OFFICIAL SRT-10 POLL!!! THUMBS UP or THUMBS DOWN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
No SRT-10 for me. I will keep my GTS 4ever. I would probably buy a new coupe if it wasn't too modified for the street. Needs to maintain it's " hunkered down " look and I would prefer a solid 5-spoke wheel design. I would also like the hood to at least open from the cowl and toward the front of the car.
Trey, great idea...thanks for the poll!

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for voting Bob K & DEVILDOG! Your opinion matters & comments appreciated!

With your votes the poll stands at 63-7 AGAINST the SRT-10. Tell a Viper friend to contribute!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great poll! Just take note of one thing: Most of your "votes" are comparing the SRT to the existing cars (and mostly from GTS/ACR owners if you didn't notice). Take away the "comparison" factor and you may (or may not) get different results. Use the GT40 as a benchmark and I am afraid the SRT would go down in flames in terms of styling - especially with current coupe owners. Use the C5 (or the rather homely-looking C6 spy photos) as your comparison and the SRT might well come out with flying colors. Is it ugly? Nope. Do I like it as a "stand alone" car? Yep. And THAT is the question you asked. The question people are answering is "Would you take it over your current Viper?" If it is any help, my wife says "no".
laugh.gif

BTW, the car really isn't that bad in comparison:

You must be registered for see images

Now that they have added a black mesh grill in the rear bumper (so you don't see the stuff underneath), I would have to say the SRT looks meaner than the current Snake. It certainly has a more aggressive stance. The current Vipers (including my own) all look like they are "leaning back" because of the huge hood (what some detractors call the "clown shoe factor"). The new Viper looks like it is "facing forward" more. I also like the new clear lenses on the taillights instead of the dated taillights on the current car (which I believe are similar to the Sebring). Is the SRT a good looking car? Absolutely. Is it the best evolution possible from the current car? No doubt it could be better (the "knife-edge" venting on the sides look out of place with the rest of the curves, muted as they are). Would I take it over my GTS?
dunno.gif

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im still not sure, so i ordered one anyway. im sold on the performance but its the appearance im still undecided on so when it comes in, ill check it out from all angles, drive it, and if my blood races and i get a sh*t eating grin, ill buy it. if not, ill end up losing five hundred clams. no big loss for a serious decision

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If DC came to me and said "We're killing off the Viper," then handed me a picture of the new SRT and continued, "BUT we're going to replace it with the new '03 'Cuda RT/X" I would have been far, far happier than now.

Its obvious to me that DC wants to take over Ferrari's business...

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To quote Carly: "these are the good old days"--keep your Gen 1 and 2s. I have tried and tried to like the new snake, (and even defended it to others)-- but can't do it. Once the real car guys left, Gale, Lutz et al, it was the end of an era. So now we have a Toyota designer (who won awards for the Camry--WOW!!) designing a Viper. Let's see, were the guys who designed the Altima, Accord etc too busy? PLEASE. I know there are a lot of folks out there that have coupons and are determined to like this car and more power to them (no pun intended) I'm sure it will be a blast to drive, but then so is a Cobra kit car--doesen't mean I want one. To each, his or her own.

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting comments. Personally, I like it, I even ordered one
smile.gif
Although, I wouldn't and couldn't compare it to the current Viper, but I really don't think that was the intention of the new styling. It has it's own unique appearance, and is very attractive and aggressive. I especially like the way the car looks from the rear. I saw it in Manhattan at the car show a couple of months ago. Initially when pictures were being shown, I'll have to admit that I wasn't impressed by it, until I saw it at the show "in person". The car is much nicer looking in person, rather than how it appears in pictures (just like people
laugh.gif

Just my 2 cents
Laura
angel.gif
devil.gif
angel.gif

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
Wow, so Laura will have 3, no, make that 4 Vipers? Lucky gal!

Personally, while the SRT does not strike me as deeply as the current Viper, I like it. Took me awhile to warm up to it however.

Folks expect the SRT to make the same statement as the current Viper, but I do not think that it is supposed to. Dodge, and the rest of the car world is evolving, and the Viper must follow that same trend.

I wouldn't mind having one in my garage if someone buys it for me.
smile.gif

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
yesnod.gif
Thumbs up for sure! Love the classic style Gen 1's and 2's and absolutely love the new look as well!

Make mine silver... and make it fast!

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thumbs down for me.

I've seen it in person and was very disappointed--the looks just aren't aggressive enough for me for which the legend of the Viper has come to be known. Now if they were to make some relatively minor changes, i.e., flare out the fenders, go to a different hood, and make it look more like the GTS-R concept, I'd be ecstatic. I think this is a common refrain.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At a VCA meeting long ago we were asked what we wanted in a new
Viper? The overall answer was more hp and if there is a second
choice,more hp. Oh be careful what we wish for. Who knew they
weren't talking about using the same body. Here are my thoughts
so far.

New 95 RT/10 loved it.

When new RT/10 came out ordered 98 RT and bought my current 98
GTS before it arrived.

Could not part with the GTS but thought I was missing the RT/10
so bought 2000 RT/10.

Much nicer than 95 RT had everything I wanted. But that darn top
still was a PITA.

Trade the GTS for the SRT= NO
Keep the GTS and buy the SRT=YES

Since the SRT is the only new Viper I can buy=YES
Since it is a better convertible than previous Vipers=YES

I thank Dodge every day for making the car for under 80k and allowing the decision to keep my GTS to be so easy. Though
I am buying one it will be more like having a new Vette than
a Viper.

As of September the Princess becomes the Queen.

LONG LIVE THE KING(GTS).

p.s. Vote for me TREY,I'm just so confused.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Y2KGTS:
Great poll! Just take note of one thing: Most of your "votes" are comparing the SRT to the existing cars (and mostly from GTS/ACR owners if you didn't notice). Take away the "comparison" factor and you may (or may not) get different results. Use the GT40 as a benchmark and I am afraid the SRT would go down in flames in terms of styling - especially with current coupe owners. Use the C5 (or the rather homely-looking C6 spy photos) as your comparison and the SRT might well come out with flying colors. Is it ugly? Nope. Do I like it as a "stand alone" car? Yep. And THAT is the question you asked. The question people are answering is "Would you take it over your current Viper?" If it is any help, my wife says "no".
laugh.gif

BTW, the car really isn't that bad in comparison:

You must be registered for see images

Now that they have added a black mesh grill in the rear bumper (so you don't see the stuff underneath), I would have to say the SRT looks meaner than the current Snake. It certainly has a more aggressive stance. The current Vipers (including my own) all look like they are "leaning back" because of the huge hood (what some detractors call the "clown shoe factor"). The new Viper looks like it is "facing forward" more. I also like the new clear lenses on the taillights instead of the dated taillights on the current car (which I believe are similar to the Sebring). Is the SRT a good looking car? Absolutely. Is it the best evolution possible from the current car? No doubt it could be better (the "knife-edge" venting on the sides look out of place with the rest of the curves, muted as they are). Would I take it over my GTS?
dunno.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please post a front shot or side shot. The rear doesn't look ALL THAT BAD.. I still say ughhh..!

Gerald

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have given this question sooooo....much thought! I believe I have come up with an answer that fits my feelings on the SRT-10. I refuse to try to compare it to the Gen I & II, because no other car has the appeal to me that these Snakes do, and the SRT-10 doesn't have it either! IMHO the SRT-10 is not comparable to what owning a Viper is really all about(at least as far as myself and many current Viper owners feel about our cars!)! The Viper is American Muscle, with Heart and Soul that increases ones passion for driving with it's raw power and fierce looks!!
usa-clear-s.gif

So w/o the comparison to the True American Icon Vipers! I will give the SRT-10 a THUMBS UP! I have compared the SRT-10 to other cars and in I feel the SRT-10 is the car I would(will) buy before any other!

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In regards to body styling, I can't see myself going into the garage at night just to stare at the SRT-10, like I do with our current cars (even after several years of owning them). Maybe it will grow on me....

But, I did buy the name... www.ViperSRT-10.com
smile.gif

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have not seen the new car in person, only magazine pictures, but have seen the Comp Coupe at VOI and other events.

Sorry, don't like the look of either car very much. Neither new model evokes the response of a Gen I or Gen II car.

Would not buy one for two reasons:
1. Prefer coupe models over convertibles
2. Don't like the look of the new car

Last, I am in the market for a new high performance vehicle to go with my 98 GTS. The competition from Ford has already earned my deposit.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can I not be pleased with with nearly everything that has been done mechanically to the new car? Answer: I can't. Suspension, brakes, powertrain, ergonomics, etc., are supposed to be dramatically better than the Gen2s - even the ACRs.

How can I be turned off by the new car? Answer: Cover all the great mechanical and ergonomic greatness with bodywork that doesnt scream "SNAKE".

I have a black '03 on order. I will most likely purchase it. Time will tell if I keep the SRT, but I WILL NOT relinquish my '96 GTS.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black for me please. Not as unique looking as the Gen II cars but sounds like it will be a better car. I am actually debating on waiting a few years and getting the SRT 10 instead of a GTS. Time will tell.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I believe sufficient data has been compiled to facilitate a valid linear extrapolation. It's a clear and decisive thumbs down according to current Viper (mostly GTS) owners.

So the question is, what's the point? Our voices will be heard? By whom? How will this poll affect the car's styling? What should our expectations be?

Most of us working slobs had to stretch to buy a Viper so we don't have the luxury of adding an SRT-10 to the stable on speculation. The purchase of an SRT-10 constitutes a significant financial commitment which is extremely difficult to justify based upon this car's styling. When I grow tired of my ACR, and I will, the SRT-10 will not be in my cross hairs. I'd rather stretch a bit further and go for a 360 Modena or an 03 911 TT; that is unless DC knocks my socks off with a balls out GTS.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty much the same as Dean here, except I have the folly of a '93 RT/10 and '01 GTS already. I am going to have a hard time parting with the '93, which is a prettier car, but I just don't have the room, $ or time for 3 Vipers. I will buy the '03 and if it performs as advertised, then the view from behind the wheel will be my focus and I'll just keep a photo album of my '93.

I've said it before that this car is intended to reach different demographics and that is bound to be upsetting. That said, the new car is too derivative and lacks the styling panache of Jaguar, Ferrari, and perhaps even BMW and Porsche. The current car is as beautiful in its own way as any Ferrari or other exotic, and the new car definitely leaves that behind. But I don't know how to remedy that problem without just continuing with only the slightest of changes.

As for the lack of a coupe, that is not the issue in my mind, and I look forward to an open car that has just enough more practiclity that I can drive it daily, unlike the RT/10. I don't care for the coupe any more than for the SRT from an appearance standpoint.

Oh, so for me, put me in the thumbs up category (with reservations)

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just saw ACR Joe's comments, which mystify me. The 360 is not a "little" stretch, it is about twice the cost of a Viper (including the new car) and it has no performance advantage. I would like one, but face facts that it is to a large extent a poseur car (like I said, I'd still like one and one day want to try Ferrari ownership). As for the 911TT, I don't think it wins a styling war with the SRT/10 and will likewise cost about 1.5x the Viper and offer no performance advantage.

So while the SRT/10 styling does not knock my socks off, it sure has not driven me to want another marque. The real decision for me would be to get rid of the SRT/10, wait for the GEN IV Viper, and modify my existing GTS to overcome any performance differences. For now I plan to get the SRT/10 and enjoy the improved driving experience.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kverges:
Just saw ACR Joe's comments, which mystify me. The 360 is not a "little" stretch, it is about twice the cost of a Viper (including the new car) and it has no performance advantage. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That then characterizes and quantifies my dislike of the SRT-10.

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have tried to like the SRT. (I really have.) It's not that it is ugly - I don't see how it could be called ugly - but the icon factor that screams from the RT/10 and GTS is smothered in the SRT. So, for the purposes of this poll.....
shake.gif

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I understand that DC wanted to reduce the cost of the Viper. My question is why? The Viper has never been a major “money maker” for Dodge. It was meant as a prestige symbol recognized around the world. The Viper lent credibility to other Dodge products like the Dodge RAM. Before the Viper came out, I always thought of Dodge as a 2nd class car company with inferior quality and boring designs. I have this image of my dad’s tan Dodge Duster in my mind - ugly! And wasn’t Married With Children’s Al Bundy’s a piece of junk Dodge? Granted he hit a million miles in it, but it was always the butt of jokes on the show.

The Viper changed all that. It set the imaginations of countless little boys (& girls, i.e. Nadine) and teenagers who dreamed of one day owning a Viper. I was just at the Cape the other day, and this little 5 yr old kept circling my 2001 RT-10 round and round in awe. He circled it like 4 times staring at it without so much as a blink! I was amazed that such a young kid would recognize a beautiful car when he saw one, but was even more amazed when his parents standing nearby commented, “He has a Viper toy at home that he absolutely loves.” A future member of the Viper Nation perhaps? Well, maybe not, unless he can get his hands on a used Gen I or II Viper. 15 years from now(maybe much sooner), everyone will realize what a mistake DC made in ruining the curvaceous, eye-popping, onlooker whiplashing, design of the Viper.

The point is that the current generation of Vipers (I & II) are exotic cars that demand attention. I want a car that causes people whiplash as I pass them going the other direction - the current Viper does that. The SRT-10 is a great looking car, but it just doesn't scream "exotic" or cause "ooos and ahhhhs" from the peanut gallery. I saw it at the New York Auto Show and was very disappointed. Big thumbs down!

Let’s look at DC’s logic for this drastic change. As I stated, one of the factors was manufacturing cost. Ok, so the Gen I & II hoods cost like $15-20k to replace in an accident. So what! Hey, that’s what insurance is for! If anything, DC profits from Gen I & II Viper accidents. (though there never really is a bright side when my fellow Viper brethren get in an accident). When the hood is damaged, I believe DC is the one that has to re-manufacture it and accept payment from the insurance companies. Why turn down a buck? I don’t get it…

And if the reason has nothing to do with “replacement” costs and more to do with keeping the overall cost of the Viper down, I’d rather pay a little extra for better styling, which includes the clam shell hood and the curves around the front tires. If demand is there for a more “stylish” Viper, DC can charge a premium based on demand. Don’t get me wrong, I like that I paid $70k for a new 2001, but I’d be willing to pay $80k for a future Generation IV Viper that recaptures the essence of what truly is a Viper.

But I say FORGET profits - that’s not what the Viper is about. Consider it a loss-leader for DC. I’m sure there are Dodge RAM owners that bought these trucks thinking “Well if the DC engineers designed the fastest, baddest-as* vehicle on the planet, then maybe they helped design the RAM as well.” With the SRT-10’s “refined” styling, DC will now lose that image. It’s a sad day indeed for a great American car company - ruined by a Japanese designer. Just when American cars were making a comeback against Japanese imports. I smell conspiracy! Where’s Fox Mulder when you need him? ; )

I do like the performance gains on the 2003. But I’d rather modify my current stock Viper to get 500HP or more. You can always increase your performance, but changing your styling (Autoform aside) is much more difficult.

Sure, the 2003’s sold out. But I’m guessing its mostly collectors and speculators hoping to make a future buck by reselling it. My advice is for them to offload these cars within 2 years, because the roar of disapproval from Viper owners is sure to increase in volume with each and every passing day causing the resale value of the 2003 to surely diminish.

Well, at least the value of my Viper will increase. Too bad I will never sell it.

Richard K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one on order in the hopes that styling changes (particularly to the front) would occur prior to build. Based on that I will either keep it or let the dealer take it on.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Morning VCA! I would like to personally thank the following Viper Owners and or Members for participating in the Official VCA SRT-10 Poll! TexasViper, Y2KGTS, snakeyes, jimandela, joe117, Frank 01 GTS, rdustman, Bonkers, viperdrummer, "Viperess", -RUNNR, Joseph Houss, GaryA, Ray W, Casey, Sean Roe, Joe Dozzo, GTS Dean, agentf1, kung-fool, kverges, Craig A. Petersen, viperct2001, shclarke, and Richard K!

Your voices and comments definitely matter & will be heard!!

With your contributions to the poll, the running tally stands at 75-17 AGAINST the SRT-10. Please tell a friend to contribute!

<u>On a side note: Please, after commenting, vote thumbs up or down</u>. This is very important & I will not vote for you! Ray W I voted

icon14.gif
in your case. Y2KGTS, Joe117, and kung-fool, I didn't cast a vote for you. Please recast your votes difinitively.

Status
Not open for further replies.