OS Giken Differential in Viper

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sam Hubinette the Drift guy !!!

He beat the CRAPP out of it forever,,,,,great unit, and does NOT need to drill the axles like the UK unit. Units costs a bit more, but labor less....result is a GREAT Super-Lock LSD for the price of a UK unit, maybe a bit less.....

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like not many Vipers know about this differential. Jon gave it a thumbs up as you can see in his post. I am ordering mine as we speak. From what I have read about this differential it seems to be the one to own. Let me know how your thoughts on this.

I have a 3:55 coming my way next week and can't wait to give it a try to compare to the Quaife.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like not many Vipers know about this differential. Jon gave it a thumbs up as you can see in his post. I am ordering mine as we speak. From what I have read about this differential it seems to be the one to own. Let me know how your thoughts on this.

Even compared to the Gen 4?

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sam Hubinette the Drift guy I watched him beat the crap out of his car at Infineion last year. Same differential. This is a differential is race proven to be tops. I am looking so forward to getting mine.

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OS Giken make a diff for the Viper????? Is it meant for something else?

I assume it's clutch based and not a Mechanical/Torsen diff?

I ran an OS Giken Triple Plate Clutch in my R33 GT-R at over 800hp, it never complained a peep.. They make some of the best Japanese parts for sure.

Is it 1.5 Way or 2 Way?

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but how is a locking diff better on the street, or is it going to be used for Drag racing / Drifting/ Track or simply for Street use and a bit of track/strip etc..?

Clutch based diffs when set up aggressively will lock up all the time, make really loud clicking noises and hop wheels when turning even at slow speeds on the street.. Otherwise, it will act like an open diff, which takes us back to the whole point of having some form of Limited Slip Torque biasing diff..

Isn't a torque biasing unit more appropriate for the street, needs no service and practically just as good for drag racing and circuit use?

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guy give Devin a call at unitrax he is more up on this than me. Devin told me that he can set it up for both street and race. He would be the best guy to ask.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yep, call Devin.

This diff seems more at home on the drag strip IMHO.

Dan

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
info on
OS Super Lock LSD
OS Giken Co. Ltd. of Japan has recently introduced its highly respected and race proven OS Super Lock LSD. The Super Lock was in development for four years before its initial release.
The OS Giken Super Lock LSD is more closely related to the disc-based TracLok LSD found in the Dodge Viper from 1992 through 2002. However, that is where the comparison ends. The revolutionary Super Lock is a true 100% locking LSD that instantly reacts and transitions smoothly from both free and locked positions, combining open differential drivability and limited slip differential performance and stability.
The OS Giken Super Lock features innovative technologies like the adjustable lock timing adjuster. Lock timing can be adjusted by replacing the springs in the pressure ring. Initial torque settings also adjustable through cone springs located at ends of clutch stacks. This allows the Super Lock to be tuned to meet your exact needs for optimum performance. UNITRAX is an authorized tune center and can discuss tuning for a variety of environments.

OS Giken is committed to producing an extreme quality LSD. Every Super Lock is manufactured from only the finest materials, regardless of the production cost. The Super Lock housing is manufactured from a proprietary billet steel alloy which is then heat-treated when finished. The gears are all hot forged. This attention to detail improves the precision and performance of the product.

U.S. patented bevel gear-in-pressure ring mechanism has enabled OS Giken engineers to miniaturize each gear, thus providing more space for up to an unprecedented number (28) of all-steel friction plates. The Increased number of friction plates improves the locking force of the LSD enabling it to lock fully and completely. An added benefit to being a fully locking mechanism is that less heat is generated, thus resulting in incredibly higher durability and reliability in even in the toughest racing environments.

OS Giken states that they have tested the Super Lock for over 22,000 performance miles and upon inspection of the unit, there was no wear, no loss of initial torque, and no loss of performance. UNITRAX has inspected a Super Lock that was run in three race seasons. The unit showed no signs of wear and many of the components looked as if they had just come out of production.

The higher locking force provides excellent straight-line stability at the drag strip. The Super Lock will lock 100% and transfer torque equally to each wheel.

You will experience less under-steer during cornering. When entering a corner with the throttle closed, the spring inside the pressure control ring will react accordingly and immediately return the Super Lock to its original torque settings. When exiting a corner, the Super Lock’s transition to the 100% locked position is smooth and predictable, resulting in better traction, stability and quicker exit speeds.
One key feature separating the Super Lock from our other clutch type LSD’s is that with the Spec-S (standard) settings, the Super Lock is actually able to function as a open differential at low speed/low torque situations. Thus, when performing a normal slow speed turn (such as a right hand turn on the street) or backing out of a parking space, our differential functions as a normal open differential, allowing smooth turning without premature wheel lock. Of course with performance settings, such as drift which would require a much higher setting of initial torque, some premature locking may occur.
The Super Lock does not require that the stub axles be drilled. The OS Giken engineers designed the unit to be center-weighted. The unit comes with a new long stub axle so both stub axles will be the same length. It is recommended to use O.S. Giken’s or Schaeffer’s 80w250, or Synergyn Syngear II.
The Super Lock is used competitively in the U.S.A., Europe, U.A.E., Japan, Greece, and Australia. It also has a large following in the drifting community.
The OS Giken Super Lock meets the needs of the demanding driver who is comfortable with the way his SRT 10 feels with the stock Hydra-Lok or Visco-Lok but wants the tuneability, dependability, and durability that a fully race-engineered and manufactured LSD offers. The Super Lock may quickly become the preferred choice in the Viper race community

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one on the way. I am pulling a Quaiffe to install this new diff.
I shouldf be able to get a good comparison betweeen the Quaiffe and the OS Gilken LSD as the comparison will be on the same car. (06 cpe, with SCTprogrammer, KN intake. and (no cats) exhaust are only engine mods.)

Unfortunately, it will be about 2 weeks...:dunno:

GTSNRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one on the way. I am pulling a Quaiffe to install this new diff.
I shouldf be able to get a good comparison betweeen the Quaiffe and the OS Gilken LSD as the comparison will be on the same car. (06 cpe, with SCTprogrammer, KN intake. and (no cats) exhaust are only engine mods.)

Unfortunately, it will be about 2 weeks...:dunno:

Will you be selling the Quaife? I need one for my TT:(

M

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will you be selling the Quaife? I need one for my TT:(

M

After talking to Mike at XVIPERS, I think I am going to put the Gilken diff. in my TT car...

I have a Quaiffe in the car now, but I'm told the Gilken may be better for for TT power... :D

Won't be able to give a comparison on the diffs. as the TT car isn't finished yet...

michaelnouri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OS Giken Differential is the only way to go for a future viper installs,
in the past, the quaife was the only option, and good option, however, the new design unit by os giken, ends the need to purchase a quaife for the srt-10's.
os is the new standard, center weighted, no drilling, no machining, no cutting and chopping up stub axles. it was built to fit the unit in a balance method.

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't agree more.
OS Giken Differential is the only way to go for a future viper installs,
in the past, the quaife was the only option, and good option, however, the new design unit by os giken, ends the need to purchase a quaife for the srt-10's.
os is the new standard, center weighted, no drilling, no machining, no cutting and chopping up stub axles. it was built to fit the unit in a balance method.

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unitrax is having some problems getting the OS Giken. Seems some parts were manfactured
incorrectly. Talking with Devin yesterday it may be another month.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GRREEAAATTTTT !!!!!!!!!!....:smirk:

I was waiting also. I knew there was a delay but didn't know it would be that long....

Thanks for the update...

BTW... is a Gilken transmission next???

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do these things work with high horsepower Vipers? I have some of the high end Unitrax half shafts, but I am really worried about blowing out my half shafts and diff. I was thinking about going with mark Williams and quaife.

You want to sell some product. I will run your stuff at the dragstrip and I have 1600+ HP. If it holds up to my abuse, I think that would prove it.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure they are a fantastic piece of gear, the stuff they make for Skylines is impressive too.

However to throw out a quaife for one on a street car or a road race car I would question - unless you want to drift.

The fundamental difference is that the quaife is not a true LSD - it applies power to both wheels in a straight line, but to the side that needs it most when traction is lost. It is this function that enables more power out of turns because it is applying more power to the OUTSIDE wheel which means to you get power down and can steer the car.

By comparison, once traction is lost with a locked diff (OS Giken under power) you cannot steer a locked diff car on steering wheel input alone eg. out of a corner or when the back flicks out! You have to steer LSD cars with the throttle as well once they lose traction. This is perfect for drifting, great for drag racing (until the car goes sideways) but terribly unsafe on public roads unless you have the feel and skill to match.

For super high powered cars I would be keeping the quaife - much safer - but then I'm past needing to powerslide at 125mph steering on the throttle yelling "yee haa yahoo!"

:D

Still, for LSD applications - I'd bet this OS Giken will be better than anything else.

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting comment. I beleive the OS Giken can be set up to do many applications. Not just drag racing. I spoke with Devin at Unitrax and this is what I was told.

I am sure they are a fantastic piece of gear, the stuff they make for Skylines is impressive too.

However to throw out a quaife for one on a street car or a road race car I would question - unless you want to drift.

The fundamental difference is that the quaife is not a true LSD - it applies power to both wheels in a straight line, but to the side that needs it most when traction is lost. It is this function that enables more power out of turns because it is applying more power to the OUTSIDE wheel which means to you get power down and can steer the car.

By comparison, once traction is lost with a locked diff (OS Giken under power) you cannot steer a locked diff car on steering wheel input alone eg. out of a corner or when the back flicks out! You have to steer LSD cars with the throttle as well once they lose traction. This is perfect for drifting, great for drag racing (until the car goes sideways) but terribly unsafe on public roads unless you have the feel and skill to match.

For super high powered cars I would be keeping the quaife - much safer - but then I'm past needing to powerslide at 125mph steering on the throttle yelling "yee haa yahoo!"

:D

Still, for LSD applications - I'd bet this OS Giken will be better than anything else.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62