Picked up my GTS Today

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
28k miles 96 Blue/White GTS at $42000 for those who are keeping track. I took a friend who is a Cobra owner and mechanic to look over the car. I will get some picks out in the sun tomorrow. Funny thing is I got my first ticket within three hours of getting the car. Drove all the way back from Houston to Austin and got a speeding ticket on the Toll 2 miles from my house. The DPS trooper said I was going 84 in a 70 and cited me for this along with a warning for no insurance, no front plate. The insurance card was in my truck that was being driven home by my friend. Best part was when the trooper asked if there was a reason for the excessive speed :)

You must be registered for see images

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! Looks Great! So .............. what was the excuse for the excessive speed? Did you tell him you were just breaking it in?

OP
OP
S

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Naturally he picked me out of the crowd of 6 or so cars. I even handed him my concealed carry license, usually helps and my glock 22 was in the passenger seat. He didnt even budge on that so I just kept my chin up. I have an ****** 8500 and it just pegged out as soon as we got in view to late at that point. Now I just need to learn how to open and close the hood. Back to reading.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
... Now I just need to learn how to open and close the hood. Back to reading....

DONT MAKE ANY MISTAKES !!!!! Read the owners manual maybe in the seat pocket behind your seat...maybe you dont even know its there?

When you CLOSE the hood is when damage occurs. Be sure to apply downward pressure rearward of the NACA duct, On The Stripes. Do Not Close The Hood By Pushing Down FORWARD of the NACA Duct.

CONGRATS: Send me your name and address for some 1996 GTS welcome Doo-Dads. And JOIN THE VCA !!! 1-800-998-1110 9a-4p ET

pugads651

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DONT MAKE ANY MISTAKES !!!!! Read the owners manual maybe in the seat pocket behind your seat...maybe you dont even know its there?

When you CLOSE the hood is when damage occurs. Be sure to apply downward pressure rearward of the NACA duct, On The Stripes. Do Not Close The Hood By Pushing Down FORWARD of the NACA Duct.

CONGRATS: Send me your name and address for some 1996 GTS welcome Doo-Dads. And JOIN THE VCA !!! 1-800-998-1110 9a-4p ET

congrats on the new viper but it sounds like you need a valentine 1.:2tu:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the B/W club, brutha. :2tu:
Remember, if there are 10 cars all zipping along at 75 mph, you WILL be the one picked out to get stopped.
Vipers look like they are speeding when they are parked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow that's a beautiful Viper! you have to be in hog heaven huh?

he just wanted to see your car:D

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations! Great looking BW!

My suggestions:
Get it up on a lift, and clean it up underneath REAL GOOD! Most owners IMO, do not take care of the areas they can't see. Then you will know exactly what you have and how you want to keep it! :2tu:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Viper. Welcome to the ticket on the way home club. I picked mine up in Va and got a ticket for 69 in a 55 on the way home in Md. The thing that really sucked is my wife was following me in the Truck and got the same ticket. :mad: He got three of in a row. Totally uncalled for IMHO since we were all just going with the flow of traffic. :nono:

OP
OP
S

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an appt. this coming week to get it up on the lift and do exactly as you mention. Im also going to get the fluids, clutch and brake changed along with the oil.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an appt. this coming week to get it up on the lift and do exactly as you mention. Im also going to get the fluids, clutch and brake changed along with the oil.

And, like everyone will recommend, if it has old tires, please seriously consider getting new PS2s. It will be much safer and handle much better if you get rid of old, dried out, hard tires and get the new design.

Also, a Viper is a BIG ticket just waiting to happen. Even though you already got a small one, it does not innoculate you against the big one!

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on getting a great deal on a beautiful Viper. Pre owned Vipers are by far the best bang for the buck.

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And, like everyone will recommend, if it has old tires, please seriously consider getting new PS2s. It will be much safer and handle much better if you get rid of old, dried out, hard tires and get the new design.

An AMEN on the car and the tire recommendation. Just got my PS2s from brother JonB at Parts Rack (you can shop all you want - he's the one) and it made a big difference. You also want some smooth tubes at the same time. It's a fun, easy upgrade that actually makes a difference.

Your car looks great. You saved more than the ticket cost on the purchase, so you're still fine, plus got a story to tell. The first of many far more enjoyable ones I'm sure.

I'm a new GTS owner as well. One of the true supercar bargains of our day.

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking to pick up a GTS in the next week or so. Heading to Dallas next week to look at two of them. There is a guy who lives in my neighborhood (Millwood) Mopac/Parmer with a beautiful B/W. See you around.
-Justin

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Merry Christmas, eh?

You're officially my hero; I have a blue 2005 Ram 1500 quad cab with a Hemi, but if I had to trade up for ANYTHING it's be your quad cab SRT-10 Ram. On top of that, your Ram is red so it matches my Gen. I. And on top of THAT, you get the only best Gen. II color out there!

You're my hero, man; you have both of my dream machines! Shoot me a PM with your phone number and we'll go for a drive after work sometime this week...I just got off my deferred disposition on the 6th!

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to pick up a GTS in the next week or so. Heading to Dallas next week to look at two of them. There is a guy who lives in my neighborhood (Millwood) Mopac/Parmer with a beautiful B/W. See you around.
-Justin

That would be me.................:)

Attachments

• state%20race%2043669.JPG
    state%20race%2043669.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 39

finnsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny how you just can't get enough of the B&W GTS's!!! I find myself standing in the garage staring at my 1996 GTS for god-knows-how long, for no apparent reason! Good buy, enjoy it! :drive:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gorgeous b/w GTS there, sirhc!! Hmmm...reason for excessive speed in a Viper...no reason would be good enough there!! *I just got the car, dude!!!!* Nope, guess that wouldn't work either...LOL...totally ENJOY!!!!~~~~juli

V

Venomiss

Very nice pictures and congratulations!
Right now it is $100 for new members to join the VCA.
Here's an easy way to join online-if you do it before Dec. 31st saves you $15 dollars.
After January 1st it's $115 dollars.

Here it is!

VCA Renewal/joining Message - Introducing PayPal!

You can now renew your VCA Membership in one of 3 ways:
1) Via our new PayPal option at Dodge Viper Magazine
2) by calling Viper Headquarters at 1-800-998-1110 or
3) by mailing us your check or money order. If you choose to use the new PayPal option, you will need your full 17 digit Viper VIN to complete the renewal process. Simply log onto Dodge Viper Magazine and the renewal information is located on the Home Page. If a member doesn't renew their membership via PayPal or by some other method, we will be mailing out renewal notices at the beginning of December

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960