Only 640 hp? ***

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off in regards to the comments in the looks dept, I will be the first to say pics don't do this one justice. Intact when I look at the pics I took, they make the car look less muscular. Hold your thoughts until you see it in person. The opinion will change.

As for hp, don't forget with less weight it is equivelant to more hp. So that also helps. Also consider the fact that mustang may have more hp, but it will not have the handling and it is much fatter. Remember. Every 100 lbs reduction is the same as gaining 10 hp. And let's not forget tq rules.

Also do consider folks, this is SRT. Since when do they lay all their cards on the table? This is the first release of info. I am willing to bet there will be much more info prior to the actual launch. And I am willing to bet Mopar will be offering some sweet goodies.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not disappointed by 640hp, because there's no reason for SRT to put anymore hp in it now....it'll still walk away from the competition as is. When it needs more they'll use direct injection and get another bunch there. If they can do 800hp in a GEN III crate motor, they can add more when its needed.

Regards,
Aaron

tzortzViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ACR-X was making 605lbs of TQ a couple of years ago.

Dont present like 600lbs is a miracle.

I would expect much more from the engine performance.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry big let down!! Only 100 lbs lighter! What are your thoughts?

It is far better than I expected. Does have a lot of Gen II looks. No let down here. If it had 700 HP there would still be some who would want more. 600 lb ft of torque in a stock car? Awesome job Ralph and SRT crew.:headbang:

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"When I said the car had only 640 hp, I meant 640 rwhp."
Signed: Ralph Gilles

Now what if this is the case :p

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off in regards to the comments in the looks dept, I will be the first to say pics don't do this one justice. Intact when I look at the pics I took, they make the car look less muscular. Hold your thoughts until you see it in person. The opinion will change.

As for hp, don't forget with less weight it is equivelant to more hp. So that also helps. Also consider the fact that mustang may have more hp, but it will not have the handling and it is much fatter. Remember. Every 100 lbs reduction is the same as gaining 10 hp. And let's not forget tq rules.

Also do consider folks, this is SRT. Since when do they lay all their cards on the table? This is the first release of info. I am willing to bet there will be much more info prior to the actual launch. And I am willing to bet Mopar will be offering some sweet goodies.

Hey Mopar Boy, it will only be faster if it comes in Race Yellow, right???:lmao:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you read the press release, horsepower is "estimated", which means they haven't SAE certified it yet. And, it's probably underrated. Look at the 6.4:witht numbers the SRT Challys and Chargers are putting down, in cars that weigh over two tons, that 392 is making more than 470 hp.

I suspect the 8.4 will as well. I think this car is a HIT, through and through. However, I am currently out of $100,000 bills.....!

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everybody is a Hater these days. You can't please all the people, all the time. No truer words have been uttered lately. If you don't like it don't buy it, sell your **** and go buy a ZR1 or GT500. Be knowledgeable about economics, how cars are designed and built before you start throwing stones. It is always a war between the bean counters and the enthusiasts. When this car was in the works obviously the ZR1 was a target as was past Vipers. I am fairly certain that the 650 hp GT500 took SRT by surprise but it was already a done deal by that time SRT is about selling cars AND selling parts to you. Do you not think the new car will have a proprietary upgrade kit for the GenV directly from SRT? Of course they will. Keeping the engine based on what they already have in house keeps prices for the consumer down, has a possible trickle down effect for those current Gen IV's owners and leaves them room for a "new" engine in 2015 or so. You have to think like a corporation thinks. It is not instant gratification or results. Incremental changes over the lifespan of the current design equals dollars and progress. You scoff at 640hp? Then go buy the Ferrari or Lambo for 3-4 times the amount you will pay for the Viper. Like it or not this is OUR representative on the world stage, in racing and on the street. So all of you Haters stop whining and show some damn support!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
To clarify, im okay with 640hp, its plenty for the open road and amatuer track day. This competition against vette, porsche, ect... is one of the biggest problems with all new cars today. Who cares which is fastest on whatever track - none of us will ever see those numbers in real life. What i want is a beautiful car thats fun for me to drive, to throw into a backroad corner, and to chirp tires in at the stoplight. This car is not it - with too many nanny aides and over complicated engineering what SRT has managed (yet again) is to make and awesome car for everyone but the people who want it.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everybody is a Hater these days. You can't please all the people, all the time. No truer words have been uttered lately. If you don't like it don't buy it, sell your **** and go buy a ZR1 or GT500. Be knowledgeable about economics, how cars are designed and built before you start throwing stones. It is always a war between the bean counters and the enthusiasts. When this car was in the works obviously the ZR1 was a target as was past Vipers. I am fairly certain that the 650 hp GT500 took SRT by surprise but it was already a done deal by that time SRT is about selling cars AND selling parts to you. Do you not think the new car will have a proprietary upgrade kit for the GenV directly from SRT? Of course they will. Keeping the engine based on what they already have in house keeps prices for the consumer down, has a possible trickle down effect for those current Gen IV's owners and leaves them room for a "new" engine in 2015 or so. You have to think like a corporation thinks. It is not instant gratification or results. Incremental changes over the lifespan of the current design equals dollars and progress. You scoff at 640hp? Then go buy the Ferrari or Lambo for 3-4 times the amount you will pay for the Viper. Like it or not this is OUR representative on the world stage, in racing and on the street. So all of you Haters stop whining and show some damn support!

Yeah how dare you guys voice your opinion just because you have owned multiple Vipers and been here for many years.
Listen to the cheer leading noob here for two months.
F off.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

AMEN!!!
Well put. Look at the 2008 ACR at Nurburgring vs 2010 ACR.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey people this is ****** wars! ( I want big HP!!!!) .... Now that our weiners have caught up to the others ( ZR-1 has how much HP for how long?), all we can do now is say "isn't ours pretty"........

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, thanks Jon. I look forward to meeting you in person. Some of us have been Viper enthusiasts since day one but could not afford to own one. Some have been blessed with the ability to own mulitiple Vipers and have been here for years. I applaud you. In truth there are things about the Gen V that I don't like but as is the goal with any new car it is incrementally better than the models that came before it and I applaud SRT for what they brought to the table. So Jon, sorry you are disappointed, but telling my to F off? ****** move. Just proves money and being the owner of "mulitple Vipers and been here for many years" doesn't increase your level of class.

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey blackandblue01 I am going to be in the Greenville/Owensboro area around the middle of May on my way to Miami. I will have my 96 RT with me so we might have to meet up. I am from Greenville and stopping through to visit some family.

Craig,

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey blackandblue01 I am going to be in the Greenville/Owensboro area around the middle of May on my way to Miami. I will have my 96 RT with me so we might have to meet up. I am from Greenville and stopping through to visit some family.

Craig,

Sounds like a plan, PM me when time gets closer we can grab some lunch or something.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but its a 20 yr old truck engine for god sakes!!! Getting 640 hp outta 8.4l is a joke! The new car deserved a new power plant, no ands ifs or buts about it!!

I quote Jim Carrey in The Cable Guy: "Well, maybe a few butts...." :)

Mike, seriously you have a point on the one hand, but on the other hand, the concept of the relatively lower revving 8+ liter V-10 with all that torque and tall gears is what has made the Viper such a legend. I drove the living daylights out of my 1996 GTS, hitting the top speed the car would go virtually every time I drove it. I held the pedal to the floor at 190 MPH for 5 miles trying to get the car to go faster(thinking in my head I hope it does not blow up!) and when the motor came out of the car to be built for forced induction back in the day at 73,000 miles, the bearings and the cross hatch pattern cylinder liners still looked perfect. All I ever did was change the oil and flog it after checking the tire pressure before I left each time!

People kind of have a point here about wishing that the Viper could be the undisputed king of power based on the factory HP and TQ specs like it did back in 1992 and 1996 where even a Ferrari Testarossa that was over $200,000.00 at the time had only 390 HP and 360 LBS/FT. Flat 12, dry sump, 6750 RPM and it was still not as fast as the GTS in the 1/4 mile or on the track. I am sure everybody here would love a dual overhead cam motor and 800+ NA HP, the problem is that setup would be expensive as hell and from the bean counting perspective, would be a nightmare to warranty. Hell, I read on a forum somewhere the other day that a testarossa engine refresh with all the bells and whistles was around 15K. That car did not have anywhere near the miles that were on my GTS and I am positive that owner did not drive the car nearly as hard as I did. The 'Truck Engine" concept/layout design was built to last and take a ton of abuse. The pie in the sky stuff is a bit more finicky and not as reliable. Look how the GTS-R spanked the prototypes at the 24 hours of Daytona in 2000, or how the 1968 Ford GT 40 spanked even the Long tail Porsche 917 prototypes with their flat 12 cylinder engines and cutting edge technology for the time? Why did the Viper and FGT beat all the prototypes?RELIABILITY.

If somebody wants to have a car that can destroy all the current "factory supercars" on the the street for around 50K, just get a forged Gen 2 GTS and put on a mild turbo system and be done with it..... People usually think a well maintained GTS is new when they see it anyway.

What SRT has done with the Gen 5 is an incredible, world class machine that is derived from the GTS DNA, yet has stepped into the modern age of high end interior acoutrements, I love the dash with shift light and all the road course data logging capibilities and such. I bet the traction control will be able to control how much torque goes to the wheels making the car hook beautifully. It is an amazing car period.

Does anybody know if the 3.55 combined with tire height transmission gearing will allow for 60 MPH in 1st gear or will 6200 RPM/3.55/28" tire need to shift to 2nd?

To mod this Gen V for big power forced induction is not going to be cheap either. ECU wise, unless an acceptable form of piggyback can be devised, we are talking about 7-12K minimum for a PRO EFI, Pectel or MoTeC once everything is wired and ready to go. The compression ratio of the motor and piston quench will determine how much boost could be added to the stock setup. But I think that somebody who will be spending 120+K on a new Viper will not be trying to do an economy piggyback ECU setup. Footwell turbo setups are difficult on the Gen 3 and 4 cars due to the frame and engine compartment layouts in terms of achieving gravity draining turbo placement as well as fitment of properly sized air filters. So, in absolute terms, unless somebody is willing to see how much power a stock Gen V motor can hold before letting go, a big power Gen V with engine build, ECU, fuel system, turbo system, driveline upgrades ie clutch,rear end/halfshafts, and tuning will probably cost at least 80K when it's all said and done. Now we are getting into TT Lambo range....There may be a few ********* Viper guys out there who might want to do this, but not many. I hope I am wrong.

So with all that said, I think this car will fare very well against anything in it's price range from the factory as there is a lot more competition in the automotive industry for big power street 'super' cars than there was when the Gen I and Gen II Vipers came out.

People crying about how the Mustang has more power are not looking at the big picture IMO.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2009 Viper hung right there with the ZR1 in battle of the supercars and even beat it 0-60. A 2010 Viper would have beaten the ZR1 all the way around. The Gen V looks to be infinitely better.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like I said above, I think the 640 is only a preliminary number, and if I were a betting man, I bet it will come in higher when the car actually hits showrooms.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I wish people would stop saying that this engine has "forged internals". The internals coming in this engine will surely be stronger than the Gen-4 parts, but they are NOT on par with the aftermarket. Do not think for a second that you can slap on a TT kit and be done with it- all of the same problems for forced induction from the Gen-4 will translate over to the Gen-5, as they are nearly identical powertrain wise and engine management wise... if not worse because of the joined ECU/ABS w/traction and stability control.

The engine has "Forged POWDERED METAL" connecting rods, the same thing that all 2004+ cars have. Also, the pistons are probably very similar if not identical to the ARCX pistons, and while stronger than the stock ones, are not even in the same league as some of the billet machined pistons out there.

In short, dont let your imagination run away based on some creative wording and commentary.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought the "forged internal" GTS cars handled boost quite well. If your saying these new parts aren't forged then they won't hold the boost.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, thanks Jon. I look forward to meeting you in person. Some of us have been Viper enthusiasts since day one but could not afford to own one. Some have been blessed with the ability to own mulitiple Vipers and have been here for years. I applaud you. In truth there are things about the Gen V that I don't like but as is the goal with any new car it is incrementally better than the models that came before it and I applaud SRT for what they brought to the table. So Jon, sorry you are disappointed, but telling my to F off? ****** move. Just proves money and being the owner of "mulitple Vipers and been here for many years" doesn't increase your level of class.

Just ignore him, Jon likes to down other members. Look at his posts. I think it makes him feel better.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala