No Firepower........

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the writing is on the wall, everyone seems to be making more of the same and anything really unique gets the axe :smirk:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HMmm.I though it was to be built on a viper chasis with a v8 and auto avilable as in more luxury and less driver oriented. GTS Bruce

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HMmm.I though it was to be built on a viper chasis with a v8 and auto avilable as in more luxury and less driver oriented. GTS Bruce

This is also what I had heard at VOI9. I saw the concept at VOI9 and would of loved to have a Firepower. :curse: :mad:

Reaction score
I was hoping for a 550 hp Fire Power with the Mercedes 6 speed or Jeep SRT 8 4 wheel drive line built on the Viper rolling chassis. This would be a perfect car four the wives who do not like manual tyranny's.

They have a great rolling chassis and the V8 hemi would be less weight than a Viper making for a Smoke'n automatic Sports Car! :headbang:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the Charger 6 speed is the MB 6 speed, you won't like it. The torque converter behaves like a CVT, it is slow to unlock, flash up RPM, then downshift on a moderate pedal application, and has all sorts of nanny electronics built in.

Reaction score
Hi Tom,

I do not like the Charger six speed. Do not believe it is the same tranny as the Mercedes shifts a lot smother - no one would buy a Mercedes with the shift characteristics of the Charger.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, that's interesting...

<preface: rambling thoughts of an armchair theorist>

you see, word 'was' that the reason for the Viper shutdown a few months ago was to retool CAAP to build the Firepower alongside the Viper....

Since that's no longer going to happen and it will cost Dodge at least several million $ to develop a new motor that meets 2007 Federal Nitrous Oxide emission standards (for any new Viper made at this point)....

It seems we will either hear nothing at NAIAS in a few weeks about a new Viper (deafening silence as it were) or....the Viper will be officially discontinued.

I think the only reason we have not heard anything at this point is there are warring factions in DC that want to pull the plug and want to continue the Viper (just a hunch).

Dodge, well, DC, is in a world of hurt right now.

Viper "facts" to be considered:

a) select dealers began selling 06 Vipers (verts and coupes) at a steep discount somewhere between March and April 2006 (steep meaning 76-78K)

b) 2006 Vipers were available in nearly every paint scheme EVER offered (you could get together 18 Vipers at not have a single color scheme repeated!)
...this has NEVER happened before (I "consider it" a parting gift, "here you go, take your pick, every color we could muster")
recap:
white+blue stripes
blue
blue+white
blue+silver
red
red+silver
red+black
red+white
black
black+silver
slate
slate+silver
yellow
yellow+black
yellow+silver
copperhead
copperhead+black
copperhead+silver
<just about the only color missing is Silver!>
(not to mention that there was an unprecedented 3 "special editions" (b+w, r+w and w+b))

c)The "last" 100 Vipers built where White+Blue, sure, you knew that, but, did you know that one of them possessed the text "The Last One" on its window sticker (and Woodhouse had it listed for $112,000 and it was gone pretty quick)

pic:
5x_LAST_ONE_1B3JZ69Z66V101801.jpg

Question for the "old timers"...is this something each 'last' Viper had on its window sticker (from years past)?

d) VOI.9...no mention of VOI.10 (or anything else dealing with the future of Vipers)

e) Dodge cancelled sponsorship of Skip Barber Driving School (they were the top sponsor for 10 years)...and quickly thereafter Skip Barber rejected the VCA member discount they use to offer (so Dodge probably pulled the plug on their sponsorship very quickly/little notice and a p.o.'d Skip Barber immediately denied VCA discounts...just a hunch) (Mazda has since become Skip Barber's top sponsor - more here:)
http://skipbarber.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=1684

f) rumors abound from insiders that the Viper will continue in 2008 and that magazine articles are imminient (Jan issues are out..nothing so far), VCA regional presidents have been invited to NAIAS (no doubt to showcase the latest sprinter van! (a nod to VOI.9)), and others under non-disclosure saying "don't worry, new Viper is coming"

...what's that all mean? why all the 'secrecy'...I'll tell you why, because their are warring factions in DC on both sides of the fence and a decision has not yet been made (again, a hunch, reasonable one I believe).

g) If were possible make the 2008 Viper exactly like the 2006 (same emissions) then we would have already seen a 2008 Viper(probably as a 2007) because no new r&d $ would be required to make the car.

background: The 2007 Federal Emissions have been 'known' to car manufacturers for a number of years. Many manufacturers took advantage of this to incremently redesign their engines to comply. Dodge did nothing with the Viper motor to "move" it towards compliance. That's the REAL REASON CAAP was shut down after 2006 model year run...not this phoney baloney retooling to produce the Firepower. They didn't want to invest to make the new motor...they just wanted to take a wait and see attitude if they wanted to make that kind of investment.

And, as an aside, the "Viper Truck" was an attempt to get more "mileage" so to speak out of the Viper powerplant (make a few thousand trucks, help spread out the cost to redevelop the motor...) Of course that truck was cancelled months ago as dealer's could not move them (you could not tow anything and they were very $ for a pickup truck).

Since the Viper Truck did not make it, I don't believe Dodge is going to invest millions of $ to make a new motor for a car they can only sell about 1200 a year of..just a hunch. ("only 1200 a year" given DC's current monetary 'dire straits' and lack of using the Viper as a proper marketing tool to 'sell' the entire line-up)

NOW...for an OPPOSING OPINION!
1)What about these 'test mules' with the leather covered hoods?

Maybe Dodge was doing some r&d on a motor redesign and testing if it would meet emissions compliance? Maybe it was not Dodge at all but ASC/McLaren doing some tuning work for a potential joint venture (should the Viper be continued).

2)Dodge showed off the Viper at the Beijing International Automotive Exhibition in Beijing, China on November 20, 2006.
http://www.upi.com/Newspictures/photo.php?PhotoID=PEK2006112001_001

Why would they do that if they are going to discontinue the car? (warring factions again...trying to see if they can 'add' to the sales volume by selling the car in China...or, since the Chinese don't have such a stringent emmisions control mandate..maybe just making the Vipers for China...as is..no need to modify the car at all...?)

3) What about the Bristol Fighter T?
http://autopark.blogspot.com/2006/11/bristol-fighter-t.html

It's a car that sells for $650,000! and uses the Viper motor, maybe the 'continue Viper faction' in DC is exploring other revenue opportunities.

Summary
---------
Looks like the Viper was moving towards having a future but recent events send a different or at best, mixed signal...of course time will tell.

Let the arrows fly!

-J

p.s. if anyone reading this lives near CAAP, do a drive by, stop, listen, is anything going on? Is anyone there (cars in the parking lot...)?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting reading. Were you a writer for the X files? I heard that aliens are using the closed CAAP facility to implant bar coded chips under the skin of DC US management personnel. Seriously, interesting analysis. What is or is not at the Detroit show will answer the question.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would suq if they didn't make it. It would keep them in the leadership role as far as auto designs. IMO

I would of liked one:-(

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting reading. Were you a writer for the X files? I heard that aliens are using the closed CAAP facility to implant bar coded chips under the skin of DC US management personnel. Seriously, interesting analysis. What is or is not at the Detroit show will answer the question.

Thanks,

As they say, the truth is out there...

-J

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all about the bottom line, ROI. Sure no one wants to discontinue the Viper but when health costs go up 100% in 4 yrs you gotta do what you gotta do...

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks,

As they say, the truth is out there...

-J

You must be registered for see images attach

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SO, what is really going on at the Conner Ave. plant? An extended shutdown for 're-tooling' is what we all understood. Re-tooling for what, if not the Firepower. Is this just a diversion? We also knew the name would not be "Firepower!" specifically, so are they just being good men-in-black?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just as an FYI, all of the regional VCA presidents have been invited to Detroit the second week of January. National board meeting on Thursday and Friday, then a bus to the NAIAS. The fact that it is not being held in Scottsdale during Barrett-Jackson (as it was last year) seems to say something. And the fact that they specifically scheduled a trip to NAIAS says even more. I, for one, am not even slightly worried about the Viper. Although I do appreciate the thought that went into #32's post.

As for the Firepower, disappointing indeed. I suspect the Challenger is DC's answer to the mid-priced sportscar, although with the reintroduction of the Camaro that leaves no direct competition for the base Corvette.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

Is it possible that Dodge wants to really build up the hype on the anticipated Challenger, similar to what Ford did with the Shelby GT-500 when it axed (though I think that run length was planned) the top dog Ford GT to make room? Does Dodge really want to axe the Viper to make the room for a new market imagine?

Personally, I feel the Viper is a different situation because it has created a following much different than the cars I just mentioned but business is business and ROI is ROI. Germans are not quick to sit around and bleed red ink. The SLR Mclearn may have been scheduled for a 3000 car run, but after the thing did not sell, and di not promote the imagine they anticipated, they quickly shortened it's lifespan as well.

However in this day and age, it is about the marketing. The Viper has been slaughtered by the idiots over at the various magazines, etc. I do not think I have read one single article giving it any credit for what I feel is a great job done. That is why I do not have a single magazine subscription that I subscribe to.

I hope they do not cancel it. Something down inside tells me they will not, but stranger things will happened. Since they say the next model run will be an 08', that gives them lots of time to develop it. The Viper runs have all been very real time in changes, etc. so I do not feel a no-show at Detroit, means their is no Viper.

This is the car biz and anything goes as long as it makes money or an anticipated image that can be quantified in an across the line increase in sales or great sales of that model. Miss the mark on both of those and "what happened to the Viper" WILL be an X-File.

Rick

SRTLEN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No Firepower, that ***** I was curious to see what it looked like in person. Kind of had the idea it would have been a Luxury/sport market car maybe like the XKR Jag. (nice for the wife):)

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The loss of the extra units the Firepower would have sold will hurt the chances of the next Viper platform (ZC) ever seeing production. The current platform will no doubt go on for at least another two model years, but I suspect the bean-counters at DCX are looking for a big splash from the '08 to allow the Viper program to continue. The problem is that all they see is the dollars generated strictly by sales of the Viper, they do not know how to consider the benefits that the Viper brings the company in terms of publicity and image.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that's true, let's hope the D decides to cut-and-run from the C before pulling the plug. Put some 'Mericans back in the drivers seat.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Firepower, that ***** I was curious to see what it looked like in person. Kind of had the idea it would have been a Luxury/sport market car maybe like the XKR Jag. (nice for the wife):)

I saw it in person and it was awesome! But the little V8 they had in the V10 cavity was a funny sight. You could pack a couple 10 yr olds under that hood.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way to go DC..... :rolleyes:

Funny how they can justify cutting any chance of the Firepower yet next year we'll see another *gasp* SRT vehicle only it will be the Chrysler Minivan SRT-6. :rolleyes:

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
c)The "last" 100 Vipers built where White+Blue, sure, you knew that, but, did you know that one of them possessed the text "The Last One" on its window sticker (and Woodhouse had it listed for $112,000 and it was gone pretty quick)

pic:
5x_LAST_ONE_1B3JZ69Z66V101801.jpg

Question for the "old timers"...is this something each 'last' Viper had on its window sticker (from years past)?

e (again, a hunch, reasonable one I believe).

Great post Yellow 32 with some good points.....I would hope that if that truely was the last Viper they would have put it in the Chrysler museum/headquarters and not sold it to the general public
I just dont think the Viper will go out like this but I have no basis for my statement,lol. I just traded(months ago) my 01 BB GTS for an 06 BB Coupe after being a Corvette man for years(I know shame on me but better late than never). I just hope to see this Flagship car around for alot more years to come!!! Like you said "Time will Tell"... :nana: :nana: :nana:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2008 Viper has become quite the Mystery Car. I can't remember when security was so tight on a new Viper.

All the VCA horsepower, representing the sale of thousands of cars and multi-million dollars of discretionary spending will be at that meeting. We will send you all the news, both good and bad.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2008 Viper has become quite the Mystery Car. I can't remember when security was so tight on a new Viper.

All the VCA horsepower, representing the sale of thousands of cars and multi-million dollars of discretionary spending will be at that meeting. We will send you all the news, both good and bad.

just don't report back about getting winks and nudges...

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is interesting that the lid is really on the 2008 Viper. My 2003 SRT10 has passed the 50,000 mile mark without any mechanical issues and I plan on buying a 2008. I look forward to seeing the upcoming color combinations and will be ordering mine sometime this summer. Bob

OP
OP
F

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think it is interesting that the lid is really on the 2008 Viper. My 2003 SRT10 has passed the 50,000 mile mark without any mechanical issues and I plan on buying a 2008. I look forward to seeing the upcoming color combinations and will be ordering mine sometime this summer. Bob

#3 on Woodhouses list. I too cannot wait...

Chuckdoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is interesting, considering I just bought a Saleen Mustang and was hoping for one of the 2009 or 2010 Vipers when they come out!!

Yellow32 put some thought into his post, and athough I think he's been watching too many Oliver Stone films, I am interested in 'THE LAST ONE"Did they put that on all the last model types (like between the RT-10 and SRT?

Interesting...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950