New clutch. What do I go with ?

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of clutch would you go with in a 770 RWHP car ? I heard the stock clutch would be fine with drag radials.

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had better luck with the stock than the kevlar but you should talk wiht Jon B about a relatively new option for us which he was recently telling me about (I'm not sure but I think it might have been RSI)

I'm calling him on Monday for one, If you like, I can get the details and report back.

Phil

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my oem clutch went out at 20000 miles and I am putting tiwn turbos in now, so I decided to got with the Spec carbon fiber pad clutch and Al flywheel. I probably would have stayed stock if I had not planned on being over 750 RWHp.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a dealer for Spec clutches and can get you a discounted price. You can look on their website to see the options. I think Roof went with a Spec. Myself and Utahviper have the Spec stage 3. Mine Stage 3 chatters (jerks) a little bit from a stop (normal street driving) but there is NO slip with high rpm launches and et streets.

http://www.speclutches.com/specMain.html

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of clutch would you go with in a 770 RWHP car ? I heard the stock clutch would be fine with drag radials.

Jeff, you might want to drop Jason Heffner a line..He has a new Dual Disk Clutch that's getting some great feedback ..I'm having him install one in my TT RT/10.

Good Luck !

Jeff

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff:

The clutch I was referring to the other day was an RPS carbon/carbon. Actually, I believe that the clutch was designed for or commissioned by DLM when they were doing Treynors beast. At any rate, it is pricey but supposedly very good ($1895) RPS also has a very good balanced Alum flywheel which has 4 pucks instead of the friction ring. the pucks are replacable. Perhaps it's best to ask Doug about it if you have any interest in this set up.

For the power I'm running (or lack thereof), I still believe you can't beat the bang for the buck with the stock clutch.

Phil

OP
OP
T

twinvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually spoke with Doug today and says put a stock clutch back in it. The clutch never went, the bearing leaked onto it and that's why I need a new one.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony:

What is the difference between the 3 and 3i. Why do you think yours chatters, did you use the old flywheel.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3 and 3i ? I don't understand. On that web site it does give the descriptions of the stages. I used Specs aluminum flywheel, replaced my stocker. I talked with the owner today and he said to give it some more miles because I only broke it in 150 miles before racing it and they want 500+ miles break-in. I just didn't have enough time. He said it should get better and if it doesn't suit me.....they are working with a different material on the flywheel that should hold the same power and be less prone to chatter. The stage 3 as I have it will not be totally smooth as a stock clutch IMO ....but it will hold more.

While we are on the subject, Aluminum flywheels.....After a chane from a stoker, has anyone noticed the jerkyness in say 1st or 2nd gear has gotten worse ? I call this the loping of the cam........mine seems to have gotten a lot worse and I think the alum flywheel may be the culpret. Thoughts ?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony:

I just put in a 3i. It is new and an improvement over the 3, according to the their tech support. It supposedly needs 1/2 the break-in. I believe the characteristic is the clamping of the 5 with the drivability of the 3.

Here it is next to the Luk. It was more money than either the 3 or 5.

96Spec_and_Luk_Clutch.jpg

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
waaay outta my league for HP (not for long :laugh: ) but i just replaced my clutch with a new stock and aluminum four puck FW. all research and opinions i got over past mos lead to this choice for drag/ roadcourse/daily driver car

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jeff, you might want to drop Jason Heffner a line..He has a new Dual Disk Clutch that's getting some great feedback ..I'm having him install one in my TT RT/10.

Good Luck !

Jeff

One advantage of the twin disc clutch nobody has mentioned so far is that with the two discs, there is much less shock and load on the driveline. Sure, the stock clutch can hold the power pretty well, but the way the twin discs sequentially engage, sharing the load, this means your trans, rear end, 1/2 shafts and so-on will live longer.

I do not know about anybody here, but if there is a clutch that can hold about 1500 HP AND makes for less shock and strain on all the expensive shilt(that is a pain in the asp and costly to change), getting one for your high hp car that breaks more things more frequently is a no brainer!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not know about anybody here, but if there is a clutch that can hold about 1500 HP AND makes for less shock and strain on all the expensive shilt(that is a pain in the asp and costly to change), getting one for your high hp car that breaks more things more frequently is a no brainer!

That's the way I felt about the half-shaft issue. I suppose at some point components need to be beefed up, but I like the idea of the weakest link being the cheapest and easiest to replace.

James Bell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is the RPS carbon clutch/flywheel double the price of the Spec carbon clutch/flywheel?

James Bell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is $1895.00 regular list price for the RPS clutch? Can any of the suppliers do a little better on the price?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is $1895.00 regular list price for the RPS clutch? Can any of the suppliers do a little better on the price?

This $1895 RPS Carbon-Carbon single disc is discontinued, effective 1/21/04.

In 30 days, (accepting orders now) PartsRack will have the new RPS clutch kit: A Euro-ceramic full face clutch single disc, BALANCED Steel Billet Pressure Plate, design-rated at 1000 lb-ft torque, {Testing next Week at D-C Performance, thanks Dan!) 3400lb clamping force, priced at $1049. VCA under $900, stay tuned. COMPATIBLE with OE and current RPS Aluminum puck-style flywheels. Optional puck-style RPS balanced AL flywheel, Kit WITH flywheel $1649, VCA under $1500. SRT-10 soon, same price likley

OPTION NOW: Tilton offers a twin-disc now, WITH Flywheel (not compatible w/ others) for $1595, $1395 VCA, that Heffner Performance has used and tested at 900HP. G1-G2 fitment now, SRT-10 soon.

James Bell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack B, how is your Spec (stage 3-I) clutch holding up? Does it have alot of chatter on the street?