Letting an interested buyer drive your car

CDNASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bot an FE in 2009, flew from Toronto to Kansas, Seller fully understood and comprehended the importance of myself or my Viper technician (thanks to Jerry Dobson) driving the car before buying. Via discussions the seller and buyer garnered mutual respect for each other. Seller had my money order, but our agreement (invoice) was subject to the technician or myself driving the car with a physical inspection also. In a standard Viper transaction the parties will generally be professional parties, thats what i think you should expect. To purchase a Viper or any other high end vehicle without driving it or having an expert look at it and drive it is simply poor judgement

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It depends. Stockers are OK to drive. Most base Paxton cars are safe to drive as well. As long as they don't drop the clutch or turn on the Nitrous Oxide.

Having driven many 9 and 10 second cars only my Roe Vipers were challenging to drive. With new tires the Paxton drives well and I think that the car outperforms what most drivers will attempt as long as you point out to them dust etc. on the road surface.

'Course I flew to Chicago, drove to Pekin Ill., then to Ringgold, Georgia and drove 3 Vipers. 1st Viper I didn't drive until I drove all the way back from Georgia after agreeing to buy the car (subject to a road test). Previous owner drove the car, warmed it up, put some miles on it, did a small burnout and 'tested' a few corners to show me what the car drove like. Then I drove it back to his house. Not being used to the higher gears or 'feel' of the car I shifted into 3rd on the freeway entrance, little drift - but as I came out of the corner I passed a Cop driving down the freeway at the speedlimit - I was going 90mph. He left us alone, the car drove nicely and I bought it then drove it cross-continent back to BC in February (Challenging). My second Viper was a 10# Roe with PS1s. I would have preferred that the previous owner drove it first, but he just tossed me the keys and we were off. Base Paxton cars drive nicely and don't have too many traction issues and linear hp so they are OK to drive if the purchaser has some experience.

I was going to buy a Venom550R and the owner had just installed a new $30,000 SVS engine. He went on and on about how he wanted to see a racing driver's license or he wouldn't sell the car, I wouldn't be able to handle the horsepower without lessons first, etc etc. He was a weirdo and forgot to ask what hp level I was comfortable with (my 98 GTS was 600/644) and he sounded like an idiot. The car wouldn't idle once warmed up and SVS refused to make the car run. Eventually he increased the price and got even stupider so I declined that car and bought my 720rwhp Sapphire GTS.

Use YOUR judgement. Kids can be dangerous. You car being stock, you should drive. That should be enough for him to know that the car drives without issues or problems. You car being so new he shouldn't need to drive it unless he is just "shopping".

Ted

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove both the cars I bought, but always asked the owner to drive them first. From a technical seat of the pants as well as instrumentation sense, I'd rather be the passenger so I can analyze what's going on with the car. Once that's over, then I would like to drive it. Watching an owner drive first will tell you quite a bit, how the car was treated.

usurbrain

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Greg,
Thanks for letting me drive your car and jumping through hoops to have it inspected before I bought. With that said... I would never spend that much on a car, and not have a formal inspection (compression, & a leakdown if necessary), and not get a test drive in a used car. I had a roomate who let me drive his ROE 96 GTS around, and it's driveability was very bad down low. WOT was great, and very fast. As I remember, faster than this car that I bought down low. Up top is a different story.

Either way, if I ever sell this to get a Gen4, I will make sure I have cash in hand before I let anyone test drive. I showed my bank account to verify funds were there. If I crash, I'd have paid up.

Once again, Greg, thanks for the trust and overall good experience in buying a car from a VCA member. Now... whoever isn't letting him test drive his 80k car, freaken let him. He wants to buy another Viper, and it will be his 4th!!!! A stock Gen4 is slower than what he sold me....

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I test drove my Viper by myself in the rain;). Also test rode a new Ducati 1098S last year. Maybe it has to do with my ripe age that these guys let me ? :rolaugh:

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to admit to not having seen my car (except in pictures) until it backed out of the trailer hauling it from Texas. Wish I could have flown down and drove it home.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This driving the car "before" purchase was a bone of contention with me when I bought my current Viper. I had looked at 3 Vipers each at different dealers around the Toronto area, who did let me drive the Viper, with them in it of course- no problem. I then came across the car I really wanted which was near Quebec. At the time, talking to the sales agent on the phone, he said he would open up shop on a Sunday to take me for a tour and test drive. So I hiked up a good distance, met the sales rep. and then he seemed to get nervous and told me that the car had a dead battery. I said "thats ockay" because it was the OTHER Viper I had come to see. It was obvious he was expecting someone older showing up (although I'm not young either) He went on and on about insurance and they weren't officially open, blah, blah, blah. Even after explaining to him I was serious and had owned many high power cars prior, and had driven a couple of Gen II Vipers he wasn't going to let me drive it so I said I would get back to him. I had an ethical dilemma for a couple of days. I was NOT going to buy the car based on the simple fact that he would not let me drive it - I mean how could I compare the Gen III to the Gen II without driving one? I understand his hesitation, but honestly, if a car is used and the driver has previous experience, you should have the right to drive it if you are dead serious. I was going to buy the second choice car in Toronto plainly based on this situation alone. But I finally bought the one near Quebec because it was really the car I wanted. I was ready to bury this hatchet - after all, the owner of the Viper or dealer do have right of refusal, even if it means losing a potential buyer. But what still leaves a bad taste in my mouth was that after finally purchasing this car, with the deal done, they (the dealer) suddenly had no problem letting the detail kid drive it, the theft etching shop drive it, and god knows how many others until I finally came to pick it up.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was a buyer like yours, traveled from houston to florida to buy

the way we did it was to complete the sale, and then after driving it (without damage implied) if i found a problem he would refund money

there was a level of trust for sure

This (above) is the ONLY way to do it. If you don't have the money in hand and he wrecks it, do you think he will follow through with the sale? Not a chance. That is, if he survives the wreck.

Ron

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So a question for the guys who said no, you would buy a car for 80 without driving it?

I bought my 09 ACR without driving it, the dealer would not let me test drive even though I currently owned 2 Vipers. If everyone else I have bought Vipers from (including dealers) will not let me test drive, I wouldn't feel comfortable letting anyone test drive mine and take on that responsibility.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I would tell them, that for the price of the car, they can take it for a test drive. Non refundable of course. Sorry, Just too big a chance they'll wreck it!!

V

Venomiss

As the wife of the PRES, why are you lying. Last time I drove your car I was stopped by the POPO doing 106 Remember now. :drive:

Who else would not have a license on them and not get a ticket in a Viper that was not theirs? You can drive our car anytime.:D

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me, it mostly depends on the level of trust in the person.
I determine the level of trust by knowing previous car experience and my instinct.
Also: Road Conditions, Traffic, ect... could play a role.

IF i had enough trust in the person i would still tell them that they have to keep it under 50% throttle and drive it like a "normal car".
Then i would switch with them and let the beast out of the cage to show them what she's capable of to close the sale.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So a question for the guys who said no, you would buy a car for 80 without driving it?

I paid a little over 50 for mine and all I did was sit in it and hear the engine run in the showroom before handing them a check. When I drove it off their lot that is the first time I had ever ridden in let alone driven a Viper.

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I'm in the minority. I wouldn't buy anything (new or used) without driving it first. When I went to look my Viper, all it took was letting the dealership photocopy my driver's license and insurance card. The dealer didn't even come with me. It helped that Jerry Dobson told the guy that I was no stranger to high horsepower cars and that his car would be safe with me. But the test drive is what sold me on the car!

Until I drove the thing, I didn't know exactly how much I wanted one. After a 15 minute drive, I had to have it. Drove straight back to the dealership and signed the paperwork.

I don't think I could ever buy anything (TV, chair, car, motorcycle, etc) without testing it out first. If I flew half way across the country with a cashier's check in my pocket (after selling my 660 rwhp Viper) and someone wouldn't let me drive their stock Viper before I hand them my $80k, I'd be a little peeved. But that's just me.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have purchased all of my Vipers without driving them. I would give the buyer a ride so he can feel the car but until there is some form of commitment, no drivers seat.

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have more to the story coming, alot more just wanted to get everyones thoughts. Personally I agree the owner has the right to refuse, I have no issue with that and the buyer has a right to walk. Again there is more, you guys are going to love it but I have to wait a few days.

Last edited:

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I passed on the first Viper I test drove, mainly due to the hard pulling to the right. After flying to Florida, I test drove my second Viper and then made the purchase. I know everyone is different, but if it's my money, no matter what the cost is, I'm going to test drive a vehicle if the seller is serious about the sell. Forget about giving somone 50% before they can test drive a car. What happens if you're the one paying and decide after the test drive it's not the car you want? There's no stopping the seller from keeping that 50% for a while. There's just as many dishonest sellers as there are buyers. :(

TheMilkman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased my Viper site unseen from a dealer on the internet. My brother held onto the car, as it was a Dec31st type deal and getting a Viper back to Colorado in January is a nightmare waiting to happen.

I waited until April to send an old college roommate to drive the car back.

Luckily it made it in one piece. I later found out that my brother was 1 point away from loosing his license due to a few weekend spins and my buddy got a ticket 105 in a 60. :nono:

I can totally understand about not letting someone drive the car. But I would be worried to not be able to drive the car around a bit if it were used and I was going to drop big money. You can't feel if there is an alignment issue or strange clutch if you don't drive it yourself.

I had thought if I was to let a potential buyer test drive, or let my wife "try" the car out, it would be in a nice big empty parking lot. You can get a feel for the car, and I the owner can feel a little safer the driver isn't going to spin it off into the trees or into traffic.

usurbrain

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like your signature.. this should be amusing... :)

I bought two cars through forums. A QC SRT-10. I didn't care to test drive it before I bought it, from Florida to California. However I should have because it smelled like smoke and took forever to get rid of the smell.

The Viper used, I had a compression check and inspection done by Jerry Dobson (thanks Jerry), and everything checked out. I wanted to drive it to make sure it drove and wasn't jerky. I did see Greg look for a "oh crap" handle when I floored it on a on ramp in 2nd gear. :)

Used cars, I always want to test drive now. New... I can buy site unseen or undriven also...

I have more to the story coming, alot more just wanted to get everyones thoughts. Personally I agree the owner has the right to refuse, I have no issue with that and the buyer has a right to walk. Again there is more, you guys are going to love it but I have to wait a few days.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How 'bout this. If the car is still under warranty - then maybe a drive isn't absolutely essential because if there is something wrong it, it will be taken care of.
However - a used car, with no warranty, and NOT allowed to drive it? - ummmmm NO.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you guys are brave (maybe foolish). No way would I buy a car without driving it first, I don't care what it is. As a seller, I would check out the buyer before letting him drive with me in it. I have to be comfortable with him after a chat and verify drivers license. I would drive first of course.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I let the buyer test drive my lightly modded 04 before buying it last year but after my dad totalled my 06 erlier this year(his first time driving a viper) I will not let anyone else behind the wheel of my vipers until they legally own it. Its a sick feeling seeing your viper smashed to pieces one feeling I dont want to deal with again:( and I can only imagine how it would feel knowing someone died in one of my cars. And to hell with riding along with thats just insane PERIOD

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how 'bout This. If The Car Is Still Under Warranty - Then Maybe A Drive Isn't Absolutely Essential Because If There Is Something Wrong It, It Will Be Taken Care Of.
However - A Used Car, With No Warranty, And Not Allowed To Drive It? - Ummmmm No.

I Would Have Normally Agreed But..... Its Coming