No longer a snake owner..

10SecSleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad night tonight, I'm lucky to be alive let alone telling you guys what happened. Went off the road at around 60 mph, 20 feet off road was a cliff about 12 foot tall. I hit this at about 45 degree angle, time stood still. I knew at that moment my life was over. However a few seconds later, I was climbing out the Srt 10 Viper. Looking for my cell phone which was found about 200 feet away. Very grateful with how these cars are built. The entire front end was crumpled up and destroyed, Cockpit completely unharmed. Window glass in one piece yet no longer in the car. Doors still opened an closed, trunk and rear end look fine.

I walk away with only a hurt nose from the airbag at impact. The passenger side door cover was gone, well most of the car was along side of the road. But with door cover gone, I seen how the doors an impact cars are. I was out walking around looking for my phone when someone comes running up yelling to call an ambulance and runs to drivers door to see no one in car. Then they think I was ejected. It was as if I was a ghost, but I spoke up saying I was the driver.

Should have some pics up tomorrow. Car is 2 hours away from home, I have a crappy cell phone picture however. I was in no way concerned about the car, I was just confused how I walked away with out a scratch on me. Sorry for the grammar, sentence structure still in shock.

YouTube - Srt 10 Viper Wreck Aftermath Pt1

YouTube - Srt 10 Viper Wreck Aftermath Pt2

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy Shiiiittttt
Glad to hear you are okay.
Says a lot for the construction of these cars that you could walk away.
When you feel better give us some more details always something to be learned from unfortunate incidents like this.

OP
OP

10SecSleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy Shiiiittttt
When you feel better give us some more details always something to be learned from unfortunate incidents like this.

I'm very impressed with how the car protected me the driver, the entire front end crumpled up, the bumper was gone, front part of car is the engine, the shifter seemed to come apart at impact, so the engine had to of shifted, the frame is bent upward.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy Shiiiittttt

couldnt have said it better

Illinois is pretty cold and salty around this time no ?

GTS Rich

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:omg:WOW! Glad that you are ok. The car can be replaced. Did you just misjudge the turn and go off of the road?
I used to live if Ofallon Mo and we rode the river road alot over to fast eddies and the loading docks. Some of those roads get twisty and can catch you if you are at speed and not paying attention.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even so, lots of left over sand on the roads.

Glad your OK. Cars can be replaced.

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you're ok. Someone out there was looking out for you.
Dodge Viper - 60K
Time off work - $$$???
Walking away from Viper wreck - Priceless

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10SecSleeper, Glad you are still here to talk about it, that looks like a nasty wreck. Gotta love how our favorite car was engineered.

I'm sure you are gonna feel like you got hit by a truck today. Rest and take it easy...

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the accident and very glad you're ok. But, you might want to edit the "at speed" part in case there is some sort of insurance investigation. Am I wrong here??
(then I'll have to delete mine)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Holy-Moly. Very familiar with Granite, Wood-River, Alton, etc....would like to know more location info info please? The "crush zones" did their job, but you had an angel along as well. I always want to know about the tire-factor?

Be Well. Hope you get a another Viper Safety Capsule..... MAN !!!

OP
OP

10SecSleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy-Moly. Very familiar with Granite, Wood-River, Alton, etc....would like to know more location info info please? The "crush zones" did their job, but you had an angel along as well. I always want to know about the tire-factor?

Be Well. Hope you get a another Viper Safety Capsule..... MAN !!!

It is like a capsule the way it stayed intact, It was 3 miles north of Troy, MO. Has Michelin pilot sport tires. Struck the wall going down hill in ditch and it tore the car to shreds.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Glad you're OK - a Viper can be replaced - a life can not.

With only 10 posts I have to assume you're a new owner - so hopefully your mistake can serve as a reminder to other new owners. Cold roads/tires and the torque of the Viper can be a scary combination.

This post should be a sticky in ALL forums: Keeping new Viper owners SAFE - a How To:

http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/630445-keeping-new-viper-owners-safe-how.html

Again great you could walk away from Snake Bite.

OP
OP

10SecSleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you're OK - a Viper can be replaced - a life can not.

With only 10 posts I have to assume you're a new owner - so hopefully your mistake can serve as a reminder to other new owners. Cold roads/tires and the torque of the Viper can be a scary combination.

This post should be a sticky in ALL forums: Keeping new Viper owners SAFE - a How To:

http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/630445-keeping-new-viper-owners-safe-how.html

Again great you could walk away from Snake Bite.

While I am new to Vipers, I put on 2.5k miles or so since I got it Jan 1st this year.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations on still sucking air! Once again shout out to Dodge engineers,more often than not we seem to walk away from accidents that should of killed us,that is no coincidence!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're OK. It's things like this that REALLY remind me (as I'm driving) to keep my speed DOWN in this cold weather, and NO funny stuff.

These cars seem to be VERY well engineered. Kudos to the Viper team for saving a life last night.

Grailkeeper

VCA Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Bad night tonight, I'm lucky to be alive let alone telling you guys what happened. Went off the road at around 60 mph, 20 feet off road was a cliff about 20 foot tall. I hit this at about 45 degree angle, time stood still. I knew at that moment my life was over. However a few seconds later, I was climbing out the Srt 10 Viper. Looking for my cell phone which was found about 200 feet away. Very grateful with how these cars are built. The entire front end was crumpled up and destroyed, Cockpit completely unharmed. Window glass in one piece yet no longer in the car. Doors still opened an closed, trunk and rear end look fine.

I walk away with only a hurt nose from the airbag at impact. The passenger side door cover was gone, well most of the car was along side of the road. But with door cover gone, I seen how the doors an impact cars are. I was out walking around looking for my phone when someone comes running up yelling to call an ambulance and runs to drivers door to see no one in car. Then they think I was ejected. It was as if I was a ghost, but I spoke up saying I was the driver.

Should have some pics up tomorrow. Car is 2 hours away from home, I have a crappy cell phone picture however. I was in no way concerned about the car, I was just confused how I walked away with out a scratch on me. Sorry for the grammar, sentence structure still in shock.

10Sec....

The most important thing beyond all else is that you're ok....I'm really glad and grateful for that. In cases like this it makes all the impact testing the team did worth while....hands down. I can't even begin to think how many cars we crashed at the Chelsea Proving Grounds to make sure the impact energy was managed properly so that the driver and passenger are protected to the max. I'll bet it is easily almost a hundred depending on when you start the clock. When I read letters like yours it make me know in my heart that we did the right thing.....be well.....GK

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the others, glad to hear you are OK. It can happen to anyone, anywhere and anytime.
You can always buy another car... good luck to you.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2500 miles since jan and not one in nice weather till the accident....... youre a new owner.

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the time when you needed it most your car, with all its safety features, died so that you may live! Like everyone else has already hit on I'm glad you are alive to tell us your story, the car can, and hopefully will, be replaced and you get to motor on another day. I've only had my GTS since Nov 10 but I have discovered that it will bite me in a tick tock if I'm not paying attention, first thing I did was put new tires on it, I felt the difference right away. So what model will you be shopping for now? ;) glad you're ok... Jeff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave