Painted my stock calipers...BIG improvement!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been wanting to powdercoat my calipers for a while now, but never did it. A local guy (former Viper owner) painted the calipers on his new DD and posted some pics on Facebook. When I told him how good it looked, he said to bring the Viper by this weekend and we'd paint them as well. We're gonna replace the "VIPER" logo on the calipers next weekend and probably paint the hats on the rotors black at the same time.

My RH caliper was fine, but my LH looked like complete garbage:
You must be registered for see images attach

After sanding it down and painting:

With wheel back on:

We also did the rears since they also looked pretty rough:

Some full car shots after we finished:

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did mine too. I took them apart and mounted new rotors and pads while I was at it.

Attachments

• IMG_20111009_145528.jpg
    IMG_20111009_145528.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 161
OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paint some silver stripes on it and then it would be perfect!!!

I have been thinking about stripes, but I'm not a huge fan of stripes on a RT/10, so I can't make up my mind. Next up is getting my intake manifold and valve covers powder coated hopefully this week.

Time to go back to the yellow wheels!!! Looks good. :)

Probably one day, but I'm still enjoying the bling bling of the chrome :)

looks great! nice job polishing your wheels too!

Thanks! The wheels are chrome, which makes them soooooo easy to get clean. They were pretty dirty when I got there and all I did was grab a towel and wipe them down and they became clean enough to snap a couple pics :) I'll get the car washed this week and hit the wheels with some chrome polish and REALLY have them shiny!

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've got to come out of the closet one of these days Chad (with that YELLOW Viper decal on the side) I have a feeling Duane, that if he did put the stripes on it, they would be YELLOW! Lol jmo

Matt - the more you post, the more I like you...lol.

Chad - withholding any comments about red vs. yellow....great job. They look awesome!

Last edited:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great Chad, but for the rears You should get Toms 40mm rear brake caliper covers in Red, they will really make a diffrence, they attach to the small holes either end of the outside pad ;)

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've got to come out of the closet one of these days Chad (with that YELLOW Viper decal on the side) I have a feeling Duane, that if he did put the stripes on it, they would be YELLOW! Lol jmo

Someone else within the past week or 2 told me to go with yellow stripes. I think you're all crazy :D

Matt - the more you post, the more I like you...lol.

Chad - wihholding any comments about red vs. yellow....great job. They look awesome!

Thanks Andrew! Prob the cheapest mod I've ever done to the car, but still makes a big difference visually

Good Lord, that things needs to be lowered, Chad. New painted calipers look good though.

This was right after we got done putting the final wheel back on and the suspension hadn't settled back down yet from the car being jacked up. I almost took it for a spin around the block to get it to lower a little bit before the pics, but didn't worry about it. Its at stock height which is where I have to keep it because my driveway at home is pretty steep. You should see a couple pics we took while it was jacked up. I could've fit 30" wheels on it! :)

Looks great Chad, but for the rears You should get Toms 40mm rear brake caliper covers in Red, they will really make a diffrence, they attach to the small holes either end of the outside pad ;)

Thats also on the to-do list!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad, dude.....why replace the Viper logo when you now have the perfect spot for a ******* logo!

Red looks good. What kind of paint did you use? will it hold up to high temps?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time to go back to the yellow wheels!!! Looks good. :)

Well spoken! :D

Chad - wihholding any comments about red vs. yellow....great job. They look awesome!

I am not sure I have as much self control as you. :D

Thats what I was going to ask!

Chad, you dummy! You left out the important part! What did you use! :rolaugh:

Have to say this but they look good and you did a very nice job. I do think the yellow wheels would look good on it.......

And yes, do a yellow stripe or two. :D

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad, dude.....why replace the Viper logo when you now have the perfect spot for a ******* logo!

Thats almost tempting :D We used a Duplicolor brake caliper painting kit. The paint is good up to 500*F. The kit is available at Advance Auto for $20. Comes with everything you need. After doing my car and his car, he still has close to 1/3 of a can of paint left. Here's a link to the kit: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=duplicolor+caliper+paint+kit&gs_upl=1219l1746l1l2068l4l3l0l1l1l1l229l535l0.2.1l4l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=653&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12038289124446436596&sa=X&ei=XuWuTqekOYmTtwf24vHYDg&ved=0CEwQ8wIwAQ

I am not sure I have as much self control as you. :D
You don't have as much common sense either, but that goes without saying

Thats what I was going to ask!

Chad, you dummy! You left out the important part! What did you use! :rolaugh:

You're lucky Bob asked as well, or I would've NEVER told you!

Have to say this but they look good and you did a very nice job.

Ofcourse they look good. They're red!

I do think the yellow wheels would look good on it.......

Thats a hotly debated subject :D

And yes, do a yellow stripe or two. :D

No. Just plain no.

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thats also on the to-do list!

Oops, I misread your post the 1st time. I thought you were suggesting I buy Tom's 40mm rear brake caliper upgrade (not just the covers). I do have a black set of his covers. I guess I could throw a coat or 2 of red on each of them, replace the "VIPER" logo and bolt them up. Thanks for the idea!

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good Chad. I painted my calipers the same way (except I used GTS Blue) and I think they turned out pretty good. Not perfect, but they are behind the wheels and you have to get very close to notice anything. Nice job.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That decal on his fender is the famous "Prancing Snake" that was Dodges not too subtle poke at Ferrari fender mounted Prancing Horse.

Chad can put the ******* emblem someplace else. Perhaps mounted down low so the girls need to bend way over to get a look : >)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another little known Dodge brake fact is that before SRT the white lettering on the calipers was also a heat indicator.

Bright White ment mostly street usage.

Off white said you were getting some heat into your brakes.

Yellow usually indicated some track time, and serious use.

Gold indicated heavy track use with sticky tires.

Viper Techs could tell at a glance what type of use the car was getting.

Those Gold letterings were kind of a badge of honor for us track rats.

(Easy to tell the posers)

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
don't pick on fatboy, he doesn't speak 'merican

pram
American Heritage Dictionary:
pram1

(prăm)
n. Chiefly British
A baby carriage.

[Shortening and alteration of PERAMBULATOR.]

pram2 (präm)
n.
Chiefly New England. A small dinghy having a flat, snub-nosed bow.
A flatbottom boat used chiefly in the Baltic Sea as a barge.

learn something new everyday :2tu: