Lotus makes the Viper frame?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just met with some guys at Tesla and started talking about their relationship with Lotus and how it made a lot of sense to repurpose the Elise body for their roadster. We got into a discussion about Viper development, and they swore up and down that Lotus builds the Viper chassis. I told them they were crazy, but they kept telling me to research it and see for myself. So, anyone know for sure? I'd like to be able to definitively tell them they're full of crap.

Oh, and you wouldn't believe their pitch on how the Tesla roadster outperforms a Viper... I know they're smoking something with that claim (I told them to watch the Top Gear road test on the car...).

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe I heard numerous times at CAAP that the frame is built in Canada ...

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't Mayflower a Canadian truck delivery company? Green with yellow paint on their trailers?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given that the ex ( as of 2 weeks ago) Exec VP of Tesla engineering, mfg, and quality was a Chrysler engineer for most his career I would think that Tesla people would have better information. Everyone that has been to CAAP knows they build their own chassis.

What they may have been referring to though is the ENVI battery electric vehicle. Sounds like a communication error, especially given that Tesla also uses the Lotue Elise chassis.

OP
OP
M

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given that the ex ( as of 2 weeks ago) Exec VP of Tesla engineering, mfg, and quality was a Chrysler engineer for most his career I would think that Tesla people would have better information. Everyone that has been to CAAP knows they build their own chassis.

What they may have been referring to though is the ENVI battery electric vehicle. Sounds like a communication error, especially given that Tesla also uses the Lotue Elise chassis.

When the guy told me that the Viper frame was built by Lotus, I told him he had bad info. But, he was so adamant about it that I wanted to get some expert answers - I had enough doubt that I couldn't make a good argument :) Thanks everyone!

By the way, they had all kinds of other 'bad' information. I asked about the ongoing relationship between Tesla and the previous founder/CEO (the other Martin), and they started spewing all kinds of BS around about how he filed a frivolous lawsuit against them, and how Elon Musk was the actual brains behind the original idea, etc. Those in the know understand that Martin was the visionary behind the concept, and he really got screwed by a lame-ass board of directors and set of VCs...

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You obviously have no need to talk to those guys since they "mkae up their facts as they go along." They will undoubtedly not believe you anyway.

The late nineties Vipers were recalled because of some bad welds and gussets to be added to the steering and diff mounts to stop tracked cars from cracking. Ask if that was a Lotus design?

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The late nineties Vipers were recalled because of some bad welds and gussets to be added to the steering and diff mounts to stop tracked cars from cracking. Ask if that was a Lotus design?

Ted,

Is that why they told me at the border I could not bring a '98 or '99 into Canada?:dunno:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ted,

Is that why they told me at the border I could not bring a '98 or '99 into Canada?:dunno:

They lied ... I brought a Supercharged 98 GTS in Illinois and imported it to BC, Canada. Here's the link to disallowed vehicles ...

CHRYSLER PLYMOUTH/DODGE/EAGLE/JEEP - Section 3 - PASSENGER CARS - TABLE OF CONTENTS - Vehicle Importation from the United States - Vehicle Importation - Safe Vehicles - Road and Motor Vehicle Safety - Road Transportation - Transport Canada

94-94 Viper roadsters are not allowed to be imported to Canada. All the US Gen 1 Viper front bumpers don't meet Canadian specs. The 92 and 93 Vipers are more than 15 years old and therefor allowed into Canada without needing the Registrar of Import Vehicles/RIV BS. I had to add DRL to pass the Provincial ICBC inspection though. (20 min. to hardwire). Next year the 94 Viper roadster will be allowed in Canada.

You must be registered for see images

Ron notice the flat landscape? Out back of Airedrie

Ted

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron notice the flat landscape? Out back of Airedrie

Ted

You were definitely looking East. Foothills and mountains looking West.:D

About the import, I am not sure what she was talking about, but she was adamant about those 2 years. :dunno:I didn't push it as mine is 2001 and I just wanted out of there.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One of those civic power trippers? You know, the people that become Politicians?

She's wrong. Hate it when you have to teach dummies their job but, as in the pic, my 98 GTS was not a problem to import. You also need a letter from ddoge stating that there are NO oustanding recalls. Frame welds and gussets were recalls and get done for free- they just need to be done. When getting the RIV inspection the DRL, baby seat anchor are checked. The '01 Vipers had no recalls.

Ted

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Dodge EV--Tesla-like all-electric performance sports car called the Dodge ev along with three other vehicles operating either partially or entirely on an electric powertrain. The four vehicles are Chrysler's ENVI electric car program, and include an extended-electric Chrysler minivan, a new "gated community" electric called "the peapod" and a Jeep Wrangler four-door. The ev, the first of the four unveiled, not only operates entirely on plug-in power like the Tesla Roadster and appears to have similar performance numbers, also has some striking visual similarities with the Tesla. And why shouldn't it? While the Tesla's built on the Lotus Elise, the Dodge ev appears to be based on the Lotus Europa. We'll have more shortly as soon as Chrysler actually, you know, releases some information on this, but for the moment what we know is below the jump.

This reminded me of the Dodge EV. One of my all-time favorites cars: Lotus Elise/Exige (after the VIPER of course~! :)
~juli

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct they come into CAAP on shipping racks/crates. As the name Conner Avenue Assembly Plant would suggest, the plant puts together parts that come into the building. There is not a single part that is created/fabricated at the plant, this would also include the build up of the Viper v-10. Nothing is painted, welded, ect.....here on site. Just the hand crafted assembly of one of the best sports cars in the world.

Last edited:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct they come into CAAP on shipping racks/crates. As the name Conner Avenue Assembly Plant would suggest, the plant puts together parts that come into the building. There is not a single part that is created/fabricated at the plant, this would also include the build up of the Viper v-10. Nothing is painted, welded, ect.....here on site. Just the hand crafted assembly of one of the best sports cars in the world.
+1 on that. It's always been that way. Realistically, you can't have 60 employees at CAAP doing everthing from chassis weld, engine build, body molding and assembly. If they could, then the Viper would become a 50K car or less and CAAP (Chrysler) would be a model of efficiency.

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyway, I'm not going to ask about the "who made it" but as me for welding Experience which I also do for living. I'm pretty upset the quality on the frame of my 06 coupe. At a job I used to work for before a huge layoff happened, I would have gotten yelled at. The weld wasn't the greatest, BB's everywhere. Yeah no one will ever see it but I like to have a quality product just like any other customers would like theirs. I like to clean bottom of my car too and make me double check for any rust that may start from a paint peeling which has on the passenger side around the exhaust.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You get BB's with the MIG welding process. Viper frames are welded with flux-core wire because of the anti-corrosion coating of the steel members. The welding flux floats these impurities out of the weld bead. I'd rather have strong booger welds than stress-prone beauties.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala