Out of a Viper for a little while

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, still can't believe it happened.

Its been three weeks, and things are finally settled with the insurance company so I feel comfortable going forward with this story. I was driving to a show at the Redskins facility a few Sunday mornings ago. I was driving safely and not much over the speed limit like I usually do in the mornings. I needed to get off onto an exit ramp from the DC Beltway, and I got hung up in a pack of cars. Like many of you I'm sure, I never let myself get boxed in, and when I do, I'm constantly checking the mirrors to find an "escape" should the need arise. The area is unfamiliar to me, and to make matters worse, it's a construction zone with walls right up against the lanes. I'm sort of stuck, but continue trying to merge over. I'm closely following an azzhole in an Expedition who has just cut in front of me. It all happens so quickly, even at "only" 65mph, and the Expedition unexpectedly darts back to the left to stay on the Beltway, and all I see is the wall dividing the Beltway and the exit ramp staring me right in the face! I cut the wheel to the left to avoid the barrier, but I was already too close to miss. I locked the brakes up and ran into the water barrels which line up to the wall facing oncoming traffic. The very right front of the car, and right wheel/suspension take the brunt of the impact.

No airbags deploy, I'm perfectly fine, and I'm able to get right out and start inspecting the scene and the car. I already have a sinking feeling that it's totaled, as I can see some damage to the footwell area, and of course the frame looks like it's leaning in towards the engine bay too far. With that said, I'm surprised at this point how "well" the car looks. It gets towed to a local lot (I'm out of state at this point) and a few days later it comes back to a local body shop I've used through the years. With just a few more pieces taken off the car for a closer inspection, we already know everything from here on out will be a formality.

When I installed my KWs and 3pc wheels last year, I called my insurance company to make sure things like that would be covered should something happen. I have read all about getting an agreed value policy, and while I looked into it, I never followed through. At that time, they assured me if they were on the car, they would be covered etc. Once it's officially totalled in insurance companies eyes (around $67k damage!), I begin talking with the Total Loss department. I ask them about my extra's, and as you can already assume, "they would take them into consideration," but reminded me "they were insuring a stock Viper, and I had been paying premiums on a stock Viper."

We get down to numbers, and I have to admit, they're first offer was surprisingly decent. I had already been in contact with a fella named Jon in the upper Northwest, and we were preparing to unleash hell. However, when I spoke to Jon the last time, we both agreed there wasn't going to be much wiggle room on their offer, and I thanked him for his advice and time, and told him I'd see what else I could on my own. I start preparing comps and 2006 Coupe values from KBB/NADA/eBay/Autotrader/CarGurus. We're going back and forth a few days, and we finally agree on a new price....about $5000 more than their first offer! I'm absolutely stunned, and even get reimbursed for 6% Sales Tax too!

Once we agree to that price, it's time to focus on my mods. Since they've only been insuring a stock Viper, they're getting a stock Viper back to tow to the junkyard. I run that by the Total Loss department, and they're cool with that. A crazy PM spree ensues, and I start trying to locate some stock wheels/tires/coilovers/diff etc from local members. I get a random PM responding to a thread I started in the New York region, and we chat on the phone about my predicament. Turns out, this member has all the parts I need, and is willing to drive halfway down to Maryland to help me out! He decides to take my 2008 hood on an even trade, so it only cost us both a morning of driving...talk about great members, and good luck!

Now, onto the good news! I'm currently getting a new RF coilover and wheel made to complete the set, and storing everything in my garage. I previously had a 2003 Vert, and had thought hard about jumping into a Gen IV when I bought this 2006 coupe. I decided to hang on to some cash and splurge on the next Viper, which would be a Gen V (that was a year and a half ago...I assumed I would like the Gen V!) But, I haven't quite saved up enough that I feel comfortable to get into a Gen V, so it looks like I might be into a Gen IV after all (or maybe another Gen III with a Paxton again)

I'll be down at VOI like I had planned, but will be riding shotgun with friends instead of driving. Losing the car *****, but missing out on the cool stuff at VOI really stings the most. I'll just use it as an oppurtunity to search out my next car/color combo, and to enjoy the people as much as the car.

Onto the pics....they start out so unassuming:(

You must be registered for see images attach

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow Ryan, sorry to hear the news, but really glad it wasn't worse and that you are Ok. Window shopping in Charlotte won't be the same as having your car there, but who knows, maybe you will find your next Viper there. Good luck and see you at VOI.

Ron

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about the accident but view it as a new beginning....time to move on. Enjoy the search....you're lucky it was a total.

Bill

ViperCobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow :(.. Glad that you're OK. I have always liked your Blue Viper and the set up you had on it :)

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ryan, this just sickens me, you haven't even had the car that long. I just met you, and your car, for the first time this past March at the chapter meeting (I'm the guy with the black 03 that followed Steve down).

Important thing is, you weren't hurt, and again, shows how safe and durable these cars are. Lots of nice Gen 4s out there. I've sniffed around as well, but can't justify it...I can't use all the power of my Gen 3!

Please keep us posted.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan....so glad you are OK!! That's one beautiful Viper, sorry to see it go that way....... you'll have the next one equally nice!

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Man, I'm sorry to hear this Ryan. Your coupe was one of the best looking rides out there. Really liked your previous black vert too. Good luck with your next ride, I'm sure it will be epic.

Doug

SNIPERDOG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
holy crap!!! Glad you are ok.,., but that *****..,., those damn ford drivers :mad:

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear the news, alway love the look of the car!! Like other have said good news you are ok, cars can be replaced live not so. Good luck with the new car please post when done.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very sorry to hear the news, glad you are ok and can move on.
Good luck with whatever you get.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Major bummer but glad you are ok. Good luck finding your next Viper!!

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey bud...we've already talked about this whole situation a bit, but I'd like to just say publicly that my heart goes out to you. You helped bring me into the Viper world and while my temporary absence is by choice, I know how frustrating this must be for you. I would say that I'll keep my eyes open for you on Gen 4s, but you'll already know about them. Glad you're OK. **** luck.

-CC

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ryan.... we all feel the pain of loosing a great viper, sorry to hear the bad news, just as long as your ok that's all that matters, always something new to look forward to Good luck.

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan, I'm glad once again that you are ok, the car can and will be replaced. Have fun at VOI. Who knows, you might not be riding shotgun on the way back.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like everyone else said - the important thing is that you are OK! Sometimes people don't turn out OK. Cars can be replaced. Good luck with everything and hang in there. :2tu:

JPUConn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Scary story - glad you are ok and from a fellow '06 Coupe owner I hope you made out ok on the insurance settlement.

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Really ***** about the accident and loss of Viper. :( On the upside, it sounds like you got a fair deal from the insurance company and you made out ok financially.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you are ok! Cars are easily replaced, body parts not so much!

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ryan like everyone else has said we are just glad out buddy is ok. And like Ive already said things work out for a reason so take that great insurance settlement and go buy a gen 4 asap!!! TTYL :2tu:

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry to hear about the car dude, Im sure your next one will be just as spectacular.

Ripper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of this Ryan ... as the others have stated, car can be replaced but you , cannot. Very Glad to hear you are ok

Good luck with the new search ! I have no doubt the next car will be killer !

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! Water barrels?
I'm gonna get puckered up the next time I drive past a water barrel! :omg:
Glad you're ok. :2tu:
Mike

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
***** to see any wrecked Viper, but especially yours - it looked damn good!

Don't be in a hurry to replace it, you'll likely get better deals on that Gen 4 come Jan-Feb when it is winter and the Gen 5 cars hit the streets. People will begin selling their 3s and 4s.

Or, just save up and buy the Gen 5 sometime next year.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AH,

stinks about being victimized,

glad things worked out as well as they did,

looking fwd to seeing your next viper :drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper