OS Giken Differential in Viper

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK so this differential has no way to torque bias back and forth left to right as the Quaife does then right? I feel the shifting of the Quaife's torque is a huge advantage to keeping the rear end "behind" you, be it straight line or cornering... I will reserve the right to remain un bias for now, but that said my Quaife is staying for now.

So Mark, you put in a Quaiffe in your 08 (replacing the Giken)?

spmorgan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone have any real world experience with the Giken on the street yet? I was going to get the Quaife unit, but I'm hearing from a vendor that the Giken is a more desirable unit.

Shawn

Nyoka

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm the 08+ Vipers came stock with this diff?

Flash
Gen IV diff is ViscoLok: very different from this. BTW, I fried mine after 15,000 miles of mostly highway driving...max 4 hours of track time at 80-90% of car's capability, no 1/4 mile runs, no street racing. If it happens again, I'll go with this Giken unit.

Reaction score
Does anyone have any real world experience with the Giken on the street yet? I was going to get the Quaife unit, but I'm hearing from a vendor that the Giken is a more desirable unit.

Shawn

This will be dependent on the usage, could be true for drag racing, but that would be it in my book. The Quaife will always be faster on the track and safer on the street because of its ability to help steer the rear end and keep it going straight behind you even when the wheels are slipping.

Reaction score
Great article, may change my thinking a bit, but would really require a owner to know what they are doing to optimize it, then be able to detect any wear that would need to be re-tuned out of the diff. Sounds like a winner for a serious racer that is capable of taking the diff in and out to adjust it to their liking. Not the typical Viper owner though I suspect.

Thanks for sharing!

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would be interesting to see track time differences in a viper from both types of differentials . Other sites with different cars show the advantage going to the OS GIKEN , in lower road track times. :eater: :drive:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the giken in my car for a few hundred miles now. I havent been able to really push it since i did 3.33s at the same time which required break in but I can tell you i did a few spirited runs and was impressed. Under hard acceleration the car stayed dead straight. I am looking forward to some track time.

From everyone i spoke with the giken is the way to go.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez, can't wait till Spring when someone might bump this thread with something useful in the way of info. You two seem to be the only ones who've done it and no real feedback yet. Aside from the hard spirited runs staying dead straight anyway. Not to be unappreciative of your beta input, as it were, but get back to us when you know more.

OP
OP
C

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it gives you more power to the tires. I have run it on the track but, I don't consider myself the road racer of the day. All I can say is it hooks up better, it improved my drag times by nearly .5 second. The diff is very strong out of the hole. I have sheared my driver half shaft on a burn out. Shifting gears really locks up the Giken no slack no slipping just bites and goes. The one thing I do know comparing the two the 04 OEM diff is pretty weak. I don't think you can break the OS Giken. I guess you can compare it to the stock hoops on the car versus a real rollbar.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I guess Canyon and I are the only ones thus far but I am sure there will be more soon. Unfortunately the weather here in NY hasnt cooperated much so I havent had much seat time.

Geez, can't wait till Spring when someone might bump this thread with something useful in the way of info. You two seem to be the only ones who've done it and no real feedback yet. Aside from the hard spirited runs staying dead straight anyway. Not to be unappreciative of your beta input, as it were, but get back to us when you know more.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best part about that atricle was the old Chevrolet Film explaining how the diff works and why it's called a differential. Very Cool

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah I guess Canyon and I are the only ones thus far but I am sure there will be more soon. Unfortunately the weather here in NY hasnt cooperated much so I havent had much seat time.

I just ordered one from JonB and will have it mid January after I get back from Hawaii. However I'm in North East Ohio and lots of snow and will not get to test it out with any hard driving. I'll be lucky if I get to take it out once for some slow driving in the cold lol :omg:

Reaction score
Just today I'm installing a test Giken in my Viper. I hope to trailer it out of the wintry weather and get some real feed back to Unitrax. If I like it I keep it if not back to the Quaife. I will also be trying a dozen different spring combinations that will better suit my driving style and autocrossing so in the end I hope to have a winning combo I'm comfortable recommending over and above our normal Moton/Bach set up.

My Solo season will start soon and also the instructing at the tracks. I will let you know of course how things are progressing from this end along with Nader and the guys. Install is going well and it does look like a very stout unit.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark,

Did you see the comparison in Grassroots Motorsports mag with the Giken, Quaife and one other diff I can't think of right now? It is available online on their website. Sounds like the Giken is the hot ticket for autocrossing with the standard setup. I guess the drifter guys tighten it up even more with different spring settings.

Will the Giken also help you slow down more under deceleration since both rear wheels slow the car down (instead of one possibly free wheeling)? That might help in autocrossing since it may make the car more predictable when coming into a corner under compression braking. Let us know your thoughts on this.

Cheers,
George

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had mine in my car now for about 3000 miles including several track events and absolutely love it. Straights line traction is vastly improved and the car stays dead straight. In the corners the clutches work flawlessly provide great stability out of a corner.

Couldn't be happier.

Anyone have updated info on this subject ? Considering the GKN ? :eater: :)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After 2 years and 9 months, my Gen IV differential lost its positraction function. ( I felt something was wrong at Homestead a week ago and had it checked.) It's still driveable but I will not be doing any spirited driving until it is replaced. I am having a Giken put in late next week. We chose the Giken because we believe that it is the most robust piece available for my power level.

I will let you know what I think after breakin and testing.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will let you know what I think after breakin and testing.

Wow. What a perfect setup to my ugly segment. They clearly state on their web site no break-in. Even put it in bold. But I have statements from the vendor I bought it from, from several owners, of what to expect, what happens during break-in.

Bottom line...

OSGIKEN LIES TO YOU.

Plain and simple.

I'm sure there will be a reply by some that have a stake in this, but tread softly. As usual, I have records to substantiate everything I say.

With now 2K miles on mine the non exsistent break-in effect still exists, although not as frequently.

To all that are considering this product, carefully evaluate your application.

Frequenty Asked Questions | OS GIKEN

You must be registered for see images

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave. You have a Gen II. I have a Gen III with a modified Gen IV tranny. After reviewing the pros and cons of replacing the stock Gen IV diff with a Quaife or a Giken ( with special attention given to my car's power levels 685/615 to the rear wheels), it was determined by a number of individuals from separate enterprises, including some with very high automotive mechanical skill sets, that the Giken would be best for my vehicle and the way it is utilized. None of those individuals had/has a dealer or distribution relationship with Giken. Their well thought out and reasoned opinion made sense to me. With that said, I think that if I was running a bit less power that I would have selected the Quaife.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte