Need help/advice ASAP. Re: Valve cover corrosion

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having my VC's and manifold powdercoated. The shop doing the work called today and asked me to come by so I could see what they were running into. Once they started blasting off the old (factory) coating, there is a lot of corrosion underneath. The owner says he should be able to manually sand it down and add primer and still have the new finish on the VC look good, but he is afraid if the problem isn't cured, I could have the same issue in a year or whenever.

Does anyone know what to do to prevent the VC's from corroding in the future before he powder coats them?

Thanks!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think so there is any majic out there, i think he is just covering his butt on warranty, wich i dont blame him- you can only do so much to prevent

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure that he knows the valve covers are magnesium and not aluminum in case that affects his decisions on primer, etc.

I personally just had mine painted with the same Dodge paint used on the car so that the color match would be perfect and after 4 years or so, they still look like new.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad, mine were modestly pitted under the paint....didn't need any filling, just sanding. After powdercoat they've lasted 7 years so far without a single bubble or blemish. I think you've seen 'em but if you want to check them out I'd be happy to show you. Perhaps its a non-issue if they're sanded correctly?

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Send them to R&J Distributing. If your guy has never dealt with them before he is likely to mess them up. Besides blasting issues these valve covers outgas a lot after spraying them and tend to pit. Save yourself hassle, send to R&J. My local company who does great work screwed mine up due to outgassing. Magnesium is very pourous and if its not done exactly the right way your wasting money.

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep the skanks off the valve covers !!!

If that is part of the problem, it is a shame Dodge didn't make the VC's out of the same material as the hood. The hood has held up great over the years of "abuse" it has had to suffer. Abuse most Viper hoods would kill to suffer from. ******* bikini season starts next month....... :D :D :D

Perhaps its a non-issue if they're sanded correctly?

Hopefully that's true. The powdercoater really seems to know his stuff, so I feel safe with him doing the work.

Send them to R&J Distributing. If your guy has never dealt with them before he is likely to mess them up. Besides blasting issues these valve covers outgas a lot after spraying them and tend to pit. Save yourself hassle, send to R&J. My local company who does great work screwed mine up due to outgassing. Magnesium is very pourous and if its not done exactly the right way your wasting money.

Thanks John, I'll call him tomorrow and let him know. I think he plans on doing them Tuesday, so I want to give him the headsup. He knows they're magnesium and that didn't seem to worry him at all, so maybe he already knows how to handle the outgassing, but I'll still tell him just incase.

Don't encourage Tony. He just does it for attention :D

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My powder coater was warned they were magnesium and he wasn't concern either till he handed them back to me and I rejected them. He baked them for 6 hours prior to laying powder on them and they were still outgassing. In the end I lost my raised lettering from being sand blasted so much but no big deal. Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62