Looking for 600 h.p.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what would I need to do to get my Gen II to 600 h.p. It's an ACR so it already has K&N filters and smooth tubes. I would imagine headers and exhaust but is there anything else I can do. I like the power of the '08 vipers but I still can't get past the style. THe hood definately helps the new cars but the Gen II style is what I love. I figure if I mod one of my cars why not mod the ACR.

Thanks in advance for the input!!!

Reaction score
N/A will take heads, cam and better pistons, then custom tuning.

F/I will need custom S/C package, tuning, and possibly better pistons.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All it will take is a set of Stryker heads and good tuning, you will make much more than a gen 4. 600hp at the wheels is not hard which means roughly 660-670 at the crank.

But if you want to stay on the cheap side, you can port your heads or put on gen 3 heads and port those.

You will not need pistons, unless you just have to waste your money.

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does something like that normally run for N/A mods?

Welcome to my world. I have an 02' n/a motor with over 635 hp at the crank.
Your going to need ported heads, cam, headers, exhaust, and tuning. You could keep the pistons if you want but if money is not an issue I would change them while you are there. As for the price if you install if yourself is about $ 8,800.
This was my cost breakdown:

1. Gregg Goog Heads +/- $ 2,500 (Port & Polish your stock heads)
  2. Port Match Intake +/- $ 300
  3. Cam +/- $ 600
  4. Lifters & Push Rods +/- $ 350
  5. ARP head studs +/- $ 350
  6. Gaskets +/- $ 375
  7. Headers +/- $ 1,800
  8. 3" Exhaust +/- $ 1,500
  9. Tuning +/- $ 1,000
Doing it yourself, priceless. :2tu:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to my world. I have an 02' n/a motor with over 635 hp at the crank.
Your going to need ported heads, cam, headers, exhaust, and tuning. You could keep the pistons if you want but if money is not an issue I would change them while you are there. As for the price if you install if yourself is about $ 8,800.
This was my cost breakdown:

1. Gregg Goog Heads +/- $ 2,500 (Port & Polish your stock heads)
  2. Port Match Intake +/- $ 300
  3. Cam +/- $ 600
  4. Lifters & Push Rods +/- $ 350
  5. ARP head studs +/- $ 350
  6. Gaskets +/- $ 375
  7. Headers +/- $ 1,800
  8. 3" Exhaust +/- $ 1,500
  9. Tuning +/- $ 1,000
Doing it yourself, priceless. :2tu:

great post and info !

dont do anything without talking to greg good first.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out my ALL MOTOR BUILD in the GENII section;)

But just Greg Good heads and a nice cam can get you around 580rwhp with a few other supporting mods.

SammyV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2001 gts. Stryker heads ,708 cam,bellingers,HF cats,3in corsa,stock intake and TB's,filters and smooth tubes, 10 to 1 copression and dc tune. (Arrow engine) 520 rwhp,545 rwtq. that calculates to about 600 crank hp. SammyV :2tu:

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sammyv. Somethings wrong there. Bugeater did strykers, 708 cam and exhaust and got 550rwhp without tune I believe.

SammyV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SquadX and plumcrazy, Yes I thought it would make abit more power. Jeff at Stryker had told me it would make about 550rwhp before we began the project. As far as the tune, I discussed it with Dan Craggin (mail order tune) we both felt it would be to leave as is since I couldn't hall it from Indiana to California and run it on his dyno. SammyV

fe4snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, there is something wrong. You should be able to do 550 rwhp or more. I went with Gregg Good heads and a custom cam from Comp Cams. Even without the tune, car was making more than 550 rwhp.

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in the process of a complete rebuild. My local Viper techs told me my oil pressure was in spec the past year. Turns out, my gauge was right, they were wrong! I had those ******** check it 2-3 separate times too!

Always look on the bright side though, right?...

My 96' GTS is now in the trusted hands of Chuck Tator. He gave me a list of upgrades that were no brainers since the labor was there anyway. I am very curious to see what kind of power we make.

I am staying N/A and going with higher compression.

-C.P. pistons
-Vec2
-Port
-1,7 rockers

I still have yet to have the pleasure of meeting Chuck, but have talked to him on the phone several times. Over the years of visiting the VCA, I have read about how great he is to work with. Let me say, he has exceeded my high expectations thus far.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what would I need to do to get my Gen II to 600 h.p. It's an ACR so it already has K&N filters and smooth tubes. I would imagine headers and exhaust but is there anything else I can do. I like the power of the '08 vipers but I still can't get past the style. THe hood definately helps the new cars but the Gen II style is what I love. I figure if I mod one of my cars why not mod the ACR.

Thanks in advance for the input!!!

612rwhp 619 twtq all motor Stock bottem end on a 2001, take a look. Car has been running that way like a champ for yrs

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...iper-today-612-rwhp-619-rwtq-91-pump-gas.html

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, Thanks everyone for the input but after some more thought I decided to trade in my ACR and I got a GEN. IV. The car is amazing!!!!! If anybody is on the fence I suggest just doing it. YOU will not regreat it.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you are going to use this car mostly for street driving, the right combination of parts will give good driveabilty and power.

Feel free to give me a call and I can discuss all the options and provide you with a detailed quote.