My power steering pump

ViperRed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Was wondering if you guys could help me out here. About a week ago, my power steering pump jammed up and caused damage to the belt, idler pulley, tensioner pulley and the engine oil pressure switch.

Took the car in to the dealer and they didnt have the parts in stock.

So i managed to locate the required parts here and there except for the pump. I took the pump in to a local shop and had it repaired.

When went back to the dealer and handed them over the parts, the mechanic said the the pulley on the pump was still not soft enough. He claimed that the pulley should freely turn with a twist of a finger, and that the repaired pump still required some pressure by hand to rotate it.

I dont know if this is normal or not, should the pulley on the pump easily turn, or does it require fluid and running in to operate normally? Will it jam up on me again after a few miles of driving?

When a pump is remanufactured or repaired, should the turning of the pulley be the way he claims it should be?

I just need to know so that i can take my precautions and order a new one right away before any more damage occurs.

Thanks in advance.

PS My viper is a 1993 RT/10 model with A/C

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to replace the pump on my 95 about a year ago because it was leaking. Both the new pump and the old pump the pulley spun very freely. I remember this because I had to take the pulley off the old pump to put on the new pump. It was not an easy task given that the pulley spins so freely and if I did not have a pulley puller.

I bought my pump from Chuck Tator at 914-763-3136. I think the cost was around $500 for a gen I power steering pump.

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same here, I just replaced my pully because the stock one is plastic. It does spin freely. Maybe put a little power sterring fluid in there and see if that frees it up at all.

OP
OP
ViperRed

ViperRed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, finger crossed and lets see if it works properly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62