG or automatic option