New Tires

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The PS2's didn't make the final 9???? Where did they place in the finals?

You cut and pasted out of context... The PS2 is listed at the top, with wet/dry times.
It placed # 1 in a couple important categories, and top-tier in most. The test was conducted mentioning PS2 as the standard-bearer!

People buy tires for several reasons. In no particular order, here are 10:

Lowest Initial Cost
Lowest Cost per mile
Highest Mileage Life
Best handling/cornering/Braking performance.
Best ride (subjective)
Quietest.
Good-Best traction wet
All-season capabilities
Best Hot-dry performance, wet does not matter, nor cold.
High-Zoot Tread Appeal

MattDillon: The Kumhos are cornering beasts, very fast. Great straightline; Great dry traction; Great Zoot; Mediocre-OK wet. 50% tread life of PS2...... Low initial cost. CHAOS mentioned his 8000-mile Kumhos,,,FL climate, and also his donuts and smokey burnouts, and ****tos that squeel like a pig when cornering. Your driving style may vary!

tpduke112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As an autoXr, If you re-read the above first-hand experiences, as well as objective tests, you will ELIMINATE the KDWs and invos from your plans..unless you plan to go SLOWER in your autocrossing. The Kumhos will corner fastest, the PS2s last longest.

The price now, and the price in the Spring WILL be different. Besides, forum rules prevent vendors from posting prices in all but 2 Vendor areas.

Got it, Higher or lower in the spring?

right now, I am looking hard at the Kumho Ecsta XS, but I have also found the Ecsta V700. Right now I am getting info on treadwear/street ability/track ability comparison of the two. What do you think about the XS vs. the V700?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score

right now, I am looking hard at the Kumho Ecsta XS, but I have also found the Ecsta V700. Right now I am getting info on treadwear/street ability/track ability comparison of the two. What do you think about the XS vs. the V700?

1. Higher
2. what size wheel? XS doesn't (didn't, at least) come in 18" we need for the rear. V700= lots, I mean lots of grip. tread wears out quick (5-7000miles), not good in rain, will pick up gravel even when cold. Go with XS if you have 17" or 19" (my opinion between the two). If 18", you'll run 305's up front, too. Lots of info on these "search" :D

tpduke112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have factory ACR 18s. I could have sworn I found XS's in 335/30/18s. Ill see if I can find them again.

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Traction, noise, longevity. All around better tire. I have run them all, and the Invo is a hard one to beat. I have run a good six sets of PZero's and PS2's, and have to say the Invo for a street car is the better of the three.

I agree. Better looking too.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have factory ACR 18s. I could have sworn I found XS's in 335/30/18s. Ill see if I can find them again.

315/30/18 or 345/30/19. If/when they come out with the 335/30/18, I'll probably give 'em a try. I'm running the BFG KDW's since May, and very pleased so far...
May try the Invo's after these:dunno:

tpduke112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
315/30/18 or 345/30/19. If/when they come out with the 335/30/18, I'll probably give 'em a try. I'm running the BFG KDW's since May, and very pleased so far...
May try the Invo's after these:dunno:

Yea. I'm looking at KDW2s because I'm familiar with them. My last two cars had them (Supercharged E46 M3 and a Whippled Terminator Cobra), but I would like something with a little better track prowless. I might spring for PS2s if I can't find anything else.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

They are both a great track-auto-X-street- option, and low initial cost. Grippy treadwear ratings, 80 or below. The problem is limited seasonal availability of BOTH models, in Viper sizes. XS has NOT been avail 18" rears. And V700 only offers 305-18 fronts. The XS is somewhat the newer, higher-tech version of the V-700. XS copies somewhat the technology of the PS2, with a graduated grip across the treadwidth. I have driven both these tires street and track and find them to be near-equals...perhaps the edge to the newer tech of XS....the only Kumho street Option for 18-19 SRT fit.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yea. I'm looking at KDW2s because I'm familiar with them. My last two cars had them (Supercharged E46 M3 and a Whippled Terminator Cobra), but I would like something with a little better track prowless. I might spring for PS2s if I can't find anything else.

Please do yourself a favor and re-read DOM, Rocket, and several others above. Or believe me. Or believe LUKE at Tirerack, a frequent participant in events where Vipers lap or X.

The reason to buy KDWs or Nittos take their place in the ten priorites listed above. They are: Low initial Cost; Good Straight-line grip; High-Zoot Tread Appeal.

Remember, ANY new, (even mediocre) tire will be safer and better than old, hard, hockey-puck OE tires. And will then reveal anecdotes of owners "liking" them. Of COURSE you like them, compared to crap they are great !

But if you seek OVERALL PERFORMANCE / HANDLING first, and the budget permits, choose PS-2, or Kumho XS when that size option permits.

tpduke112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Jon. I'm learning a lot. Looks like the XS is the best option for me. Damn Kumho for not making a 335/30/18. I only plan to track it once or twice a year and I'm no expert driver, but I don't want to leave anything on the table with invos or KDWs if I can spend an extra 400 and get the performance of the PS2 (or hope kuhmo makes an Viper 18 sized XS). A lot to ponder until February when I buy them.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires are the last thing you want to save money on. I really don't understand why so many people will spend big money on upgraded brakes and bolt-on's for an engine but will drive around with tires that will not take a corner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth